Rosh Hashana Wines 5773

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Rosh Hashana Wines 5773

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Hello all!

As last year, I suggest to post in this thread about the wine(s) that you intend on drinking and enjoying for the upcoming celebration of the Jewish New Year - Rosh Hashana 5773 which is now around the corner.

Following is my temporary and non exhaustive list from which I'll probably end up picking 4-5 wines and save the other bottles for Sukkot:

- Domaine du Castel, Grand Vin 2006.

- Golan Heights Winery, Yarden Syrah Ortal Vineyard 2004

- Golan Heights Winery, Yarden Chardonnay Odem organic vineyard 2008

- Golan Heights Winery, Yarden Blanc de Blancs 2005

- BR Cohn, Cabernet Sauvignon Trestle Glen Estate Vineyard 2008

- Binyamina, Avnei Hachoshen, Yahalom (Diamond) 2007

- Barkan, Superieur Pinotage 2007

- Ella Valley, Merlot Vineyard's Choice 2004

- Carmel, Appellation, Carignan Old Vines 2008

- Gvaot, Vineyard Dance 2008

- Gat Shomron, Merlot N.V. 2006/2007

- Adir, A 2009

I'd love to read about your own experiences of the above mentioned wines as well as about your own picks for this year's holidays. May our great vino be of a blessing for all of us and enjoy them with our loved ones and friends, wishing already Shana Tova, a good and happy new year to all of you.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Re: Rosh Hashana Wines 5773

Postby David Raccah » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:19 pm

I look forward to your notes on the - Golan Heights Winery, Yarden Syrah Ortal Vineyard 2004. I have had it a few times now, and have not liked it more than maybe a B+ to A-.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:12 pm

Adding to the list GHW Yarden Syrah 2007 and Carmel Kerem Sha'al Late Harvest Gewurztraminer 2007 (or even a different vintage, we'll see). How could I imagine celebrating Rosh Hashana without at least one dessert wine?!
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:32 am

Nu? Now that the big tasting events are behind us (well, behind you...), was anyone able to pick a selection of favorites to celebrate the new year (and the forgiveness of his/her sins! :wink: )?
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:29 am

Still a little early for me, but here is my current thinking:

Golan Heights Winery, Yarden, Blanc de Blanc, 2005
Flam, Blanc, 2010

Bustan, Merlot, 2003
Golan Heights Winery, Yarden, Single Vineyard El-Rom, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2003
Hagafen, Prix Melange, 2004
Chateau Le Crock, 2005
Ella Valley, Cabernet Franc, 2006
Recanati, Mediterranean Reserve, Wild Carignan, 2009
Gvaot, Pinot Noir, 2010

Piada, Sauternes, 2001
Hagafen, Prix, LH Chardonnay, 2006
Adir, Blush Port,
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Im not sure honestly, I was going to order 2 cases but I spaced out and forgot to have my warehouse email me ups labels, and im too cheap to ship it 2day air, i'll go local and go random.

I try not to drink too much on Rosh Hashana, getting a wine headache on a 2 day chag isnt always fun
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:20 pm

For lunch tomorrow,

Gvaot 2007 Vineyards Dance
Ramon Cardovq 2007 crianza rioja, which was the favorite wine in our Spanish wine tasting earlier this year
Don Ernesto 2010 Collage white
Hagafen 2010 Roussane
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Steven B » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi,

The plan right now is

Tzuba Metsuda 2007
Dalton D Petite Sirah 2010
Ella Valley Cabernet Franc 2009
Elvi Herenza 2008
Dalton D Zinfandel 2010

And I'm torn on whether to drink the 2010 Psagot Edom now or to give it more time in the bottle and wait until Pesach. I don't know whether six months is enough to even make much of a difference.
Steven B
Wine geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Steven B wrote:And I'm torn on whether to drink the 2010 Psagot Edom now or to give it more time in the bottle and wait until Pesach. I don't know whether six months is enough to even make much of a difference.

Very nice picks Steve! :)

I don't know what you decided but I would indeed wait until at least Pesach for the Edom '10, six months would make a difference, yes. Having tasted the Edom '09 both at the winery in November '11 and for Yom Haatzmaut in May '12 the wine was clearly more ready. I've tasted the Edom '10 a few weeks ago at the Jerusalem wine festival and while approachable, it was a bit closed.

Now back to my picks for the holiday:

Sunday night:

GHW, Yarden Blanc de Blancs 2005: Great as always.

Monday lunch:

GHW, Yarden Chardonnay Odem Organic Vineyard 2008: Gold with green reflections, full-bodied with on the nose oak, caramel, pears and honeysuckle, going on to reveal on the palate caramelized apples, toasted oak, earthy minerals, salted butter and notes of spicy-sweet roasted butternut squash on the long finish. Very good on its own yet I'm afraid that my palate is in an a strange stage that tends to rejects oaked Chardonnay (including Castel and the rest of Yarden's line up). Except for the Gvaot Chardonnay-Cabernet '11, I've been struggling lately to enjoy such wines as much as I used to. I guess I should take some time off...

Carmel, Shaal Vineyard Gewurztraminer Late Harvest 2006: Last time I enjoyed this wine was for Sukkot last year. It was even better this time. Deep Gold towards orange, full-bodied with on the nose ripe apricots, lychee, and honey, the same showing on the palate together with candied orange peel, mango, mirabelle plums jam, ripe juicy cantaloupe and guava on the very long finish. Well-balanced, smooth, not too thick, good acidity. This one can last easily for 2-3 more years IMHO. DELICIOUS.

Monday night:

Barkan, Superieur Pinotage 2007: Deep garnet, the nose says sweet and spicy with cardamon, cinnamon, dates, roasted meat and red plums. On first attack I was surprised as the wine felt a bit flat. I expected an explosion of sweet fruit and spice and I was left with just some sour blackberries and bit of black pepper yet as the wine developed in the glass some bold blackberries, with cracked pepper, cinnamon and cloves started showing on the mid palate going on to reveal notes of roasted smoked beef and more black pepper with sour plums and cherries on a long and dry finish with almost mouth-coating tannins. Where the wine showed light to medium-bodied on the first attack, it was more medium to full from the mid-palate towards the finish. There was no sweetness in there and no sediments either as opposed to what has been reported by many on cellartracker. Enjoyable but I'm not a fan.

Tuesday lunch:

Tabor, Pninim, Cabernet Sauvignon 2011: PC OFF...

GHW, Yarden Syrah Ortal Vineyard 2004: Viva la bomba! Dark garnet towards purple, huge jammy raspberries and blackberries on the nose as well as sweet cedarwood, saddle leather and fresh cigars, full-bodied with on the palate jammy raspberries, sweet oak, plums, ripe cherries, a hint of date and almond as well as dried cranberries, roasted meat and fresh mediterranean herbs with tannins showing bigger as the wine developed in the glass on the long and slightly hot finish reminiscent of Heering cherry liquor. Powerful yet velvety, throwing a tiny bit of sediment but still has a nice future I think. The sweet fruit and high alcohol profile is very new world yet this wine is very different from any israeli Shiraz I've tasted so far.

Hevron Heights, Judean Heights Late Harvest 2009: At first look, a very interesting blend of 65% Semillon, 25% Sauvignon Blanc and 10% Riesling late harvested, cold fermented for 2 months then aged for 14 months in Hungarian oak barrels. Bright gold, a nose of dried apricots, white flowers and apples. Full-bodied, reminded me more of a muscat, sweet perhaps too sweet, with on the palate dried apricots, walnuts, plum jam, raisins and funky halva on a long finish. Not bad at all but lacking balance and complexity and a bit too sweet, I expected something far more interesting.

Shana Tova, Happy new year to all,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Z Spigelman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:13 pm

We enjoyed the following:
Gush Etzion Alon HaBoded Cabernet Franc 2008 (Thanks GG for the recommendation);
Gvaot Gofna Pinot Noir 2009;
Galil Mt. Alon 2010;
Galil Mt. Avivim 2009;
Galil Mt. Rose 2011;
GHW Golan Moscato 2011.

Gabriel - Do you think that the oak influence on the Yarden Chardonnay Odem Organic Vineyard 2008 will increase or decrease over the next few years? I have not opened a bottle lately hoping that it would decrease.

Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:16 pm

Guys,
I see Gvaot is hot, sadly its not in miami, i dont see it online either.

Since I was out of Gush Etzion, I had 1 bottle of Gamla 2007 Cab Sav (AWESOME!) 1 bottle ramon cardoa di rioja one of my favorite cheaper wines
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Made some changes and ended up with:

Yarden, El-Rom, 2003
Shirah, Power to the People, 2009
Recanati, Med. Reserve, Syrah/Viognier, 2010
Gvaot, Pinot Noir, 2010
Yarden, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2000
Four Gates, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2009
Tzora, Or, 2011
Piada, 2001
Dalton, Fume Blanc, 2011
Porto Cordevero, Ruby Port
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:38 am

Yossi,
Surprised at thr porto cordevo, I find that stuff undrinnkable
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Bill Coleman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:18 am

1st day dinner = Psagot 2010 Chardonnay & 2009 Cab
1st day lunch = 2010 Flam Classico

2nd day dinner = MONY 2009 Reserve Shiraz & 2005 Covenant
2nd day lunch = Yarden 2007 Pinot Noir
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:59 am

Z Spigelman wrote:Gabriel - Do you think that the oak influence on the Yarden Chardonnay Odem Organic Vineyard 2008 will increase or decrease over the next few years? I have not opened a bottle lately hoping that it would decrease.

Hi Zvi, Shana Tova!

Honestly, I don't know. I found the Odem Chard '08 more oaked than I had expected, the oak was in fact more felt than in some vintages of the Katzrin! Perhaps it's my palate as I'm having issues lately to enjoy oaked whites while I used to like that until very recently. I also had a glass of Galil Viognier '11 last week and while liked it a lot at the Jerusalem festival, this time it felt too oaky. Go figure... Now whether there will be a decrease or a an increase in oak influence with israeli white wines in general and Yarden Odem Chardonnay in particular is unknown to me but I'll discuss that with the winemakers when I'll have the opportunity.
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:03 am

Hi; yatir red blend 07,absolutely no idea why this wine fetches the price it does. Recanati syrah 2010 found it very soft for a syrah and not much of a finish. Arza charisma cab 2010,maybe needs more time,the merlot of this series was much more enjoyable.h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Pinchas L » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi Gabe,

AlexEli Pinot Noir 2010 - In an attempt to pair a single wine with dishes of an entire meal, I chose this Pinot. The results did not meet my expectations. The wine itself showed rather thin in body and flavor. I really did not detect much fruit, although after some time in the glass I felt some interesting notes of maple on the finish. Neither did I find any discernible flaws, and it is quite easy to drink, without heavy handed oak or biting tannins. I'll continue to check on this wine periodically to see how it develops. To say that the wine is in a dumb phase, makes me feel uncomfortable, since I'd be using excuses that I typically don't accept for Yarden wines. 13.1% AbV and $36 C/**

Hagafen Prix Chardonnay Hall Vineyard "D" Block 2010 - The fruit contributes notes of apples and pears, and the oak that of vanilla. In my opinion the components are not yer integrated and the complexity is still waiting to develop. The exuberant fruit of the regular bottling is absent, exhibiting restraint and elegance. It is not a fruit bomb, nor is it a butterscotch laden, creamy, oaky monster. I might have considered this overpriced and over-hyped if not for my patience paying off on the '06 version of this wine. Having said that, I'm actually wondering quite how much I'm willing to bet on this wine four years down the road. Perhaps I'd feel more confident if another bottle of the '06 shows as wonderfully as the previous one I had six months ago, assuring that my high assessment of the wine was not a fluke. 13.5% AbV and a list price of $36 B-/**

Castel Grand Vin 2007 - Stylistically this vintage has gone back to the Bordeaux roots of this wine's earlier bottling, showing an abundance of green notes. Though, unlike Bordeaux, those notes are on a background of ripe black fruit. In a way this shows me that '06, with its exuberant display of fruit in the Californian manner, was only a brief break in style. I like the '06 rendition much better, and quite frankly, I'd hoped that was the direction they were going to go with the wine. 14% AbV. B-/***

Hagafen Brut Cuvee Extended Disgorge 2001 - The color is now a burnished copper, and the predominant flavor is yeast, so-much-so that for a moment I thought I was having a great artisanal beer. Fruity notes of apples, pears and lemons are present, but are overwhelmed by the yeast. Overall, my expectations for an elegant sparkling wine were not fulfilled, getting something very aggressive instead. 12% AbV. C+/**

All in all, the wines I picked did not match my expectations, albeit none turned out to be a disaster. That is what can happen when one chooses to be bold and experiment, rather than to go for the true and tried.

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:13 pm

2009 Shilo Mor - Soft and fun Medium body+
2009 Carmel Single Vinyard Merlot Sha'al - Needs some more bottle time yet has amazing potential
2009 Domaine Ventura - Merlot - Yum & elegant with some wonderful Chocolate and Earth
2009 Alexander Reserve Cabernet - One of the better bottles for those needing big and Silky dark fruit
2007 Carmel Appelation Cabernet/Shiraz - light spice medium - full body and QPR :) less than $20
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby gaston k » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:38 pm

First Night - some kind of Sangiovese and Yiron 2007
First Lunch - had beer, Duvel and a Beck's Oktoberfest
Second Night - 2000 Verbau Bordeaux (still kicking) as an Old World, with Yatir Forest 2006 as the New World
Second Lunch - more Duvel

Wine at lunch would have been the knockout blow and disrupted the no naps plan. Turkish coffee came in handy...
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby Jonathan K » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:37 pm

Tried the Bro-deaux from Shirah winery. Very nice wine, showed excellently. Let it sit in a decanter for an hour, then poured. One thing though- perhaps I have a misunderstanding of what some posters are referring to when they talk about a wine having a green streak. I have always felt that when talking about cabernet franc that has bell pepper tones or other vegetal characters, that "green" was the right term to use. I have also used it in a negative connotation when describing a wine with unripe fruit tones.
I have seen the term green used with this wine and I don't get it. This is an easy drinking blend with good tannic structure and the right amount of fruit, but I sensed nothing more than a subtle herbal quality. What I mean is that this is a balanced wine, not with overripe fruit, but not what I would call green.
Anyway-bottom line- I am looking forward to the next bottle.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Stacey B » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:17 pm

Sunday Night Barkan Superiuer Pintoage 2007
Monday Lunch Alexander the Great Cabernet Sauvignon 2006
Monday night Recanati Wild Carignan 2009
Tuesday lunch cant recall lol
Stacey B
Wine geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:17 am

Once again made made kiddush on the 2011 Flam Rose (A/**). I think I've developed an addiction to this wine. In fact, I can't think of any reason to make kidush on anything else. Unlike most wines, this is actually fun to gulp down. I just wish it were a bit more reasonable priced! :roll:

With the fish, I had an Elvi In Vita (B to B+/***). If you keep in mind that this wine is not meant to be complex but rather a delicious, refreshing quaffer, I think it's one of the best in its class and certainly can't be beat on QPR. Very fruity and crisp (peaches, champagne grapes, apricots, lemon zest, cantaloupe) but a bit short on the finish. Great fun!

With meat I had the 2010 Bravdo Shiraz (A-to A/***). A rather sweet and distinctly new world blockbuster, with loads of saddle leather, sweet black cherry, blueberry, and blackberry. Inky black, rich and silky. As always with Bravdo, very well made with excellent structure. An iron fist in a velvet glove. Delicious!

With Dessert, I had the 2005 Yarden Noble Semillion Boytritis (A-/**). I'm no maven in dessert wine but this was absolutely delicious. Very sweet but not cloying. Should continue to improve for many more years.

Second night:

Finished the Flam from last night at kidush, followed by the remainder of the Yarden Semillion with shehechyonu fruit. It was fantastic with dates, figs, pomegrantes, sabras and some other fruit I don't know the name of.

My old favorite 2009 Dalon Wild Yeast Viognier (A/***). It keeps getting more honeyed and the apricots and lychees don't scream the way they used to, but very smooth and delicious.

2010 Bravdo Merlot (B+ to A-/**) Again a new world, oaky merlot but well made. Reminds me of the better vintages of the Yarden Merlot (before they began diverting the best grapes for the SVs. Deep garnet color and very silky, mouth-coating tannins. Hits all the merlot notes.

2010 Capcanes Peraj Petita (B/***) This wine is finally beginning to open up. The oak is a bit more dominant than in past years so I think it still needs a half-year or so to really hit its stride. Now it is dominated by saddle leather, vanilla, and bracing tannins.

I ate out day meals so nothing exciting there...
Last edited by Elie Poltorak on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:18 am

Jonathan K wrote:Tried the Bro-deaux from Shirah winery. Very nice wine, showed excellently. Let it sit in a decanter for an hour, then poured. One thing though- perhaps I have a misunderstanding of what some posters are referring to when they talk about a wine having a green streak. I have always felt that when talking about cabernet franc that has bell pepper tones or other vegetal characters, that "green" was the right term to use. I have also used it in a negative connotation when describing a wine with unripe fruit tones.
I have seen the term green used with this wine and I don't get it. This is an easy drinking blend with good tannic structure and the right amount of fruit, but I sensed nothing more than a subtle herbal quality. What I mean is that this is a balanced wine, not with overripe fruit, but not what I would call green.
Anyway-bottom line- I am looking forward to the next bottle.

I didn't get any green (good or bad green) on the Bro.deux either.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:20 am

Harry J wrote:Hi; yatir red blend 07,absolutely no idea why this wine fetches the price it does. Recanati syrah 2010 found it very soft for a syrah and not much of a finish. Arza charisma cab 2010,maybe needs more time,the merlot of this series was much more enjoyable.h

Re Yatir blend, in its first vintages this wine used to be excellent and actually offered very good QPR but since the '06 vintage it's turned to crap with the price only inching up.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum