Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you eat ice cream cones?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Do you eat ice cream cones?

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:16 pm

We do! I really had not thought much about ice cream cones as a teen, young married, or even when the kids got older. Then youngest son wanted to go to basketball camp in Santa Barbara where Jamaal Wilkes was doing some training. An overnight stop to see my parents in Cambria would be great. Youngest son went to bed early because their guest room had a TV. Dad got out the ice cream and made ice cream cones for all of us, and delivered one to his grandson...IN BED! That started our ice cream cone love affair.

So, in the summer, we keep a box of Keebler ice cream cones in the pantry. These cones are very small, but I have learned how to pile the ice cream on top, in fact I am a master engineer at creating ice cream towers. Since we are surrounded by wildfires here in the north state, an ice cream cone after lunch has become a comfort for us.
Today, Gene had a lunch date, so I got out the Dryers low-fat orange cream sherbet and did a masterful tower on that small cone. Yum! We just finished off a container of Dryers, low fat Butter Brickle. Gene will probably have his treat when he gets back home. When winter arrives we drop the ice cream for several months until the heat arrives. Then off I go looking for the latest new flavors. :D
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Do you eat ice cream cones?

by Carl Eppig » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:47 pm

Sure do. Like sugar cones best. In these parts we usually get a choice of them or waffle cones.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:10 pm

Not for me, thanks. Messy, and wasted calories. Gimme my hand-crafted artisanal ice cream in a dish. Compostable takeout cup will be okay. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:33 pm

I prefer cake cones over both sugar and waffle. A dish is always OK.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:35 pm

Karen,
Yes, love ice cream and especially in any sort of cone. I hope the Lake County fires havent been too close to your neck of the woods. I will be travelling through Hwy 20 in a couple of weeks and am bracing to see the aftermath. On a different note, long time we bought an ice cream sandwich from a street vendor in Singapore..which was a literally ice cream between two slices of white bread!! It was delicious.
-Shaji
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Shaji M wrote:Karen,
Yes, love ice cream and especially in any sort of cone. I hope the Lake County fires haven't been too close to your neck of the woods. I will be traveling through Hwy 20 in a couple of weeks and am bracing to see the aftermath. On a different note, long time we bought an ice cream sandwich from a street vendor in Singapore..which was a literally ice cream between two slices of white bread!! It was delicious.
-Shaji

We are further north than Lake county, a bit below Mt. Shasta. Biggest worry now is the Ponderosa fire burning near the mountain communities of Shingletown, Manton, and Viola. Over 15000 acres and 3500 homes in danger. 2000 folks have already been evacuated, and Red Cross has set up shelter in the Big League Field of Dreams here in Redding. Tucked up in those mountains are summer homes, apple orchards, wineries,lakes, water falls, quaint bridges, lots of ranches with livestock, wealthy folks who have come up from So CA and want peace and quiet, poor folks who live in shacks, and so much more. Thanks to Obama and our own stupid govenor, we are short on planes, manpower, and equipment. So. CA has sent up help and even Hawaii. Over 400 outsiders arrived yesterday to assist. Obama would not allow contracts to be fulfilled so half the planes are sitting, tied up in politics.

So unless you plan to travel Hi way 44 or 36 you will not see the aftermath of the destruction. I also understand that over 15% Lassen National Forest has burned. This fire is an inferno and the type that kills the soil for decades. On Friday afternoon when it started everyone thought that Mount Lassen had blown it's top, it looked like an atom bomb. :(

We are a mere 45 minutes away from it all and unless the wind shifts blowing to the west we are not worried for ourselves, yet.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Not for me, thanks. Messy, and wasted calories. Gimme my hand-crafted artisanal ice cream in a dish. Compostable takeout cup will be okay. :mrgreen:

Messy? LOL, Robin I can assure you not one drop of it escapes me. Wasted calories yes, but considering our diets and activity, I think it will be OK for now. Considering the amount of money I spend on my garden and what I get at the Farmer's Market each week, we get more than our fill of veggies, fruits, nuts, whole grains. It is my vice for the summer! :twisted:
Anyway if is a good way to get some calories into my skinny sweetie who works it all off.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote: Wasted calories yes, but considering our diets and activity, I think it will be OK for now.

No offense meant, Karen! I was speaking for myself, not lecturing anybody else! ;)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:26 pm

I love ice cream in just about any container, including edible ones. I rarely eat cones, though, because we usually consume our ice cream at home and I don't want to buy packs of them.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:59 pm

We love cones because they are more festive than ice cream in a cup. And we try to eat them as often as possible in the summer (which is actually only 2-3 times per month, during weekend excursions).

But I'm not a big fan of these massive towers you mention. In fact, (like a broken record) I'm not a big fan of the massive portions American ice cream stores tend to give out. Even the 'smalls' are usually enough to fill you up for the entire day! I have a lot more fun in Europe where you can get nice little pick-me-up cones for 1 euro and change with one sensible scoop. Enough for you to enjoy the flavor and the refreshment without denting your wallet or your meal trajectory for the day.

That said, I'm eagerly plotting my next Nyc ice cream trip. For NYers, we've been big fans of Grom recently. In recent weeks the white fig has been especially luscious for my tastes although last week's blueberry was pretty interesting, with lots of blueberries still intact and a crumbly texture.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote: Wasted calories yes, but considering our diets and activity, I think it will be OK for now.

No offense meant, Karen! I was speaking for myself, not lecturing anybody else! ;)

Oh gosh Robin, I did not take offense...you NEVER offend anyone.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:29 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:.you NEVER offend anyone.

Don't spend much time in the Friends & Fun section, do ya? :lol:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:28 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:.you NEVER offend anyone.

Don't spend much time in the Friends & Fun section, do ya? :lol:

Nope.....too much drama! :shock:
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:36 pm

My Mom was an accountant for a rural dairy in northern Minnesota in the mid-1930s and '40s; Bridgeman Creamery, I believe it was called. As part of her other duties, she'd be called out of the office to taste test new flavors. I've been told I had ice cream in lieu of mother's milk from the day I was born and I believe it. I need ice cream. I get cups more often than cones but I'll take a cone anyway, too. A pint of and good ice cream and a spoon and I'm all set.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:14 pm

We aren't big ice cream eaters, which is probably a godsend since we eat enough other "bad" things. I usually only buy it to "top" another dessert such as pie or cobbler, and the leftover ice cream crystalizes months later until I throw it out.

However, when we are in New England (which is now) the ice cream shops in the quaint downtowns just call to us. The other night we got cones in Bar Harbor. I got Kahlua Brownie, Len got Blackraspberry Explosion. Something about window shopping with an ice cream cone is extremely appealing.

That is a neat story about how your ice cream love affair started.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Not for me, thanks. Messy, and wasted calories. Gimme my hand-crafted artisanal ice cream in a dish. Compostable takeout cup will be okay. :mrgreen:

Rarely have ice cream, but I'm your opposite. If it's not on a cone, I don't eat ice cream. Never eat it at home.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:36 am

I don't eat ice cream very much, but I do like it served in a waffle cone. We have a local seasonal (summertime only) ice cream stand called Hayward's in Nashua NH that makes French vanilla ice cream to die for, and serves it in freshly made waffle cones. I devour it, cone and all, greedily.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:56 pm

I'm a fiend for ice cream. When I used to do a lot of egg white fining, we would devote the yolks to home-made vanilla bean ice cream- we have a 6 quart ice cream tub freezer, and we would do several per season. Cones are great, but more often than not, we'll eat in a bowl, sometimes with hot fudge and whipped cream. In fact, hot fudge sundaes are considered a basic food group in my household.