Anybody interested in extremely serious wine tasting?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Anybody interested in extremely serious wine tasting?

Postby Marc G » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Pretty sure many of us are due for a nice wine tasting. I havent posted in a while but I regularly visit this site. I am offering to host tasting thurs the 23rd at my house in Lawrence NY for forumites. If this doesnt work out for most then perhaps next week. BYOB is optional. I have nice selection of wines that I would be happy to open. Let me know
Marc G
Wine geek

Re: Anybody interested in extremely serious wine tasting?

Postby Marc G » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Well I had zero takers from the forum so I invited some local friends. I chose six wines. The last minute I thought of David Raccahs article about a tasting at Andrews house. I think he mentioned a wish to have done blind tasting. Anyway I put paper bags around the wines and had my wife number them so at least for me it would be half blind. The wines were in order 1)Weinstock Select Zinfandel 2)BR Cohn 08 Cab 3) 05 El26 4)99 Herzog Chalk Hill 5)03 Pontet Canet 6)05 Carmel Limited. During the tasting I sort of lost track of the exact comments regarding peoples impressions. The overall favorites seemed to have been #2 and #6. Most identified the Weinstock as the cheapest wine in the group. Everyone including me guessed #3 as a Bordeaux. The 2 wines that stood out to me as the best and favorite were the EL26 and Pontet Canet. I also thought they had the best fruit. The Chalk Hill is a little over the hill with its once opulent fruit fading and revealing too much acidity. The Weinstock was pretty good. The BR Cohn was a dissapointment for me. It seemed to be heading downhill fast. The Carmel was very good and my third favorite. After revealing the wines we drank some more. Looking at the bottles this morning I noticed that the Chalk Hill and Carmel were the only completely finished bottles while the Weistock had the most remaining. I guess thats no surprise.
Last edited by Marc G on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc G
Wine geek

Postby David Raccah » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Awesome! Great information here. First you said that they liked BR Cohn and then you said they did not. Was that more that the group initially liked BR Cohn and the Limited and that you did not like the BR Cohn? Also, The Pontet Canet would be the winner of that group to me not because it has the highest cost - but because it is better than the Limited. I do also like the BR Cohn, did you find it too soft and elegant or did you see a flaw in it. The BR Cohn is semi-famous for its elegance more than its power. The EL26 is a more power packed wine that would get a like from people. Finally, the Limited is lovely and getting soft and plush which would be appreciated by some.

Kudos on doing a tasting - this is what people need to be doing more of. I will be having a tasting this Shabbos with Israeli Syrah.

Best Wishes,
David

P.S. Eli told me he really appreciated the tasting...
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Marc G » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:13 pm

I probably overeacted when writing the BR Cohen comments. I dont think is was that bad. Just lacking the freshness that I remember from yr of its release.
Marc G
Wine geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:54 pm

Marc: I'd be happy to join you next time but I'd need more than a day's notice. I'm thinking of hosting a tasting myself one of these days... Would anyone be interested in trekking out to Crown Heights?
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:57 pm

BS"D

Sounds fun just don't know where to put the wife and kids :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Jay H » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:17 pm

Elie Poltorak wrote:Marc: I'd be happy to join you next time but I'd need more than a day's notice. I'm thinking of hosting a tasting myself one of these days... Would anyone be interested in trekking out to Crown Heights?

Would be interesting. Can I also BMOB ?
Jay H
Cellar rat

Postby Marc G » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:48 pm

I know it was last minute and that the odds were against getting a large crowd. Especially from out of the area. I plan on attending the wine and food event on Sep 10 so maybe Ill see some of you there.
Marc G
Wine geek

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:27 pm

Miami in the winter... I have an event in the pipes if I can win against the women, (im single so i retain the right to believe I can win against women)

Also i'm in Israel 5 weeks this winter so whosever up for yehuda and shomron wine trekking im game
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum