Produce with great color

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Produce with great color

Postby Karen/NoCA » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:58 pm

Does color play much of a role in your selection of fresh produce? It does for me. Right now at the Farmer's Markets I am in awe at the riot of color. I have to stop and look for a few minutes to soak it all in. Two weeks ago I was introduced to red romaine...deep Burgundy actually. I have been buying beautiful leaf lettuce in a rich, deep burgundy for years but had never seen the romaine. Bell peppers are in my garden in a very rich gold, red, and purple. Even the banana peppers which I am having trouble keeping up with are turning a shade of orange.

I seem to always head for the stall at the market with the most colors first. Last week, a grower caught my eye with an array of dark purple, red, and yellow potatoes, sitting alongside red torpedo onions. Then a wild mess of brilliant yellow and green baby squashes. Our dinner plates are very colorful these days. :D

purple romaine resized.jpg
purple romaine resized.jpg (93.16 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Re: Produce with great color

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:16 am

Agreed. Tonight's caprese was green, mottled dark red, bright red, white (the cheese), green (chiffonade of basil), and black (olives).

The look of food matters.
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy

Postby Jenise » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:21 pm

The colors are beyond intoxicating at this time of the year. The lettuces are one of the most tantalizing things, but nothing fascinates me more, of course, than a big pile of mixed heirloom tomatoes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Rahsaan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:43 pm

I agree that produce is beautiful and glorious in these months but if I had to come down on the most beautiful and glorious aspect I would have to say taste! :wink:

You can still get nice vibrant color variation in the winter from red cabbage, red beets, carrots, citrus, hardy greens and herbs, but the succulent luscious heaven-sent flavors are not there as much!
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy

Postby Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:05 pm

My red and golden peppers are coloring up nicely now. This was my morning harvest.
Attachments
garden color.jpg
garden color.jpg (134.98 KiB) Viewed 693 times
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Postby Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:48 pm

Really, Karen -- again?! :mrgreen:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
Jo Ann Henderson
Mealtime Maven

Postby Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Really, Karen -- again?! :mrgreen:

But, but it's so pretty! :lol:
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Return to The Forum Kitchen