Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fall wine dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 am

Fall wine dinner

by Gary Bobier » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:42 am

You all have been great at helping me with me wine dinners in the past so here is another one.

Anti pasti/ Assorted cheese, salumi, roast peppers, fritatta, olives and other goodies.
Wine Prosecco

Amuse boush (sp)
Toast circle topped with thin sliced zuchini and roast shallot. Poached lobster topped with cream fresh and
caviar. garni of micro herbs
Wine Alsace sparkeling Pinot Blanc

Seared sea scallops with lemon butter and a small portion of fresh salmon Tartar
Wine Quince Sauv Blanc

Grilled fresh jumbo head on shrimp basted with a herb garlic butter
FX Pichler Sauv Blanc

Mixed citrus sorbeto

Osso Bucco gremolata on a bed of roast root vegetables and radichio with a portion of roast califlower puree under the veal.

Wine Valpolicella clasico, Ripaso and Amarone

Tarte Tatan with homemade vanilla ice cream
Moscat blanc late harvest

Finish with vanilla lemoncello
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Fall wine dinner

by Jon Peterson » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Sounds really, really good. The only thing I can do to help is show up!
no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 am

by Gary Bobier » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:29 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Sounds really, really good. The only thing I can do to help is show up!

I am just a bit concerned that the Amuse will be a bit too putsy and that we are changing wines for just a bite or two.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi Gary -- I don't mean this in any sort of unfriendly way, often spelling is a touchy subject -- but I think you might be making menus and I just thought I'd go thru what you posted, see below.

It sounds like a spectacular meal, and a very creative approach to providing some really delicious combinations.

I don't really see how I could improve it. How are you going to use the 3 Veneto wines with the osso buco?

Gary Bobier wrote:Anti pasti/ -> usually one word, antipasti
fritatta -> frittata
Amuse boush (sp) - amuse bouche
zuchini -> zucchini
cream fresh -> crème fraiche
sparkeling -> sparkling
salmon Tartar -> usually "tartare" in this sense
Wine Quince -> Quincy
radichio -> radicchio
califlower -> cauliflower
clasico -> classico
Ripaso -> ripasso
Tarte Tatan -> Tatin
lemoncello -> limoncello
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Hey, I'd go to that dinner.
OK, so hard to argue with antipasti and bubbly!
The amuse sounds great. Cremant d'Alsace is fine, though not sure you need to have a wine for an amuse.
Scallops with salmon tartare- Is Quince a winery, or are you saying a SB with quince flavors?
Shrimp with garlic,I could see Austrian SB working, though not first thought! I love FX Pichler's Riesling,would love to try SB
The Osso Bucco sounds great. But are you talking 3 wines- a Valpo Classico, a Valpo Ripasso, and an Amarone? Valpo Classico I can see, but Amarone (or Amarone styled) seems heavy for veal to me. Personally I'd look west not east, and go with Piedmont.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:02 am

Gary Bobier wrote:i am just a bit concerned that the Amuse will be a bit too putsy and that we are changing wines for just a bite or two.

I think your concern is well placed so don't do it, just make the Prosecco last a little longer.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:41 am

Jon Peterson wrote:
Gary Bobier wrote:i am just a bit concerned that the Amuse will be a bit too putsy and that we are changing wines for just a bite or two.

I think your concern is well placed so don't do it, just make the Prosecco last a little longer.

I'd probably agree unless there will be a bit of time spent with the amuse for some reason.

Looks really good, overall.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:

That would be my second choice. First would be to couple the amuse with the next course and that sauv blanc, so that when the guests sit down (I presume the prosecco/antipasti will not be seated) they start with a fresh, new wine and the rest of the menu.

One other thing for Gary, to consider giving that sorbeto a savory element. Basil works beautifully with citrus fruit and would integrate the sorbet more effectively into the overall meal.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:49 pm

I agree that you have a lovely menu here. I also agree that I would not allocate a wine just for the amuses... either keep the prosecco going or start the sauv blanc sooner. I also agree that the sorbet must be really, really _not_ sweet; introducing an herbal element would work. I am not worried about three big wines with osso buco. I do wonder whether the limoncello will be overkill... with so much food there might not be much room left for a fourth sweet thing (and I'm not even including the amarone).
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:17 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Scallops with salmon tartare- Is Quince a winery, or are you saying a SB with quince flavors?

See my note, I'm pretty sure he means to serve a Quincy... as in "Can See" not John Q Adams.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:11 am

of course, that makes total senses, thanks Frank