Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cheap Omakase Dining: Sushi Sei

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

Cheap Omakase Dining: Sushi Sei

by Noel Ermitano » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Around a month ago, fellow intrepid diner, Alicia Sy, recommended that I try out a new Japanese restaurant in BF Parañaque, named Sushi Sei, that specializes in omakase dining (i.e., the menu is left entirely up to the chef, based mainly on what is freshest and/or in season, counter-seating, each dish is prepared on-the-spot as the diners watch). Since Alicia left for vacation in NYC shortly thereafter, Cyrene de la Rosa took charge of organizing the dinner. Thus, on Saturday, the 14th July 2012, 10 of us gathered at said venue for whatever chef-owner, Seiju Ohnami, decided to serve us. Sei-san professes commitment to using mainly local ingredients, the best and freshest he can get on any given day.

325 Aguirre Avenue, BF Homes, Parañaque. Call 0905 5135226 for reservations.

The counter-top chiller filled with the night's ingredients.

Sei-san begins the slicing...

As Sanju diligently asks questions and takes notes on each dish.

As the finishing touches were put on the appetizer course, we enjoyed some charmingly lively, cooling Zipang Sparkling Saké from Sanju & Cutie Gopaldas. The kids are in the background, with Mauro and Paula checking out one of the bottles of Zipang while Nicole readies her iPhone's camera.

Soya-simmered Baby Smelt w/ Metaiko (cured cod roe flown in from Korea)...

...which we had with some bottles of chilled [img]"Nama"%20Saké[/img].

Maguro & Engawa Sashimi.

Omakase dining is marked by constant interaction with the chef.

Craft Beer Master Jim Araneta brought along 2 sakés by Kiuchi Brewery...

...one of which was Kiuchi Kikusakari Daiginjo (40% polished-down Yamada Nikishi rice). Very nice. I do hope Jim decides to distribute this one day - I will surely be a customer.

Maguro, Ika, Engawa, Flounder, and Maya-Maya Sashimi.

The youngsters: Paula, Mauro, & Nicole.

Grilling time.

Off comes the skin.

Finishing the...

...Slightly Seared Tanguingue w/ Ponzu Sauce & Spring Onions.

Alex Tiu, sensei of the infamous "Iki" Drinking Style (i.e., "bottoms-up" palagi), shared his bottle of Gekkeikan Kyo no Sui Junmai Daiginjo. Nice stuff! Subtle, yet firmly structured and complex.

Whole lotta slicing going on...

...amidst incessant paparazzi flashes.

With the sushi courses, we enjoyed glasses of my favorite Rogue Morimoto Imperial Pilsner courtesy of Sanju, Cutie & Cyrene. We drank the bottles down so quickly that Jim, the exclusive Philippine distributor of all beers Rogue, didn't even get any - sorry, Jim, it was just too good! This was Tai (Snapper) Nigiri w/ Bonito Innards Sauce.

Hirame (Flounder) Nigiri w/ Seaweed Sheet & Molasses-based Sauce

Tachi-Uo (Espada) Nigiri w/ Unagi-based Sauce

Maguro Zuke

Wagyu Nigiri

Of course, we also had bottles of Hitachino Nest White Ale courtesy of Jim, the bottles of which I forgot to photograph (but not partake of). We then moved on to The Appenzeller in Alabang for more drinks and heavier grub. The above meal was a mere P1500/person (appx. US$34/person) cash only (so far), representing remarkably good value for money for this type of dining and the dishes served. The corkage charged is very reasonable too. It's pretty easy to recommend this place. Until the next!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Cheap Omakase Dining: Sushi Sei

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:00 am

Wow - great price for a meal like that!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:07 am

Wow, looks great!
What fish is engawa?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:26 am

Engawa - The muscle that controls the fin on halibut or the meat surrounding the muscle in a scallop.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:11 am

What a fun night out, and how reasonable. I laughed at the picture of Mauro and the two cute girls--he doesn't usually get relegated to the "kiddie table" but looks like this was the right night for it!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

by Noel Ermitano » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:39 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Wow - great price for a meal like that!

Definitely a good deal!

Dale Williams wrote:Wow, looks great!
What fish is engawa?

Rahsaan wrote:From: http://www.sushiisland.us/sushi-terms.htm

Engawa - The muscle that controls the fin on halibut or the meat surrounding the muscle in a scallop.

Rahsaan is correct. We had the fin muscle.

Jenise wrote:What a fun night out, and how reasonable. I laughed at the picture of Mauro and the two cute girls--he doesn't usually get relegated to the "kiddie table" but looks like this was the right night for it!

Ha ha you're right there, Jenise. Nicole (in the tank top) is Mauro's elder 1st cousin; and Paula (in yellow) is Mauro's "special friend".

Best to all,

N