The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: International Wine and Food Society President's dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: International Wine and Food Society President's dinner

by Jay Labrador » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:15 am

A couple of quick notes on the International Wine and Food Society 30th Anniversary President's dinner.

Champagne Jacquesson Cuvee 735 NV - Bready, sourdough at the start then turns very lemony. Very good with the fresh oysters and easy to drink.

Zind Humbrecht Clos Windsbuhl Pinot Gris Turckheim 2007 - The nose shows ripe tropical fruit but on the palate, very acidic. Not what I expected from Zind Humbrecht. Lots of citrus and unripe pineapple.Lean, bony wine. Unfortunately, not a great match with the foie gras which really needed something more unctuous.

Louis Jadot Corton Charlemagne Grand cru 2004 - Very nice. About perfect now. Slightly honeyed and rich. Silky wine. A great match for the lobster ravioli.

Louis Jadot Beaune Clos des Ursules 2006 - A rather lightish Beaune. Raspberry and strawberry dominate. Touch of tobacco. It was OK with the duck but I think a heavier Burgundy would have been a better match.

Chateau Pontet Canet 2000 - Very dark, youthful looking. Meaty nose. Full bodied. Classic Cabernet blackcurrant mixed in with cigar tobacco. Still a little tight. Perhaps revisit after 3 years. A good match for the lamb.

Chateau Latour 1998 - Attractive nose. Licorice. Ripe blackberry. Tannins might need a a bit more time for softening. A bit lighter than what I was expecting. Good wine but I was expecting more.

Grahams Quinta dos Malvedos 1992 - Fully mature. Nice and smooth. Milk chocolate and raisins. Great with the cheese. Drink up if you have this.

Chateau d'Yquem 1994 - One of the wines raffled off during the course of the dinner and won by Dong Puno who, fortunately, was at our table. He generously had it chilled and opened for our enjoyment. Gorgeous, classic Sauternes nose. Apricot, burnt sugar, honey, candied pineapple. Not a real heavyweight but still an excellent wine with a good deal of acidity to freshen it up. Completely outclassed the Huet Clos du Bourg Moelleux 2005 which, in a any case, lacked the sweetness to stand up to the tarte tatin with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.

A fun evening in which everyone took home a great bottle of wine thanks to the generous contributions of some of the members. Among the bottles raffled off were a Latour 2002, Valandraud 1997, Haut Brion 1993, Marcassin Chardonnay, Heitz Martha's Vineyard, Rayas 1996 and a couple of other gems.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: International Wine and Food Society President's dinner

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:13 am

Jay some great wines there, guess Noel will post some pics.
Tell me, does the Stockbroker bring in some of these gems?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:35 am

Jay Labrador wrote:Chateau d'Yquem 1994...Completely outclassed the Huet Clos du Bourg Moelleux 2005 which, in a any case, lacked the sweetness to stand up to the tarte tatin with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.

Not a fair fight!

Moelleux (even in 2005) is not 'dessert wine'/liquoreux.

But, you were all winners for having all the delicious options!
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:55 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Jay some great wines there, guess Noel will post some pics.
Tell me, does the Stockbroker bring in some of these gems?

Hi Bob,

Jacquesson and Zind Humbrecht are carried by the Stockbroker's shop. In fact, I understand the Champagne was donated for the dinner. Very generous of him.

Noel should have his notes and pictures up shortly.

Jay
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:56 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Jay Labrador wrote:Chateau d'Yquem 1994...Completely outclassed the Huet Clos du Bourg Moelleux 2005 which, in a any case, lacked the sweetness to stand up to the tarte tatin with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.

Not a fair fight!

Moelleux (even in 2005) is not 'dessert wine'/liquoreux.

But, you were all winners for having all the delicious options!

We were most fortunate that the winner of the Yquem was at our table!