The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine match needed for truffle omelet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

Wine match needed for truffle omelet

by Jay Labrador » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:34 am

Can anyone recommend a match for omelet with shaved truffle? Was thinking of aged, heavier style Champagne like Krug or Dom since Champagne and eggs are good but I'm not too sure if it will work with truffles. Your comments/suggestions please.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Wine match needed for truffle omelet

by Saina » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:52 am

Sorry for being a broken record, but when wines are a difficult match, you can usually find a good beer that will go well. A dry, but rich beer, probably not one that is extremely hoppy, should do well? I've paired porters well with "classy" omelettes before but don't know how it would go with truffles.

Why wouldn't champ work with truffles? If you want wine, that would have been my pick also.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:21 am

Jay Labrador wrote:Can anyone recommend a match for omelet with shaved truffle? Was thinking of aged, heavier style Champagne like Krug or Dom since Champagne and eggs are good but I'm not too sure if it will work with truffles. Your comments/suggestions please.

I like Champers with this dish (or any indulgent brunch) also, Jay. But I don't find the problems that some do with matching wine and eggs. A good fruity-tart red generally works for me with an omelet, doubly so if it's filled with cheese. And truffles almost always cry out for a Pinot Noir ...
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:And truffles almost always cry out for a Pinot Noir ...

except when they're calling "Nebbiolo" :)
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:14 pm

except when they're calling "Nebbiolo"
Now that made me laugh. good one, Dale
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:31 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:And truffles almost always cry out for a Pinot Noir ...

except when they're calling "Nebbiolo" :)

Well, yah, that's true, the Alba connection is not to be sneezed at. But still, truffles and Burgundy, ahhhhhh ....

More seriously, I'm also thinking that most Nebbiolo-based reds are going to be awfully tannic for the egg match.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:47 pm

I'm also thinking that most Nebbiolo-based reds are going to be awfully tannic for the egg match.

Except when they're properly aged. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:58 pm

Jenise wrote:Except when they're properly aged. :)

Noted and agreed, although not many of us are in a position to say, "Hey, let's pop a '67 Barolo with this omelet. :)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:29 pm

In my opinion there are plenty of young Nebbiolos that don't carry much more tannin than the average Pinot- I'm thinking Nebbiolo d'Alba, Langhe, and things like Sassella. But even if you're talking Barolo/Barbaresco there are plenty of lighter more fruit forward styled wines from producers like Batasiolo, Porro, Villadoria that drink pretty well young. Yet they retain that aromatic profile (which in a lot of ways can be similar to PN- stylistically I don't disagree with you re the match, I find Nebbiolo much closer to PN than to the Bdx grapes, Zin, etc).
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:58 pm

One of the most inspired wine food matches I can remember was a dish recently tried while visiting the Langhe. A bowl with semi melted cheese, some cubes of bread, and fresh hen's egg was served with white truffles shaved on the top. The egg and sharp white local Raschera cheese complimented and highlighted the flavors of the truffle, so that the combination was more than the sum of the parts. The 2004 G. Conterno Barbera was a perfect match with the richness of the fresh egg, truffles and the fonduta of local cheese. The wine had great depth and layers of flavor, lots of zippy acidity, and very little tannin.

I would recommend a good Barbera with egg and truffle!
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Noted and agreed, although not many of us are in a position to say, "Hey, let's pop a '67 Barolo with this omelet. :)

You mean the 30 Second Wine Cellar doesn't have a spare case? :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:01 pm

And truffles almost always cry out for a Pinot Noir
/quote]

Well, yah, that's true, the Alba connection is not to be sneezed at. But still, truffles and Burgundy, ahhhhhh ....

More seriously, I'm also thinking that most Nebbiolo-based reds are going to be awfully tannic for the egg match.[/quote]

Hey Robin, it is not always that I agree wit you on wine and food, (but it usually is) and I find this to be another of those times. I agree that pinot would be my choice, and I would want it to be a burg that gives me some earth, and perhaps forest floor aromas. I just wish I could afford truffles. :-(
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:04 pm

And truffles almost always cry out for a Pinot Noir [

More seriously, I'm also thinking that most Nebbiolo-based reds are going to be awfully tannic for the egg match.

Hey Robin, it is not always that I agree with you on wine and food, (but it usually is) and I find this to be another of those times. I agree that pinot would be my choice, and I would want it to be a burg that gives me some earth, and perhaps forest floor aromas. I just wish I could afford truffles. :-(
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:04 pm

IMHO, when shaved truffles are involved with a less-powerful flavor such as that of an omellet, the truffles will dominate the overall flavor of the dish.

In this case, I'll go with the Nebbiolo, as Dale suggested. An mature one, as the others posted, would be my preference.
no avatar
User

robs_r

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

by robs_r » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:07 am

During our holidays in the Marche/Italy this year we went into a totally different direction. Our waiter in a nice restaurant in Urbino recommended a white to go with the Crespelle con tartuffo (black in this case), specifically a Verdicchio (probably some kind of Riserva with some age on it) or even the local Bianchello del Metauro. The pretty fullbodied Verdicchio with subtle hints of nuts went very well with the dish.

Personally, I have very nice recollections of drinking a moderate white Burgundy (a Montagny 1er cru from 2001) with Tagliatelle in a white truffle cream (bought at the truffle capital of the Marche, Aqualagna).

De gustibus.... :)

Regards, Robert
Robert Ruzitschka
Vienna, Austria
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:23 am

Lots of people recommending Champagne and reds (Pinot Noir, Barolo, Barbaresco - for that classic truffle match), but I thought I'd also mention whites.

I think Chardonnay can be a pretty good partner too - something not too high in acidity can actually work well with this kind of low acid dish IMO. If you want to keep the crisp and refreshing line (as with sparklers) then perhaps even a Sauv Blanc could work, but for me that's not such a great matching experience. Alsatian (i.e. slightly fatter styled) Pinot Blanc or Gris might also work.

Ben
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:52 am

Jay Labrador wrote:Can anyone recommend a match for omelet with shaved truffle? Was thinking of aged, heavier style Champagne like Krug or Dom since Champagne and eggs are good but I'm not too sure if it will work with truffles. Your comments/suggestions please.

Well, in Umbria, the other truffle Mecca in Italy, I recently had a Colpetrone Montefalco Rosso (Sangiovese, Sagrantino and in this case, Merlot), which went beautifully with my eggs, truffle and parmesan cheese "primo". The earthiness of the black truffles, the garlic and the cheese all coated the eggs perfectly for this lush wine. I also had a "trio" appetizer which included truffled eggs, also with parmesan cheese (as well as truffled bruschetta, and fried parmesan cheese), that went fine with a Lungarotti Rubesco, however, for this second truffle experience, I must say I was just getting over a cold and my tasting abilities were somewhat impaired.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:31 pm

Vajra Langhe Rosso! Fifteen bucks and meant to be drunk young!

Or: Pierre Moncuit NV Blanc de Blanc. Champagne is always the safest bet with eggs, regardless of truffle content.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:26 pm

Vajra Langhe Rosso! Fifteen bucks and meant to be drunk young!

The wines from GD Varja are great top to bottom. They made a 2002 Barolo (normale, no Bricco delle Viole in 2002) that was very tasty, medium bodied Barolo that they were selling for the modest price of 20 Euros at the winery.
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 am

by Alan Uchrinscko » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

I like Champers with this dish (or any indulgent brunch) also, Jay. But I don't find the problems that some do with matching wine and eggs. A good fruity-tart red generally works for me with an omelet, doubly so if it's filled with cheese. And truffles almost always cry out for a Pinot Noir ...

I largely agree, though usually go in a slightly different direction. Good artisanal beaujolais is what I prefer for omelete brunch style things when I'm going red. I do an omelette with tomato, leeks and mussels that works real well with a good beaujolais. The truffles would go nice with the earthiness of good beaujolais...
Alan Uchrinscko
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:13 am

One of the best matches I have ever had with an omelette was a Pinot gris (Grauburgunder, I thonk, in German) from Keller in Rheinhessen. A DRY Tokay d'Alsace (name soon to be outlawed!) from a good producer also does the job well.

I don't see why that shouldn't also work with truffles.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 am

by Alan Uchrinscko » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:23 pm

Close -- Pinot Gris is Blauburgunder. [Pinot Blanc is weissburguner. Pinot Noir is spatburgunder.]
Alan Uchrinscko
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

by alex metags » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:09 pm

I thought Pinot Gris is Grauburgunder (as Tim mentioned) since Grau=Grey in German, and Pinot Noir goes by both Blauburgunder and Spätburgunder?

cheers,
al
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:56 pm

I drank an aged Chateauneuf (Remy Diffonty) with a truffled omelet, at Verget Des Papes a few years back, and it was a gorgeous comination.
(By the way Tokay d'Alsace IS Pinot Gris)
cheers
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
Next