Jenise and I swooned over this dish made by Kerry Heffernan during the finale of Top Chef Masters.
Recipe courtesy of Bravo TV website.
Flan of Sugar Snap Peas with Prosciutto, Morels, and Chervil
For Flan Mixture:
2 cups sugar snap peas, ends removed and cut into 1/2 inch lengths
1 cup heavy cream
2 egg yolks
1 cup whole milk
2 sprigs tarragon, picked
Salt and pepper
12 very thin slices of Jamon de Bayonne or prosciutto for garnish
Fine Herb Broth with Morels
3 tablespoons butter
12 ounces fresh morel mushrooms, washed and drained
1 shallot, finely minced
1 cup cream
1 cup blanched and shucked English peas
2 sprigs each: chopped parsley, tarragon, chervil
To Make the Flan:
1. Bring peas, cream, milk and tarragon to a boil. Simmer until tender 5-12 minutes
2. Remove mixture and puree well in blender for 1 minute.
3. Season with salt and pepper, and let cool slightly.
4. Strain and whisk in eggs and yolks one at a time
5. Spray six 4-6 ounce ramekins or tin molds with non-stick spray and fill with mixture.
6. Cook in Bain Marie (water bath) at 325°F covered with tin foil until just set; stick the point of a knife inside. Knife should come out clean when flan is finished (check at about 35 minutes)
To Make the Fine Herb Broth with Morels:
1. In a sauté pan, melt butter, and cook Morel mushrooms for 2 minutes over medium heat
2. Add minced shallot and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Add cream and boil to reduce by 1/3. Remove from heat.
4. Finish by topping with peas and chopped herbs.
Remove flan from ramekins by turning upside down on a plate. Pour a small amount of Pea/Morel mixture over flan and garnish with 2 very thin slices of Jambon de Bayonne or prosciutto.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (I feel so much better now.)