The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

<sigh> Swan Lone Redwood Zin '04

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

<sigh> Swan Lone Redwood Zin '04

by John Treder » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Lone Redwood was always (the vineyard has been replanted in supposedly more cash-fruitful vines) a problematic vineyard for Rod Berglund. (He's said so to me more than once.)
This was a problematic bottle of '04 (an even-year vintage, and I've opined about that phenomenon) when I opened it for spaghetti this evening. The whiff was thin, the color was light cherry, the first sip was considerably mouth-puckering.
This is ZIN!!! Zin is not, characteristically, a lean, hard, unapproachable wine. (Am I speaking to the choir?)
I had opened it early, expecting some challenges, and as I heated up the sauce, boiled the spaghetti (tonight, spaghetti was spaghetti with my usual sauce on it, not some other pasta with my usual sauce on it) and made the salad, I kept poking at it. It got better, developed some bramble and early blackberry, but not the most wonderful thing in the world.
I had some dregs of a bottle of Coffaro Carignane in the fridge, so I tossed those in the glass. It helped.

David Coffaro and Rod Berglund are about as far apart in winemaking styles as it gets. I like them both, I like both their styles, sometimes more one than the other, but that's the way it goes. Sometimes a glass-blend is all it takes to turn an ordeal into a pretty good glass.

I guess you could call me a vino-omnivore.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: <sigh> Swan Lone Redwood Zin '04

by Jon Leifer » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:57 pm

maybe that'll be a good way for us tor recognize each other on Thursday..I'll look around and ask for the vino-omnivore
Jon
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:28 pm

If I'm there, there will be a blue BMW Z4 coupe in the parking lot. Or ask Cindy if I said anything. :mrgreen:
I'll most lkely be there.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:05 pm

Sorry I missed you last Thursday, Jon!
I had a pleasant afternoon chatting with Pat, Dave, Matt and Catalina, anyway, and came back with my half-dozen club wines.
How did the run go? Warmer than you expected?
John in the wine county