Moadim L'Simcha!

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Moadim L'Simcha!

Postby Craig Winchell » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:59 am

Sukkos so far, winewise, was based around a case of the "final blend" of 2010 Cab that I had brought home pre-Rosh Hashana. It seems well-loved, if not totally identifiable varietally. The first night, after serving it, a knowledgeable gentleman remarked, "I really love this Merlot!" So it tastes balanced and delicious, but its Cabness is not expressing itself as Cabness, only as something Bordeaux-like. Still hoping to bottle it before the end of November. Tasty stuff.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Re: Moadim L'Simcha!

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:55 pm

First night of Chag, Gush Etzion cab franc 2009 and kadesh barnea midbar adom 2009, by day gush etzion cab franc, next night gush etzion syrah 2009, gush etzion spring river cab - merlot blend, next day uhh beer :)

Went through 8 bottles of wine in 2 days :)
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:19 pm

hi; kayoumi shiraz 07 was shiraz as i like shiraz.then , recanati merlot 2010, gamla merlot 07 ,arza malbec 2010,interstingly didnt like as first time.h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby gaston k » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:58 pm

First Night - Yarden Syrah SV Avital 2007 - wow
First Lunch - Beer and a glass of Givon - very much preferred the beer
Second Night - Dalton Alma 2009 CS,M, CF- enjoyed
Second Lunch - finished the Alma and had a bottle of Palm
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby Pinchas L » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi Craig,

Given some lingering effects of the stomach flu, my notes will be shorter than usual.

Hagafen Prix Syrah 2001 - The wood is completely integrated, the sharp edges having long smoothed themselves out, revealing a medium bodied wine whose color is still a vibrant purple. The primary flavors are those of crushed leaves, with plenty of forest fruit in the background complimented by peppery spice. While once senses the development of secondary flavors, there is nothing to hint at wine reaching the end of its road, the color is very much alive, and no mature, raisin-like flavors are present.

Adir "a" 2009 - I picked up this Syrah based wine at the wine mill, at the suggestion of Gabe. Syrah is the predominant variety at 60% with Cabernet Sauvignon making up 35% of the blend, and the remaining 5% Cabernet Franc. Its an approachable wine, and even though it spend 18 months in oak I did not feel any excessive oak influences. The alcohol level is in check, too, listed at 13.5%. I found it fruit forward and enjoyable, though not distinctive.

Tzora Neve Ilan Blanc 2009 - On the first day the wine had a distinctive saltwater quality, a sensation I do not recall ever having, that seemed to disappear on the second day. Its a lean Chardonnay, but with clear notes of vanilla, the oak's contribution.

Hagafen Prix Reserve White Riesling 2009 - Rancho Wieruszowski - If you don't mind the sweetness, the wine is beautiful, exhibiting lovely citrus, apples flavors coupled by cleansing acidity. The residual sugar is about 5%, not enough for me to use it as a dessert wine, by typically too much to accompany my meal. Personally, I still prefer Hagafen's Devoto release over this one, but there is enough of a difference in style between the two, warranting the occasional comparison.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Last edited by Pinchas L on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Pinchas L wrote:Adir "a" 2009 - I picked up this Syrah based wine at the wine mill, at the suggestion of Gabe. Syrah is the predominant variety at 60% with Cabernet Sauvignon making up 35% of the blend, and the remaining 5% Cabernet Franc. Its an approachable wine, and even though it spend 18 months in oak I did not feel any excessive oak influences. The alcohol level is in check, too, listed at 13.5%. I found it fruit forward and enjoyable, though not distinctive.

Hi Pinchas,

Glad you liked the Adir "a"! :) I think that I share your thoughts about this wine. While not distinctive nor inexpensive by any means, I love it and think that it's quite an excellent wine and still a better QPR (in Israel that said, I just saw the horrifying US price) than the Plato. The "a" is smooth and round, truly a lovely wine with I believe a respectable cellaring potential. It's already - almost - impossible to find it anymore in Israel.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Stacey B » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:46 pm

Sunday night:Domaine Hertzberg Malbec2009 an Domaine Hertzbberg Merlot 2009, Tishbi Malbec2009, Eden Wild Red 2009, and Galil Alon 2010
Monday lunch: flam white unoaked, Netofa Tinto, and barkan 14 Syrah
Stacey B
Wine geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum