Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Red Rose Tea

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Red Rose Tea

by Jenise » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Last night we stopped at a Canadian supermarket on our way home so I could reload on Red Rose Tea, my absolute fave on the planet for iced tea which I consume a lot of. A friend riding with us protested that Red Rose was available at local markets, but I couldn't remember seeing its bright red box.

Today we stopped at a local store and checked, and sure enough, there was Red Rose tea--in a blue box. For the heck of it, I bought a box to compare.

The verdict? Same name, not the same tea. The color difference you see is a difference very evident in taste, too. The Canadian tea is stronger, more extracted and characterful. The American tea by comparison tastes like cereal.

Not that anybody but me ever wondered, but just in case I go on about Red Rose some day and someone sitting there with a box they bought in, say, Kentucky, thinks "Oh I have that", well, no you don't.
IMG_4539.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Red Rose Tea

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:28 pm

I was going to say it is available in Raley's here in Redding, but not in a red box. So I visited their website and they say it is a Canadian tea, but it showed a picture of a blue box. Could it be that the Canadians have asked for a more pronounced tea? It would be fun to call the company and ask! Some boxes even contain figurines that folks collect.

Maybe this tells us something?

http://www.the-color-of-tea.com/red-rose-tea.html
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:08 pm

Red Rose has always been a favorite for me too. Do the Canadians get the little ceramic figurine in the box, too?

pastseries_endangered.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:04 am

Karen, maybe it's believed that Americans only like weak tea! Thing is, that Red Rose is so different it would gather it's own fans, the way it did me I'd think. No need for it to be more Lipton-like, there are a lot of competitors for that.

Fred, yes the American box I bought had a little white ceramic snowman in it. No figurines in the Canadian boxes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:10 am

Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:57 am

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:27 am

This may be beside the point here -- but this summer I have been using something from Upton Tea

"Darjeeling - Ceylon whole leaf iced tea blend"

Pretty satisfying

In your picture the glass on the left looks darker, and THAT is the American stuff?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:55 am

Frank, no, that's the Canadian. Darker, redder and richer in flavor. Btw, I should have mentioned that the bags are different too. Entirely different manufacture, and even the tea inside looks different--the Canadian being an even dark color, and the American having lighter flecks in it.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:59 am

Can you fix the caption? "Canadian right, American legt" (sic)

<<<<< Left is THAT way! :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:04 pm

Frank Deis wrote:Can you fix the caption? "Canadian right, American legt" (sic)

<<<<< Left is THAT way! :D

Oh, that's embarrassing. Sorry. I was having a VERY bad day yesterday. This post was an attempt to distract myself. Didn't work that well. :)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:07 pm

Wikipedia says, in part: Red Rose brand tea has been available in the United States since the 1920s, but it is a different blend of black pekoe and cut black teas compared to the orange pekoe sold in Canada.

ETA: The US website for Red Rose Tea offers a breakdown of the included leaves but the CA site does not.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:14 pm

I never stop being amazed at what you can find on Wikipedia. Thanks, Jeff. If anyone wants a sample of Canadian Red Rose for your next batch of iced tea, PM me an address and I'll mail you some.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:52 pm

We use Russian Caravan from Mark Wendell. Brew two tablespoons in a liter for five minutes, strain, and rebrew for ten minutes. Best ice tea you ever had!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:41 am

Alan Kerr, our British, MOCOOL Chef, lives just across the border from me in Canada. He came over for a few glasses of wine and a fish fry on Friday, so I asked him to bring me some Red Rose tea and Grey Poupon mustard. He brought me not only the Red Rose, but also, the Tetley, which he prefers. My first observation of the bags was that the teas he brought did not have strings or tags. The Tetley is packaged in England. I also noticed that these tea bags seemed bigger. I checked that writing on the boxes and did some math. US tea bags (I had some Lipton in the pantry) contain about 2.2 grams of tea per bag. The Tetley and Red Rose that Alan brought me contain 3.1 grams of tea per bag. So, Jenise, if you want to do a comparison of the US and Canadian again, you may want to increase the number of US tea bags by 50%. I had a cup of each of the ones Alan brought me this afternoon. Both were much stronger and darker than than any US tea I've had, but that could be due to the volume of tea in the bags. And, I did prefer the English Tetley to the Red Rose. Regarding the mustard, instead of Grey Poupon, Alan brought me Maille Dijon, which he prefers, so I'll have to give that a try.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:53 am

Howie Hart wrote:Alan Kerr, our British, MOCOOL Chef, lives just across the border from me in Canada. He came over for a few glasses of wine and a fish fry on Friday, so I asked him to bring me some Red Rose tea and Grey Poupon mustard. He brought me not only the Red Rose, but also, the Tetley, which he prefers. My first observation of the bags was that the teas he brought did not have strings or tags. The Tetley is packaged in England. I also noticed that these tea bags seemed bigger. I checked that writing on the boxes and did some math. US tea bags (I had some Lipton in the pantry) contain about 2.2 grams of tea per bag. The Tetley and Red Rose that Alan brought me contain 3.1 grams of tea per bag. So, Jenise, if you want to do a comparison of the US and Canadian again, you may want to increase the number of US tea bags by 50%. I had a cup of each of the ones Alan brought me this afternoon. Both were much stronger and darker than than any US tea I've had, but that could be due to the volume of tea in the bags. And, I did prefer the English Tetley to the Red Rose. Regarding the mustard, instead of Grey Poupon, Alan brought me Maille Dijon, which he prefers, so I'll have to give that a try.

Howie, yes, the Canadian teas are stronger. They look as if they could contain more tea, but I wasn't sure--thanks for checking that. As for using more of the U.S. bags, yes I did that to use up the American Red Rose, using three bags vs. two to make approximately 16 ounces of tea for pouring over ice. I'll agree with Alan, you might be surprised to know, on Tetley for a hot cup of tea; but for iced tea, the Red Rose wins. And of course it's not just strength of flavor but the flavor itself that matters, the American tea is a different blend. I wonder if the size difference is based on the belief that Americans are more likely to just be making a cup vs. a pot (like the small ones used in restaurant service that hold approximately two cups worth).
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:42 pm

We have a few british friends who come to visit and they always seem to bring Tetley with them.

Howie - I predict you'll like the Maille. Good on sausages.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child