The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2010 Schloß Schönborn Erbacher Marcobrunn Riesling GG

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

WTN: 2010 Schloß Schönborn Erbacher Marcobrunn Riesling GG

by Andrew Bair » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Although I have been a bit underwhelmed by most of the Schönborn wines that I have had in the past, I have read some discussion of a real improvement starting with the 2009 vintage. Most wines that I have had from this estate in the past have been good, but only a couple have exceeded that (the last vintage that I had tried anything from was 2007). Considering the sites that Schloß Schönborn owns, I always felt like they should be making some of the best wines in the Rheingau. Erbacher Marcobrunn is one of those great vineyards that they own a good chunk of, and historically it has been considered one of the very top sites in the Rheingau. This wine shows me that Schönborn has definitely improved - at least at their top level of wines.

2010 Schloß Schönborn Erbacher Marcobrunn Riesling Grosses Gewächs
Nose of wildflowers, apples, and minerals. Full-bodied, powerful, yet very elegant and nicely balanced. Dry, with just a minimal touch of sweetness. Vividly mineral, focused, with notes of black plums, baked pears, cardamom, mixed peppercorns, citrus peel, and floral potpourri. Really nice length; more florality and some white sugar on the finish. Excellent.

As a side note, this bottle was clearly labeled ‘GG’, as in ‘Grosses Gewächs’ rather than ‘EG’ or Erstes Gewächs”.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2010 Schloß Schönborn Erbacher Marcobrunn Riesling GG

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:36 am

Good to hear. Schonborn has such fine vineyard sources, that their underperformance has been a true waste.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: 2010 Schloß Schönborn Erbacher Marcobrunn Riesling GG

by JC (NC) » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:27 pm

I'm also glad to hear of a progression in quality. I had some very good Erbacher Marcobrunn wines from Schloss Schonborn on my earlier stints in Germany (don't recall exact vintages.) That was my favorite Rheingau site.