The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Errazuris Chadwick Red Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2001 Errazuris Chadwick Red Wine

by Jenise » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:32 am

About a year ago, my impressions of a bottle shared with Bill Spohn were: "2001 Errazuris Chadwick--I was in a very different place than you re this wine. I presume that what you're calling 'briar' is what I didn't like about it, it's a green cactus-kind of thing that I occasionally taste on Chilean and only Chilean wines--regardless of variety, I've even tasted it on pinots--that I don't care for at all. I set the glass aside to come back to later and found the fruit had fleshed out a bit covering up more of that green thing, but not erasing it completely. Not what I hope for from a $50 bottle."

That was enough to keep me away from opening the three bottles I own, until last night: No green! Pretty cab nose, lightly floral and feminine. Might be high in merlot, though the bottle is unspecific on constituency. On the palate, medium bodied and pretty centered on cherry and other red fruits. That kept it bright enough though the wine is light on acid compared to the very-present tannins. A lot better than that other bottle, but still lacking the balance one would hope to find for the money spent.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: 2001 Errazuris Chadwick Red Wine

by Bill Spohn » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Glad to hear it has improved; sorry it isn't what we had no doubt both hoped (yet?)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2001 Errazuris Chadwick Red Wine

by Jenise » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Glad to hear it has improved; sorry it isn't what we had no doubt both hoped (yet?)

It was more impressive in its infancy (where did we have it, Manny's former Spanish restaurant?) than it is now. The lack of acid worries me, I have to tell you.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov