The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Quick question - Interesting buy, or best to avoid?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Quick question - Interesting buy, or best to avoid?

by Ian Sutton » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:32 pm

CABERNET SAUVIGNON NAPA WALLEY 1986 DUNN VINEYARDS Euro 35,00 + 20% local tax

I'm told this would have been made in the older more european/reserved style (and I'm more than happy with leafy cabs such as David Lake's Columbia winery wines).

Where I'm going, I'd normally be interested in the older local wines, but this one jumped out as interesting.

regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Quick question - Interesting buy, or best to avoid?

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:57 pm

I'd buy it! I don't have the 86, but do own 85 and 87. Dunn is definitely somewhat old school, with wines that take a long time to come around
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:08 pm

Ta for this Dale - and I forgot to say I do like old wines built to last!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:20 pm

Ian,

I can't speak for the Napa Valley, but I had an '86 Dunn Howell Mountain last year that was outstanding. I have one more that I may hold for MoCool next year.

I would err on the side of buying the Napa Valley.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:38 pm

Hey Sam, I sure hope you do, that is bring that 86 to MoCool!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:42 am

Jim,

I could probably be convinced if a bottle of that Fort Wayne Duval-Leroy happened to show up at MoCool as well! :wink:
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:14 pm

Sam Platt wrote:Ian,

I can't speak for the Napa Valley, but I had an '86 Dunn Howell Mountain last year that was outstanding. I have one more that I may hold for MoCool next year.

I would err on the side of buying the Napa Valley.

Hey Sam,

I just bought some Burgess 2008 Howell mountain cabernet sauvignon. How long before you think it will be ready to drink? I could be convinced to bring some to MoCool next year to compare to your Dunn as long as you don't accuse me of being a 'baby killer'. :wink:
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:06 am

That would be a capital offense, Tom. Better target MoCool 2023 for opening the Burgess.

PS: I have always heard good things about the Burgess wines. They have the reputation for being a great QPR.
Sam

no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:22 pm

From my limited experience the napa, unlike the Howell mountain, only needs about 25 years to come around so if it was well stored it's definitely a buy.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:35 pm

Sam Platt wrote:That would be a capital offense, Tom. Better target MoCool 2023 for opening the Burgess.

PS: I have always heard good things about the Burgess wines. They have the reputation for being a great QPR.

Hi Sam,

That's what I was guessing, but this was my first purchase of a Howell Mountain wine and some wines mature faster than others. 10 years from now it should be drinking very nicely.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:14 pm

I've put the order in & I'll try to remember to post a TN when we open it.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Almost all wines from the 1980s Californians are now in gentle decline (except for some 87s, which continue to coast), but there are many very drinkable wines and I'd put Dunn into that category - it should be ready drinking now. Sadly, I had a bottle of modern Dunn recently and it was nothing like the huge monsters of the past - early maturing and pleasant. There goes another hero, over the the Other Side!

Let us know how the 86 shows when you get it! (Drank an 85 Clos du Val a few weeks back - lovely still, though not as good as several years ago).
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Ian,
Coincidently we just had a vertical tasting Of Dunn Howell Mountain here in Stockholm about three weeks ago. 11 vintages from 2008 to 1988. While we did not go back as far as the 1986, knowing your weakness for mature wines, I would not hesitate to advise you to place an order (as you already have!). These are slowly maturing wines, and in my Facebook post about the tasting I wrote: only the '88 and '89 were something like mature.

Looking forward to your TN,
/Anders
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:08 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:Ian,
Coincidently we just had a vertical tasting Of Dunn Howell Mountain here in Stockholm about three weeks ago. 11 vintages from 2008 to 1988. While we did not go back as far as the 1986, knowing your weakness for mature wines, I would not hesitate to advise you to place an order (as you already have!). These are slowly maturing wines, and in my Facebook post about the tasting I wrote: only the '88 and '89 were something like mature.

'88 and '89 were both weaker, early-maturing vintages in Napa, too. '86 was from a string of good years ('84-'87) that, in Randy Dunn's hands, should make very long-lived wines.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:40 am

At our vertical tasting we were told that Dunn only makes one wine, the Howell Mountain. However, while browsing the upcoming online sale at Christie's I found two different lots of the 1987, one just labeled Dunn Vineyards, Napa Valley while the other one also had Howell Mountain written on the label. Possibly they bottled a basic Napa Valley Cab in the earlier days. Anyone with insight?

Here are the two lots:
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/wine/dunn-vineyards-cabernet-sauvignon-vintage-1987-6-bottles-5614018-details.aspx?from=salesummary&intObjectID=5614018&sid=7272c8b4-dd46-4dfa-b6c7-971500d2c7ed
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/wine/dunn-vineyards-howell-mountain-cabernet-sauvignon-vintage-1987-5614020-details.aspx?from=salesummary&intObjectID=5614020&sid=7272c8b4-dd46-4dfa-b6c7-971500d2c7ed

/Anders
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:14 am

Anders,
Dunn definitely makes 2 Cabernet Sauvignons, the regular Napa and the Howell Mtn (unless they have changed in last couple vintages). As far as I know that has been true every vintage since they started (1980), but can't swear to that. He has also made a Petite Sirah in at least some vintages.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:47 am

Dale Williams wrote:Anders,
Dunn definitely makes 2 Cabernet Sauvignons, the regular Napa and the Howell Mtn (unless they have changed in last couple vintages). As far as I know that has been true every vintage since they started (1980), but can't swear to that. He has also made a Petite Sirah in at least some vintages.

OK, Dale, thanks. It might simply be my memory that is unreliable... I'll see if I can find the source of the information I seemed to remember. I might in fact meet him at a tasting tonight. I do remember Petite Sirah being mentioned, mostly as a minor ingredient in the main wine, but possibly also in connection with a unique bottling of this variety.
/Anders
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:56 pm

Many thanks for the positive comments!

Hi Anders - apologies I haven't been in chat for a while - hope you're keeping well, but at least I know you're drinking well!

regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Anders,

The MacArthur's barrel tasting program from April lists both but I recall they only actually poured the Howell Mtn. My notes for the tasting from the previous two years are clear in that they only poured the Howell Mtn so while I think they are still making both I am not positive.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:31 pm

Got the 1986 back safely and it's definitely Napa Valley rather than Howell Mountain. Will rest it for a few weeks before opening.
no avatar
User

David Cohen

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:36 pm

Toronto

by David Cohen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:01 pm

Sam, looking forward to MoCool!!!
Cheers

David