Rest / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Rest / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:10 am

bsd
Live to work or work to live.
And then that day of rest. Sleep it away or rejuvenate.
Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Rest / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Birger Vejrum » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:50 am

Harry J wrote:bsd
Live to work or work to live.
And then that day of rest. Sleep it away or rejuvenate.
Have a good one; h

Hi Harry,

Yes, I need to rejuvenate. :wink:

Today Barbaresco "Sori Paolin" 2001 from Cascina Luisin in Barbaresco.

All the best
Birger
Birger Vejrum
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi Harry, shavua tov,

Friday night:

Lueria, Grand Vital 2008: "Grand" as always and an amazing crowd pleaser .

Domaine Ventura, Rubens 2009: Also excellent and very enjoyable.

Shabbat lunch:

GHW, Yarden Syrah 2007: What can I say other than I was very disappointed. This wine is very dark garnet with some purple at the rim, the nose is very reminiscent of the previous vintage with jammy raspberries, vanilla and milk chocolate which is quite fine with me, I love that. However, on the palate the first attack offers overripe and way too sweet raspberries and blackberries as well as sweet cherries, raisins, roasted Mediterranean herbs and mildly bitter chocolate with soft, barely noticeable tannins on the long finish. When I need usually a lot more than that, after only one glass I started to feel the effect of the alcohol. I loved the 2006 but the 2007 is a no-no for me, sorry.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Steven B » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi Harry,

Enjoyed the 2010 Dalton Zinfandel. Really liked the finish on this one.
Steven B
Wine geek

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2007 Recanati Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve. Very nice.

A good week to all,

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Sam M » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:45 am

Dalton petite syrah -Always delicious. Alot has been posted recently on QPR. I'm not trying to reopen the subject here but IMHO this is the best qpr in its price range as we buy it under 20.00 in NY.
Sam m
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Philip Aron » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:08 am

Hi Harry,

Dalton Cabernet Sauvignon 2011

Tanya 2010 Merlot Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz, Reserve [Paid 65 NIS, reduced price]

Philip.
Philip Aron
Wine guru

Postby Shawn Johnson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:20 pm

Dalton Reserve merlot 2010

Dalton estate cab Sauv 2011

Good week to all
Shawn Johnson
Ultra geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:09 pm

2009 Alexander Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (Just every time brings a smile)
2009 Or Haganuz Amuka (The door for friends who want dry wine YET can do NO Acid & Tannin)
2005 Sforno Monastrell Dulce' (The Qpr Port style wine of the year)
2007 Tishbi Estate Shiraz (Rich luscious and great flavors)
2007 Judean Heights Cabernet Sauvignon / Shiraz ( balance (hare of Alcohol) Larger Tannin & FOOD WINE with rich black fruit, mild spice and nice finish)

Love be with you!
Last edited by Yehoshua Werth on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:06 pm

2005 Yarden BdB
2010 Mony "Kikar HaShabbos" Cab-Petite: Smooth and spicy after quite a bit of aeration.
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:50 am

Lots of Spanish wines this week:

2010 Covenant Lavan Chardonnay: A-/** Since last time I had it a few months ago, this chardonnay has come into its own and it is a beauty. It's definitely new world, with pronounced buttery, toasty oak, but everything is perfectly balanced with bright fruit and crisp acidity. It's become surprisingly sweet despite its relative youth--with strong notes of white flower honey. All the classic chardonnay notes, with a long, citrussy finish. Very well done.

2009 Capcanes Peraj Petita: A-/*** This wine took some time to open in the glass. IMHO, this is the best vintage of this great wine (like it's older brother the Peraj). Medium bodied with somewhat translucent ruby coloring, this wine is very food friendly. Very expressive nose, bursting with bright red and purple fruit (rapsberry, cranberry, plum, pomegranate), toasty oak flavors integrate very well with a long espresso finish. Silky, mouth-coating tannins. Among the greatest bargains in the kosher wine world, it compares very favorably with wines costing triple as much. Moreover, this isn't a wine to go to just for the QPR (like say the Recanati Shiraz), it's a wine I'd appreciate even if cost weren't factor at all. It bears a strong family resemblance to the Peraj, but lighter, simpler, brighter, and easier drinking. And of course it won't cellar the way the Peraj will.

2009 Elvi Rioja Mati: B-/** A nice, crisp, earthy wine with nice berries, herbs, and Mediterranean spices and a nice hint of barnyard funk, marred by a bit of volatile acidity.

2008 Elvi Rioja Herenza B++/** Very nice Rioja with bright berries, cranberries, sour plum, nice minerality and earthiness, some understated oaky notes (coffee, vanilla), very crisp acidity balancing it all out (without the unpleasant volatile acidity of its younger brother).

Elvi Sangoria B-/*** I remember Rogov's TN for this wine--although he scored it favorably, he wrote that no one in Spain would dream of buying a Sangoria, as it's easy to make yourself. But where would you find quality wine for $5? By my calculation, making a Sangoria would cost you at least $20 between wine and fruit, so this this is quite a bargain at $5. Unfortunately, it's far too sweet for my palate.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Jonathan K » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:44 am

Shavua Tov!!
Covenant Red C Sauvignon Blanc 2011- excellent accompaniment to pollock filets.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Eli: If making sangria would cost you $ 20 a bottle, then clearly you're not making it properly.

The proper way to make sangria is to start with some inexpensive red wine, some fruit, possibly some fruit juice and optionally some inepensive club soda or sparkling water.

Then you call a group of friends to help make the sangria. As it's being made, you all taste it, so that when you agree it's ready, everyone's in such a good mood that nobody cares exactly how it tastes and how little the wine cost. :D
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby gaston k » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:03 pm

Spent Shabbat in Guangzhou China. Interesting experience.

Trusty companion for kiddush and havdala was a bottle of Psagot Merlot 2007, purchased for $26 from the duty free shop at JFK's Terminal 7. Was only traveling with carry-ons and was worried about having the time to source a bottle of kosher wine while in China, so having the Psagot available at the airport was fantastic. It tasted fine, a little plummy, but absolutely fantastic for making the trip.

Did not have a chance to try Tsing Tao, stuck to Carlsberg and Duvel on the beer side.
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:04 pm

YoelA wrote:Eli: If making sangria would cost you $ 20 a bottle, then clearly you're not making it properly.

The proper way to make sangria is to start with some inexpensive red wine, some fruit, possibly some fruit juice and optionally some inepensive club soda or sparkling water.

Then you call a group of friends to help make the sangria. As it's being made, you all taste it, so that when you agree it's ready, everyone's in such a good mood that nobody cares exactly how it tastes and how little the wine cost. :D

:lol:
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:10 pm

hi;Dalton shiraz 09 .Enjoyed again.h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Adam M » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:25 pm

2010 Carmel kayoumi white reisling. Didn't drink that much of this last week, and lost our rabbit ear air sucker things; so I poured this wine in little empty 8 ounce spring water bottles and stored in the freezer for the week. thawed out for Friday dinner and it was very fresh and delicious. No signs of wear and tear.
2009 Dalton SMV. same freezer storage as per above. same results.
2007 Hevron Heights Isaac's Ram. very good but slight signs of fading.
2001 Yardem merlot magnum. Very good but same signs of fading; brick red to brown edges
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Isaac C » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 am

BR Cohn Cabernet 2008 - very enjoyable, much better than when I had it in March (maybe that bottle was off or it was a dumb phase).
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Pinchas L » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:41 am

HI Harry,

Midbar Orange 44 2010 - With the Orange designation indicating that this white wine underwent a red wine's protocol, and having read the posts by Chaim and Gabe, I expected a funky experience. I didn't quite get that. Yes, I felt the tannins coming as a result of the extended skin contact, and I also found the wine to be round as a result of the malolactic fermentation, but neither of these features are exaggerated. As a result, the wine attempts to compensate with tannin what it lacks in acidity, and the oxidative techniques are intended to add complexity, though that will take time to develop. If I had to call out a characteristic that stands out, I would point to the extra weight of the wine's body. The wine blends 52% Chenin Blanc with 24% of Chardonnay and of Viognier. While there times were the aromatics of the Viognier shines through, for the most part the wine comes across as a fusion of apple cider and pear nectar. I know that Ya'akov feels that this wine, as he feels about many of his other wines, requires several years of bottle age for it to develop complexity and show its potential. At this point in time, the wine is a bit dull, due to the lack of acidity, and the complexity hasn't kicked in, yet. I plan on holding on to my other bottles, waiting to see the development of the wine. The list price is 125NIS. B-/**

After writing my notes, I'll go back and re-read those of Chaim and Gabe, checking if they are so divergent that a reader might question whether or not we are all writing about the same wine.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:26 pm

Pinchas L wrote:HI Harry,

Midbar Orange 44 2010 - With the Orange designation indicating that this white wine underwent a red wine's protocol, and having read the posts by Chaim and Gabe, I expected a funky experience. I didn't quite get that. Yes, I felt the tannins coming as a result of the extended skin contact, and I also found the wine to be round as a result of the malolactic fermentation, but neither of these features are exaggerated. As a result, the wine attempts to compensate with tannin what it lacks in acidity, and the oxidative techniques are intended to add complexity, though that will take time to develop. If I had to call out a characteristic that stands out, I would point to the extra weight of the wine's body. The wine blends 52% Chenin Blanc with 24% of Chardonnay and of Viognier. While there times were the aromatics of the Viognier shines through, for the most part the wine comes across as a fusion of apple cider and pear nectar. I know that Ya'akov feels that this wine, as he feels about many of his other wines, requires several years of bottle age for it to develop complexity and show its potential. At this point in time, the wine is a bit dull, due to the lack of acidity, and the complexity hasn't kicked in, yet. I plan on holding on to my other bottles, waiting to see the development of the wine. The list price is 125NIS. B-/**

After writing my notes, I'll go back and re-read those of Chaim and Gabe, checking if they are so divergent that a reader might question whether or not we are all writing about the same wine.

Best,
-> Pinchas

Yep Pinchas, our TNs diverge quite a bit... :lol:
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby David Raccah » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:47 pm

This week I had a few bottles. I had the 2009 Galil Pinot Noir - a real PN in comparison to last week's Yarden PN - which is a nice wine, just not a Pinot:

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/10/22 ... r-to-find/

I had two more bottles - which I will document tonight I hope...
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:58 pm

\The other two bottles - one is WORLD FAMOUS and the other is a lovely Dalton. The first is the 2007 Rabbi Levine sulfite free Merlot made famous in Alice Feiring's Naked Wine - where she highlights Benyamin Cantz and the four gates winery (I crashed the end of that visit with Alice and Benyo - my blog on it can be found here: http://kosherwinemusings.com/2010/07/16 ... es-winery/). She highlighted the Merlot because it was the only truly organic kosher wine (at that time) available here in the USA (there is Bashan and Harkham, along with a few wines I do not like so much).

Anyway, my take on this famous wine and the 2009 Dalton Alma Bordeaux blend:

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/10/24 ... es-merlot/
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Isaac Chavel » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:04 pm

David,

Is Bashan available here in the States?

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:10 pm

No - still not - but the Harkham wines will be available in a month or so.

David
David Raccah
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum