Hararei Kedem

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Hararei Kedem

Postby Philippe Weinberger » Wed May 12, 2010 11:48 am

hi , has anyone heard of this winery or these wines ?harei kedem or harerei kedem
thanks
Philippe Weinberger
Just got here

Re: Hararei Kedem

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed May 12, 2010 12:33 pm

Philippe, Hello and Welcome to the Forum.....

It is widely said that virtue is its own reward. So, it seems is the case with patience. I first heard of the Hararei Kedem winery when, as a completely unknown, the winery won several medals at the Eshkol HaZahav (Golden Cluster) competition about a month ago. Following that, several people inquired as to the wines and today I finally laid hands on information.

The winery, located in the settlement of Yitzhar not far from Nablus is owned by Ariel Ben-Shitrit and is currently producing about 10,000 bottles annually, those based on organically raised grapes. The award winning wines, from the 2007 vintage were a Cabernet Sauvignon, a Merlot and a Cabernet-Merlot blend. Because the winery adhered to the rules of shnat shmita (the sabbatical year for the fields) no wines will be produced from the 2008 vintage.

I have not yet tasted the wines but today was in contact with the winery and will be meeting them in Tel Aviv, here to receive bottles for tasting. I will, of course, update as I taste the wines.

The wines are kosher and those interested can contact the winery at 050-9972605. Those interested in the politics and news centering particularly about this settlement will do best to do a Google search for Yitzhar. I strongly request that while all should feel free to post about the wines, we do not discuss those political aspects here.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Michael P » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:15 pm

Rogov,

Have you had a chance to taste any of these wines?

Thanks.
Michael P
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:34 pm

Michael, Hi....

Because the people of the winery have not answered my communications I will have to wait until the wines show up in Israel and can be purchased. I would appreciate news on this if any of our forumites knows where these wines are available.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Note that the winery is now known as Ben Porat....Its a shame that Mr Rogov z'l did not trek up to Yitzhar to taste some of the most amazing wines!
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:43 am

Hi Elchonon and welcome to the forum! Seeing new and old red highlighted threads, especially by new members, always brings up a smile to my face. :D

I first tasted recently a wine from the Hararei Kedem winery, that was the 2006 Merlot. The winemaker who made that wine, Ilane Abitbol, is a friend of mine. Unfortunately the wine was DOA but I could still feel that it used to be a good wine not so long ago. I hope that Ilane will do me the favor once to bring me a good bottle to enjoy with him.

Please let us know if you happen to have any additional information as to the wines now available by the nowadays called Ben Porat winery.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:41 pm

The Winery is just fine, I need to get some bottles brought to the USA or will go there in november

Ben Porat Winery – 050-9972605
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum