Still Standing / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Still Standing / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:39 pm

bsd
At a graduation ceremony ,memories of what was and thoughts of future direction flood the mind in between and perhaps during (boring) speeches; in time that probably works on a grander scale,as we get to an end of a year.
In a simple yet powerfull vain , that we're still standing after all we went through globaly and individualy could be a very profound awareness and even feeling of utmost gratitude.Here's to hoping next year will be even better.
Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Still Standing / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Alexander F » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi Harry,
Well said. This weekend I corked three Czech bottles. All non-kosher by definition. Here are my notes, pardon my engrish:

Chateau Valtice, Ryzlink Vlassky, Vyber z cibeb 2009 - the grape variety is actually Italian Riesling. "Vyber z cibeb" means selection of dry raisins or grapes affected by noble rot. The color is intense gold. Aroma was packed with field flowers, fresh honey with wet, mold cellar at the background. On the palate, it feels very concentrated and sweet, but the sweetness is well balanced by acidity. There is a slight bitterness that can be barely noticed. Very good wine, but not to my liking. Somewhat reminding me Tokaji with its mold cellar notes. 89pts. While honey probably originates from the noble rot, I was curious where the mold cellar notes come from and according to wiki, this kind of wines often develop for 1-2 years in oak (probably old oak), so this explains everything. So different from any Israeli wine that I know.

Znovin Znojmo, Sauvignon Blanc, Vyber z bobuli 2009 - this one is a selection of berries. Bright golden in color. Aroma somewhat different from the classic SB, overripe sweet pear, minerality, grapefruit. The palate is moderately sweet with pear, grapefruit, spices and a note of alcoholic bitterness. On one hand sugar levels are insufficient to take over the wine, on other hand the residual sugar feels misplaced here. Anyway 85pts.

Cech, Vino z Tvrdonic, Sauvignon Blanc, Icewine 2010 - golden in color, with a strong aroma of luscious ripe mango, lichi, apricot jam and tropical fruits. On the palate, it feels very sweet, but thanks to the balancing acidity, it is also refreshing. The long aftertaste holds you until you pour another glass. :) 93-94pts. Amazing wine.

To all those who is "Still Standing" to keep this forum going, Shana Tova and wish it be as sweet as this icewine ;)
Alexander F
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:04 pm

Planned for tonight: 2009 Ventana Vineyard pinot noir
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Z Spigelman » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:24 pm

Shavua Tov Harry.
My wife Rachel returned Friday morning from a week-long business trip in Germany. I figured that she would sleep the day away but instead said that she was really wired and needed to go somewhere to wind-down and relax. I knew the perfect place - Bravdo Winery - one of our favorite wineries to visit with great atmosphere sitting outdoors surrounded by grapevines. We tasted (not for the 1st time) all of the 2010s and the Chardonnay 2011. On one of our previous visits there where we met up with David Raccah and tasted the 2009s and it was difficult deciding which I preferred - the Coupage blend or the Shiraz. This time no such problem - the Coupage really outshined the others and I preferred the Merlot over the Shiraz and the Cabernet Sauvignon.
Friday night - Carmel Sha'al Vineyard Merlot 2009.
Shabbat lunch - Bravdo Chardonnay 2011.
K'tiva V'Chatima Tova.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Shavua Tov!

Friday night:

Livni, Cabernet Sauvignon Sde Calev 2009: Dark, almost black royal purple, full-bodied with on the nose ripe blackberries, cassis and sweet cedarwood, full-bodied and fruit-forward with on the palate overripe blackberries and juicy cassis, with notes of licorice, sweet cedarwood and vanilla and integrated tannins on the long finish. I was surprised with the somewhat weak tannic profile as the last time I had this wine (a few days before Pessach) the tannins were much heavier and almost mouth-coating. The wine was still very good nonetheless.

Shabbat lunch: Finished the Livni which was as good as the previous night, there will be enough wine on Rosh Hashana :wink:

I take this opportunity to wish you all Shana Tova Umetuka, a sweet, happy and healthy new year, filled with blessings for all of you and your families as well as GREAT wines! :D

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Harry J » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi. Finally a Gamla I enjoyed(the last time was the '98 cab!). Gamla merlot 07 rich in flavors of stewed fruit a touch of cocoa and some spiciness. The wine is being offered in some brooklyn stores @ a discount so that's nice too.h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:59 am

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2007 Recanati, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve. Very nice, but nothing special going on here.

A very happy New Year to all,

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Craig Winchell » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:02 am

Final blend of Agua Dulce 2010 Cab... good, just the right balance of sensory characteristics.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Pinchas L » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:34 am

Hi Harry,

Asif Viognier 2008 - The palate following the intensely aromatic nose does not disappoint, offering a wonderful mix of sweet tropical fruit, bitter orange peel, and spicy ginger. Its a hefty wine with 14.5% AbV and a waxy texture to match it. Not as good on day two, but that might be attributed to my sinuses acting up. A-/**

Psagot Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 - As an entry level wine this is quite good. There is a nice amount of cassis and dark fruit, though a bit stewed, alongside a green streak. The alcohol is a bit high at 14.7% AbV, but other than to spice up the wine, I did not feel that it interfered much with my overall enjoyment. C+/NA

Best regards and my wishes for a happy new year,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Shlomo R » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:49 am

Was considering opening up something extra special to celebrate my completing an Ironman half-course triathlon on Sunday, but decided to hold that over till Sunday night when we will be at my parents' house for Rosh Hashana. Instead I opened up a bottle of 2007 Yarden Merlot - still special, but not "woohoo-I-just-finished-a-70-mile-triathlon!" special.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Enjoyed a lovely undocumented Four Gates Pinot Noir, which may or may not see the light of day - personally, I hope it does - was awesome, and in some ways reminded me of a lovely Benyo Pinot with a hint of Israel, because of ripe blackberry, black plum, and sweet cedar that appears a few hours after opening the bottle.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:09 pm

David Raccah wrote:Enjoyed a lovely undocumented Four Gates Pinot Noir, which may or may not see the light of day

Tease!
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Kovnat » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:58 pm

Yarden Rom 2007 for Erev Rosh HaShanah -- Wow. Full bodied with dark berries, chocolate and coffee. Loooooooong aftertaste with lingering tannins. Love it.

Yarden Gewurztraminer 2011 for Motzie Hag -- Full of fruit (melon, strawberries, and citrus, especially pomeliot). Love it.

To all a Shana Tova -- Hag Samach

Dan
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
Daniel Kovnat
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:35 am

2011 Flam Rose (A-/**)
2010 Ella Valley Sauvignon Blanc (B/**) Starting to slide past its prime. Not as crisp as one would like. Lots of nice fruit though an a long zesty finish.
2010 Gvaot Herodian Cabernet Sauvignon (A-/*) A full-throated unabashedly new-world parker-styled wine but very well done at that. It'll improve with time as the oak settles down. Right now the oak dominates with saddle leather and vanilla, after that you get loads of cassis, blackberry and black cherry. Firm, well-structured tannins and a long rewarding finish.
2009 Binyamina Yogev CS/Petite Verdot (B-/***). Very pleasant quaffer, dominated by stewed plums and red fruit. Drink up.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Isaac C » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Sorry for the late response - Tzuba Merlot 2007 - Nice wine, though I enjoyed it more when I had it by tastings.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum