The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2001 JJ Prum Riesling Kabinett

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:47 pm

This was the "generic" kabinett, no vineyard designation (AP# 29) and a serious leaker (but virtually no ullage)...

The color is going golden, and the bouquet has some oxidative sherry notes like an old school Spanish white... but there's still plenty of honeyed apple and grand marnier orange to sniff. This is seriously zesty to taste, with loads of killer 2001 acidity, nice if simple fruit, and good length. Very balanced and refreshing by today's kabinetts. Goes pretty well with shrimp and sriracha sauce... B/B-... Not sure if this is a representative bottle given the leakage, but I would drink soon.

I've had a fair number of 2001 kabinetts in the last 6 months, and many are needing drinking in the near term. Either due to the dangers of imminent senility or because they are at peak right now. The 2001 Christoffel Erdener Treppchen Kabinett being a notable exception, that it is still a young wine, maybe just entering adolescence.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Re: 2001 JJ Prum Riesling Kabinett

by Clint Hall » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:23 pm

When I tasted the 2001 Kabinetts on release I thought these babies are going to be great agers, so I haven't opened many, and so I can't contradict Patrick's finding that many are on the verge of going over the hill. But what do you think, those of you who have been liberally popping the corks on your stash of 2001 Kabinetts? Do you think many need to be drunk up soon? And, specifically, what about the JJ Prum 2001 Kab? I had the idea that at this point it would be a few years away from its best drinking window.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:24 pm

I recently opened a 2001 Selbach-Oster kabinett that was fantastic. Was it at peak? Perhaps. Will it head downhill any time soon? Heck no. Other than some of the truly small wines I see no reason to rush on 2001 kabinett.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:26 pm

Clint Hall wrote:When I tasted the 2001 Kabinetts on release I thought these babies are going to be great agers, so I haven't opened many, and so I can't contradict Patrick's finding that many are on the verge of going over the hill. But what do you think, those of you who have been liberally popping the corks on your stash of 2001 Kabinetts? Do you think many need to be drunk up soon? And, specifically, what about the JJ Prum 2001 Kab? I had the idea that at this point it would be a few years away from its best drinking window.

Here are some brief notes from the past year. Only the Karlsmuhle was a tired bottle.
Charles

no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Patrick Martin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:38 pm

Glad to hear many/most other 2001 kabinetts are doing well...

These were the 2001 kabs I've tried in the last months:
-Strub Niersteiner Bruckchen Kabinett
-Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett
-Merkelbach UW Kabinett
-Milz Trittenheimer Kabinett
-Muller-Catoir Haardter Burgergarten Halbtrocken Kabinett
-Leitz Rudesheimer Magdalenenkreuz Kabinett
-Leitz Rüdesheimer Klosterlay Qba

All were either too good to not drink now (definitely not an indication they will fall apart soon, however) or showing at least some subtle signs of going long in the tooth (for my palate preferences, of course).
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:11 am

Patrick,

The only ones on your list I have had in recent months are the Leitz Klosterlay QbA and Magdalenenkreuz Kabinett. I thought the Klosterlay to be drinking amazingly well, but with no danger of imminent demise. The Magdalenenkreuz has never been a great example of the vintage. I found it simple and in need of drinking.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:11 am

I have a few of the 2001 Prum WS Spatlese. When last tasted in 2010 it was a sulfur bomb with an in-your-face sweetness to it. It seemed a bit awkward to me. I'm not touching another one until 2015.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Sam, I had the same reaction you did to the 2001 Prum WS Spatlese, except that there was no more sulphur than in a typical Prum. There is a lot of variation in Prum'w suphur from bottle to bottle. I'll keep my hands of the Spatlese for a few more years.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:17 pm

In case anyone has any lurking in the cellar, the '97 Prum WS Spatlese is drinking very well right now, as is the Auslese.
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Patrick Martin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Nearly all of the Spatlese I have had from 2001 are going really or will be even better with more time... The lone exceptions to that pattern are the Kerpen WS Spatlese* and the Strub Niersteiner Paterberg Spatlese: I really like both of these riesling and they will hold still, but it seems like the time to drink them is sooner than later...

I was surprized about the development of the JJ Prum kabinett, but being a generic kabinett and a serious leaker, its meaning for other 2001 Prums is probably limited.
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Patrick Martin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:53 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The only ones on your list I have had in recent months are the Leitz Klosterlay QbA and Magdalenenkreuz Kabinett. I thought the Klosterlay to be drinking amazingly well, but with no danger of imminent demise. The Magdalenenkreuz has never been a great example of the vintage. I found it simple and in need of drinking.

I bought my '01 Klosterlay in early 2010, and while they were a real joy to drink and an incredible bargain (I finished my last bottle in August), my batch definitely were increasingly getting some of that calcium-carbonate-lactic-talc-chalky profile that I associated with old-age in a white wine (and this came out more and more with once the bottle was opened).

Better stored bottles are probably fresher (especially from the glacial cellar!), not that mine showed any signs of mistreatment...
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:41 am

I had the 2001 Kesselstat Josephshafer Kabinett last year, and I felt that while it seems to be in a trasitional phase between primary fruit and the development of some tertiary notes, I though that with another 5 years or so it will emerge as an excellent mature Riesling. Would be surprised if it doesn't drink well for 10 more years.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:23 pm

I drank my 2001 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Auslese about a year ago and I thought it was still on the upswing. Still tasted quite fruity and had just started developing its secondary/tertiary taste characteristics. I think it could have easily aged another 8-12 years in the cellar.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.