Vision / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Vision / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:51 am

b"sd
Looking through a window of what was, is and could be, can be overwelming to say the least.So I close my eyes and then I hear the cries and laughter.
And still sleep eludes me.The skies seem foreboding and the earth is rumbling.Money has questionable value and governments seem up for grabs.
Where can can I go at these times unprecedented moments? Is there the strength within or perhaps an outside source?
Perhaps as long as we keep asking "how can it be" (eicha) even if the answer still eludes us we can still strive to be.
Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Vision / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Andrew B » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:19 pm

Some Gilgal Cabernet '07 and '10 Herzog Late Harvest Chenin. Maybe will try to finish off the '01 Piada that's been in the fridge for a few weeks!
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Stacey B » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Dalton D Shiraz 2007
Castel Rose 2011
Stacey B
Wine geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:20 pm

In honor of Tisha b'av nidche, I'll open some of what Yossie aptly calls "Moshiach wines." Here's hoping for yayin hameshumar!
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Jonathan K » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:00 pm

White will be 2009 Four Gates Chardonnay
Red- not sure, maybe a Prix Melange 03 or 04, might finally be ready.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Shawn Johnson » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Borgo Reale Maturo 2010.
Shawn Johnson
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:01 pm

2000 Riva Vecia Venegazzu cabernet
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Sam M » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:13 am

Shirah 2009 thompsons vineyard syrah. Very enjoyable
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:30 pm

May all who fast have a meaningful day.

On Shabbat had

2009 Capcanes Peraj Petita - just super solid and keeps getting better. I would put a few of these away for another 1-2 years.
2007 Tishbi Estate Cabernet Sauvignon - one of the better cab's in the $25 zone.. Again keeps getting better.
2010 Dalton D Merlot - The beginning of another solid value just below $20. Realy moving into a Israeli Merlot FANNNN!

Glenlivit 15
and some sparkling water with Pom Juice mixed in :)

Feel good, think good and do good.
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Isaac C » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:11 pm

Recanati Petite Sirah - Zinfandel 2009 - I did not like this wine - the mouth was unbalanced and too spicy. Shabbos day - Unibroue Trois Pistoles and Brooklyn Monster Ale 2010.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Z Spigelman » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Yarden Pinot Noir 2005 - Thanks Gabriel.
Dalton Rose 2011 - a fun wine but a little too sweet for me.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Pinchas L » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi Harry,

Flam Blanc 2010 - Its lightness of body and refreshing zing make it a perfect match for summer. The nose offers citrus and the mouthfeel delivers freshly mowed grass and dandelion. The blend of the '10 vintage is 67% Sauvignon Blanc and 33% Chardonnay, carrying a reasonable 12.5% AbV. What it lack in complexity is compensated by its freshness. B-/**

Four Gates Pinot Noir NV - Initially the alcohol stands out like a eyesore, throwing the wine off balance, showing unwanted bitterness. However, given a half hour in the glass the wine begins to shine, and the wine snaps into focus. Gone are lavender notes of old, replaced by those of dried flowers, that complement the fruity tones of sour cherry, and the cocoa flavors imparted by the oak. Add to the mix the spiked herbaceousness contributed by the alcohol, and the results are lovely. Stylistically, it is not how I prefer my Pinot, and the alcohol does get in the way at times, but the wine still has much to offer. 14.8% AbV, and it is a blend of fruit from the '07 and '08 vintages. $36 directly from the winery. B/**

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Last edited by Pinchas L on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Shavua Tov Harry, folks, posting a little later than usual due to the fast,

Friday night:

Carmel, Appellation, Petite Sirah 2007: I hesitated between this and my last bottle of the '05 as the latest seems to start going down the hill. Turns out that the same is apparently true for the 2007 as well. Very different than the '05. Dark purple, with on the nose violets and plums, full-bodied with on the palate red plums, blackberries and some meaty notes as well as licorice, integrated tannins on a medium-long finish. A bit more acidity would have been welcome and the wine clearly felt mature with maybe up to a year left at most (IMHO) before it falls off the cliff. I guess that I was expecting a bit more from this one as I truly love the 2005.

Shabbat lunch:

I wanted to do a little experience, wasn't really fair though (I'll explain later): Real French Bordeaux vs Israeli Bordeaux-Blend.

Domaine Ventura, Rubens 2009: A Bordeaux-blend of 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Franc and 6% Petit Verdot, 20 months in french oak barrels. Dark, almost impenetrable garnet, full-bodied with on the nose blackberries and milk chocolate, moving on the palate to blackcurrants, raspberries, cedar box, anise, milk chocolate, espresso and black pepper with good acidity and not fully-integrated tannins on a long finish. Elegant and complex, well done.

Chateau de L'Anglais, Cotes de Castillon, Bordeaux 2009 (not-mevushal): Took over an hour in the decanter to open up. Deep garnet towards ruby, medium-bodied with on the nose toasted oak and raspberries, followed on the palate by raspberries, red currants, toasted oak with volatile acidity and unbalanced tannins leading to an average finish. I didn't like this wine. The comparative tasting with the Ventura wasn't really fair also because this french wine is mostly a Merlot and has spent less time in the barrels. Exact percentages and oak-aging time are unknown to me.

A meaningful fast to those that are still fasting!

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Elie Poltorak » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:56 am

Castel Rose 2011: B/* A very pleasant, light-bodied, pale-colored rose with an exquisite nose floral bouquet on the nose, especially bursting with red roses, along with strawberries and peaches. Unfortunately, the wine doesn't live up to the promise in the nose, lacking a bit of brightness to balance the musty notes. A short clean finish. Very nice but not in the same league as the phenomenal Flam, while selling at roughly the same price.

Recanati Special Reserve White 2010: B+/* Perfectly balanced, medium bodied classic blend of chardonnay, viognier, and sauvignon blanc. Very well made but not terribly exciting--certainly doesn't justify its OUTRAGEOUS price. Then again, I suppose they can find 4199 other suckers who have to try everything once to buy up the 4200 bottles produced.

Tanya Har Bracha Halel Cabernet Franc 2006: A-/** A fabulous expression of this varietal in a slightly fruit-forward, full bodied new-world style, without overwhelming the green notes, all held up by firm tannins. I really enjoyed this wine with a London broil marinated in soy sauce and spices--the wine truly held its own. Throwing off heavy sediment and a distinctly vinegary smell upon opening, which luckily blew off after 15 minutes, so definitely drink up any you may have in the next few months.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Stephen Weil » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:32 am

Friday Night first a Sauvignon Blank 2009 from Yarden followed by Cab from Yarden, Single vineyard Jonathan 2007. What a treat
Shavua tov and see you guys in Jerusalem
Stephen Weil
Ultra geek

Postby Isaac Chavel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:44 am

Friday night: 2007 Four Gates Cabernet Franc. Lovely, delicious.
Shabbat lunch: Finished 2009 Livni Pinot Noir from previous week (stored in fridge). It held up; anyway, I wasn't looking for greatness. That is to be resumed this coming Shabbat.

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Jeff Adler » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:29 am

Herzog Special Reserve Russian River Chardonnay 2009
Psagot 2009 Merlot

Cheers

Jeff
Jeff Adler
Wine geek

Postby Alexander F » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:46 pm

Elie Poltorak wrote:classic blend of chardonnay, viognier, and sauvignon blanc.

Hi Elie,
What do you mean by classic? I haven't seen this blend in old world wines. But I was planning to become one of the suckers of the White SR, almost bought it, but switched to other wine eventually.
Alexander F
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Alexander F wrote:
Elie Poltorak wrote:classic blend of chardonnay, viognier, and sauvignon blanc.

Hi Elie,
What do you mean by classic? I haven't seen this blend in old world wines. But I was planning to become one of the suckers of the White SR, almost bought it, but switched to other wine eventually.

Hi Alexander,
I have no idea what's French whites because they typically don't tell you. By classic, I was referring more to the style and taste of the wine than the particular blend--just a good classic white, nothing exciting to get your juices flowing. I didn't really taste the viognier here--not the viscosity or expressive nose typical to the varietal--rather, it seemed like the sauvignon blanc was brightening up the chardonnay, and that's certainly a classic blend. I should've been clearer.
In any event, my advice would be to save your money for better QPR, but if you're like me, you won't take my advice and will insist on seeing and tasting for yourself... :wink:
P.S. a Google search reveals plenty of other wines with this blend.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi; Gush Etzion cab merlot 2006 . drinking very well past the Rogov TN.very enjoyable.h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Alexander F » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Elie Poltorak wrote:P.S. a Google search reveals plenty of other wines with this blend.

Seems like it's a new world blend. I tasted this wine at February and liked it. Taking into account the 170NIS price tag, I agree one can find better QPR.

This weekend I popped open an icewine brought by friends from Prague:

Neoklas, Augustiniansky Sklep, Tramin, Ledove 2008 - golden in color, with aromas of grape juice, apricot jam, spices and summer flowers. Medium body, very simple on the palate with some bitterness. 82 pts. Disappointment.
Alexander F
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:55 am

Update: tonight I finished the bottle I opened shabbos (couldn't finish sooner due to tisha b'av) and the tartness imparted by the SB had faded, letting the viognier take center stage, with expressive floral notes, making for a rounder wine. I like this wine a lot and I think it'll improve over the next couple years, but I still think the price is simply outrageous. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least a half-dozen whites in the $15-35 range that are as good or better:
1. The late great Dalton Wild Yeast Viognier
2. Yarden Katzrin Chardonnay (yes, I know it's over-oaked and unfashionable, but hey, I love it)
3. Yarden Odem Chardonnay
4. Yatir Sauvignon Blanc
5. Four Gates Chardonnay
6. Covenant Lavan Chardonnay
I have to admit that, try as a I might, I can't ignore price when scoring wine. If this were a $20 wine I'd enjoy it much more and perhaps even score it an A-, but at $60, I feel like a sucker with every sip--not very enjoyable.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:14 am

Hi Elie, while I rarely give scores, when I do I personally stick to the generally accepted way of not taking the price into account but I get your point of course. I actually tasted for the first time last night the new RSR white 2010, and while it was quite a good and very pleasant white wine, even better IMHO than the 2009 with more complexity than most israeli white wines, I think it is still way overpriced. Dalton were pouring their Alma white blend (Chardonnay-Viognier) 2011. A lot better than the 2010 which I didn't like that much, and it was I thought as good as the RSR although less than half the price. That said, as good as the Alma is this vintage, it still does not make up for the late Wild Yeast Viognier Reserve... :(

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Elie Poltorak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:17 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:Hi Elie, while I rarely give scores, when I do I personally stick to the generally accepted way of not taking the price into account but I get your point of course. I actually tasted for the first time last night the new RSR white 2010, and while it was quite a good and very pleasant white wine, even better IMHO than the 2009 with more complexity than most israeli white wines, I think it is still way overpriced. Dalton were pouring their Alma white blend (Chardonnay-Viognier) 2011. A lot better than the 2010 which I didn't like that much, and it was I thought as good as the RSR although less than half the price. That said, as good as the Alma is this vintage, it still does not make up for the late Wild Yeast Viognier Reserve... :(

Best,

GG

1. To clarify: I certainly try not to take price into account in my scoring--which is why I've eagerly adopted Pinchas's system to allow for a separate QPR rating--but I think it may subconsciously creep in despite my best efforts. After all, enjoyment is subjective, and when you feel you've been robbed, it is very difficult to enjoy the wine, as good as it may be. I think the only way to avoid it altogether would be to score blind--which for amateurs isn't practical except at a tasting.
2. I agree that the RSR is a very good wine, and at $25 or so, I would probably spring for a case.
3. I look forward to trying the 2010 Alma White. There are so few decent white blends in the kosher market. I too disliked the 2009, so I'm glad to hear the 2010 is better. As for the price, I don't know what the prices are in Israel, but here the Alma sells for about 1/4 of the RSR.
4. When you go to these festivals, if you meet anyone from Dalton, please convey everyone's deep disappointment in their decision to discontinue the viognier. :x Maybe if they keep hearing it, they'll get the message and bring it back!
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum