My Notes On The Midbar Winery

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

My Notes On The Midbar Winery

Postby ChaimShraga » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:03 am

Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
ChaimShraga
Wine guru

Re: My Notes On The Midbar Winery

Postby Alexander F » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:00 pm

Well written Chaim. Looks like I've to start hunting them. If you liked them, these wines must be good. What happen to Asif winery? It ceased operations?
Alexander F
Ultra geek

Postby ChaimShraga » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:08 am

Midbar is a continuation of Asif. I guess they replaced the signs and label.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
ChaimShraga
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:00 pm

I've scheduled my own tasting of Midbar's wines for next week. Looking forward! :D
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Pinchas L » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:26 am

Hi Chaim,

Thanks for your notes. I just had the '08 Viognier that I enjoyed, finding the intensely rich aromatics making its way to the palate. It has a beatiful texture and quite a complex flavor profile. Honestly, after having this wine I don't get your aversion to the variety.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Mike_F » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:51 am

Following Chaim's notes, I took advantage of a (limited time) special price offer at Wine Depot to purchase one bottle of the Midbar White 44 (2010) to try with fish at our Rosh HaShana dinner. The consensus around the table was that it is a nice wine, but not outstanding in any way, and certainly does not justify the list price. Personally I find it way too off-dry for my tastes, and would have cheerfully traded my glass for another pouring of the Pelter Sauvignon Blanc we had earlier in the evening.

I will still look for a chance to try the Semillon Sauvignon Blanc blend, if I can find it at a tolerable price, but am not as optimistic as I was when first reading Chaim's notes...

cheers,

Mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby DavidPer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:18 am

I recently spoke with Yaakov Oryah about Midbar Winery before visiting the vineyards near Mtizpe Ramon with the talented grower Eran Raz.

Asif Winery is out of business. Midbar Winery, which hired Yaakov as the winemaker also bought out the stock of wine and the facility in Arad. This is how the new Midbar Winery was able to open and immediately sell wines.

I shared a bottle of the Chen Blanc and was overwhelmed by its crisp acidity and refreshing fruits, a real winner!
David Perlmutter
Licensed tour guide, specialize in culinary and wine tours.
www.israeladventure.com
DavidPer
Wine geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum