Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Restaurant offers discount if you don't jabber!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Restaurant offers discount if you don't jabber!

by Redwinger » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:08 am

The constant jabber and phone distractions are one, and only one, of the reason we seldom do "upscale" dining these days. it's not even the phone calls, but there seems a reluctance these days to excuse oneself from the table and not share those riveting conversations with everyone within 75'

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/l ... 9557.story
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Restaurant offers discount if you don't jabber!

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:59 am

Well if that isn't just a bunch of silliness. It is just plain wrong to leave your cell phone at dinner. Even at home. If you are a person who is on call, such as a doctor or other medical person, I can see it. Otherwise leave the dang cell phone off. If you need to check on something, go out of the building or into a quiet area. I get so tired of the stupid people talking on their phones about personal crap for all the rest of us to hear. People are so self-focused these days.

Why would a restaurant even offer a discount? It is ludicrous. Instruct the waits to tell patrons to turn off their phones or use them in another area. Period.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Yeah, this sort of thing really bothers me, too. I think (hope) that this should become less common in the future. It's taking time for cell phone etiquette to develop, but as they become less of a status symbol and a new technology, people should become more conscious of how annoying and asinine they sound when they're broadcasting their personal conversations to a group of strangers.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:05 pm

What get's me is when the folks who have been jabbering away get up to leave, and you say something like "I hope Jean is feeling better", they climb all over you back for evesdropping!
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:21 pm

I'll sign on totally to what Karen and Carl have written. I think it is also up to restaurants to post signs that conversations by cell phone are not acceptable except for emergency medical reasons. Carl, if someone would admonish me for eavesdropping I would like to tell you my response to that person but there are women and children reading the internet.