Harissa

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Harissa

Postby Drew Hall » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:51 am

A friend of mine just returned from Tunisia and brought back some pre-made harissa (can). What do I do with it?

Drew
Drew Hall
Wine guru

Re: Harissa

Postby Shaji M » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:23 am

Drew,
Several possibilities, but recently we marinated pieces of chicken in harissa (pre made) and yogurt and baked until done. Couldnt make enough of it!
-Shaji
Shaji M
Wine guru

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:33 am

Harissa is a spicy red pepper condiment. So, you can just put a dollop of it on a plate (next to some grilled merguez sausages, say) or blend with any other liquid/paste to alter its flavor (try mix with olive oil and spread on toast, or mix with pesto and apply to pasta).

On another board, someone asked the same question: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/542838
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy

Postby Hoke » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:24 pm

What Jeff and Shaji said.

Use it as you might Spanish paprika, for instance.

One good way is with pommes Frits...mix up a bit of Harissa (amount proportion depending on how much heat is wanted) with mayo/aioli as a dip. Incredibly tasty!
Hoke
Achieving Wine Immortality

Postby Frank Deis » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Oh man. Find a Moroccan cookbook and pick a recipe at random!!

Or Google recipe harissa...

I recently bought something a little unusual, a dry powdered version of harissa. You get heat from it but you also get Moroccan flavors, maybe cumin and some other stuff as well.
Frank Deis
Wine guru

Postby Christina Georgina » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:58 pm

Add a little to this or that ....does wonders ! Am making my own as I find the tinned varieties metallic tasting. Have had some jarred that were better. Like any other spice pastes there are many variations from chile, garlic , olive oil only to the same with coriander, cumin and caraway.
Mamma Mia !
Christina Georgina
Wine guru

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:07 am

I like it mixed with mayo on sandwiches. Works particularly well with roast beef.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Return to The Forum Kitchen