Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Food to serve with FX Pichler Sauvignon Blanc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 am

Food to serve with FX Pichler Sauvignon Blanc

by Gary Bobier » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:57 pm

I am doing another of my wine dinners and I had an FX Sauv Blanc a few months ago and loved it. I want this group to experience it. The dinner will be food and wines from Italy, Germany and France. I will serve the all foods with the wine of the area. What food would pair with it? I was thinking of a hearty Potato, leek, bacon soup. Other wines will be a Prosecco, Amarone, Valpoilcella Ripaso, Vin Santo or Barsac, and a Pouilly Fume. Thank you in advance for all your help. I am really stuck on this one. Most of my tasters are not foodies and will not enjoy alot of the wild different foods of the Wachau. Simple, straight up will be better.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Food to serve with FX Pichler Sauvignon Blanc

by Carl Eppig » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:32 pm

If their is a slight spicy Austrian shimp dish in your hands, that would be my choice.
no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 am

by Gary Bobier » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:If their is a slight spicy Austrian shimp dish in your hands, that would be my choice.

Can you give me some more input on this dish?
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:48 pm

FX Sauv blanc is pretty similiar to other sbs except a little more body and oomph. Whatever you think would go well with any sb will fit the bill. Any dish that is spicy (hot) usually needs a wine with a little residual sugar for balance.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:29 am

I didn't know FX even made a SB, the only Austrian SBs I've had were Styrian (does everyone use the English term Sauvignon Blanc? or is there a Germanic name, like Grauburgunder -Pinot Gris, Weissburgunder= Pinot Blanc , Spatburgunder = Pinot Noir).
But based on Lou's description I'd say this clam/udon/lemongrass dish would go well, I served with a flight of Dagueneau, Cotat, and LAville Haut Brion, and liked the pairing
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ming ... index.html
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi Dale,

Sauvignon Blanc has been grown in Germany for centuries. It used to be known as Muscat Silvaner (which sort of makes sense if you think about it.) Today, it is always labelled as Sauvignon Blanc. As you mentioned, Austrian Styria makes some good wines (I just had the 2007 Tement Zieregg Sauvignon Blanc on Friday -a bit reductive and disjointed right now FWIW.) Anyway, it is popular right now in Germany as well, but I sense that said popularity is waning a bit.

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks Bill, I was just wondering if I was missing some SB because it was marketed under another name. Tement was one of the Styrian SBs I tried, though Sabathi (sp?) made best ones I tried (small sample).