Crank bread through pasta machine?

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Crank bread through pasta machine?

Postby Fred Sipe » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:38 pm

So I'm watching Iron Chef, Symon vs. someone I don't know, and the secret ingredient is bread.

Both chefs cranked pieces of bread through a pasta machine. One use was as a wrapper to a sort of spring roll.

Got me to thinking what types of bread I could use and to what purpose. Interesting idea or a dead end?
User avatar
Fred Sipe
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: Crank bread through pasta machine?

Postby Robin Garr » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:So I'm watching Iron Chef, Symon vs. someone I don't know, and the secret ingredient is bread.

Both chefs cranked pieces of bread through a pasta machine. One use was as a wrapper to a sort of spring roll.

Got me to thinking what types of bread I could use and to what purpose. Interesting idea or a dead end?

I almost hate to say this, but the first thought that occurred to me was that this sounds like it would work best with Wonder Bread. :mrgreen:

Still, if you have a pasta machine around, it wouldn't require much investment of money or time to give it a try!
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17155
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Crank bread through pasta machine?

Postby Howie Hart » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:08 pm

I've used my pasta machine to make pierogies. I think it might work for making something like cinnamon pinwheels, rolled up, cut and allowed to rise. Or maybe bread sticks or pretzels.
Edit: HMMM I just re-read the post and you said "bread" not "bread dough", which is what I was thinking of in my above suggestions, so, never mind. :oops:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
User avatar
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo
 
Posts: 5930
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm
Location: Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Crank bread through pasta machine?

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:08 am

Use the pasta machine to make thin layers of rye bread. Moisten with sharp mustard. Alternate slices of rye and corned beef (or pastrami). Cut and trim.

It's a Jewish torte! (Decorate it with a Star of David made from pimiento strips?) :lol:
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy
 
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 am
Location: NYC

Re: Crank bread through pasta machine?

Postby Frank Deis » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Fred Sipe wrote:So I'm watching Iron Chef, Symon vs. someone I don't know, and the secret ingredient is bread.

Both chefs cranked pieces of bread through a pasta machine. One use was as a wrapper to a sort of spring roll.

Got me to thinking what types of bread I could use and to what purpose. Interesting idea or a dead end?

I almost hate to say this, but the first thought that occurred to me was that this sounds like it would work best with Wonder Bread. :mrgreen:

Still, if you have a pasta machine around, it wouldn't require much investment of money or time to give it a try!


I had immediately thought the same thing, Robin. I think those of us whose parents bought Wonder Bread can remember molding it into various shapes before eating (or not eating) it. Cubes and Spheres were my favorites, with the occasional Tetrahedron. I don't think I had learned the list of Platonic Solids back then. It would probably take several slices to make a convincing Icosahedron.
Frank Deis
Wine guru
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:20 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Crank bread through pasta machine?

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:11 pm

Were they using white sandwich bread or something more substantial?

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
User avatar
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair
 
Posts: 6995
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Crank bread through pasta machine?

Postby Fred Sipe » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:22 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Use the pasta machine to make thin layers of rye bread. Moisten with sharp mustard. Alternate slices of rye and corned beef (or pastrami). Cut and trim.

It's a Jewish torte! (Decorate it with a Star of David made from pimiento strips?) :lol:


I actually like that idea, Jeff! Was thinking along the same lines.
User avatar
Fred Sipe
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: Crank bread through pasta machine?

Postby Fred Sipe » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:24 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Were they using white sandwich bread or something more substantial?


Pretty much just a white sandwich bread but it got me thinking.

Brioche? Cinnamon bread?
User avatar
Fred Sipe
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: Crank bread through pasta machine?

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:15 pm

Yeah, it does make you think. Wonder what would happen if you fried some of the flattened bread?

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
User avatar
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair
 
Posts: 6995
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Crank bread through pasta machine?

Postby Fred Sipe » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:03 pm

How about layers of butter-fried sesame italian filled with fried sage leaves and crisped shallot rounds and smoked salmon?

Fried Pepperidge farms cinnamon swirl layers filled with cream cheese and maple syrup or peanut butter.
User avatar
Fred Sipe
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: Crank bread through pasta machine?

Postby Jenise » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Were they using white sandwich bread or something more substantial?


I watched that show. They used a pullman loaf--basically, a square white sandwich bread.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26396
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Crank bread through pasta machine?

Postby Heinz Bobek » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:43 am

The Italian sandwich Tramezzini is suitable best for this purpose. I've wrapped venison, or lamb loin with a flattened tramezzini.

1.jpg
1.jpg (38.69 KiB) Viewed 1413 times


At least fried in a pan, cut into pieces, and served with sauce, chestnuts and vegetables.
Heinz Bobek
Wine geek
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Munich Germany

Re: Crank bread through pasta machine?

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Oh, is it chestnut season again? I love it when that happens.... :D
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy
 
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 am
Location: NYC


Return to The Forum Kitchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mike Filigenzi, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests