Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A Play On Words

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

A Play On Words

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Say you are invited to a family function in another town, about 6 hours travel time. All but one family member will be coming form several states, traveling by car and a few RV's. You are told that between 6 and 9 PM on the day you arrive, there will be a potluck and are asked to bring "snacks". How would you interpret "snacks" ?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: A Play On Words

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:57 pm

It depends on the family!

Personally, given the details of my family, I would intepret it as cause to eat first and bring my own meal. But that's another story :wink:
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Hors d'oeuvre?
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Say you are invited to a family function in another town, about 6 hours travel time.

If it were my family, I'd stay home. :P

And, let me add that everyone wins when that happens.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:39 pm

I would say snacks would be interpreted as any non-dessert finger food, such as veggies & dip, chips & salsa, cheese & sausage & crackers, etc.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:33 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I would say snacks would be interpreted as any non-dessert finger food, such as veggies & dip, chips & salsa, cheese & sausage & crackers, etc.

Exactly what I thought Howie. So I decided on a "snack", bought the ingredients and then I find out today, the hostess meant, "dessert" saying she uses the two words, snack and dessert interchangeably. OK, since my husband, our son and his son are going, I had to regroup and come up with a dessert. Decided this time to use what I had at home and came up with chocolate, toffee crunch bars topped with toasted pecans and pistachios. The idea of having a dessert potluck on the day of arrival stumped me, since, as I said most folks are coming in from out of state. Which means they either have to bring a dessert (maybe hard to do in a car) or go to the store and get some store bought thing. Being a foodie, this would be out of the question for me. How do you all feel about this?
I suppose sometimes we just have to rock and roll with what is dealt!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Say you are invited to a family function in another town, about 6 hours travel time.

If it were my family, I'd stay home. :P

And, let me add that everyone wins when that happens.

Yea, well, not happening here. This lady has been very gracious over the years and had large family reunions. It is a job getting it done, but she has and everyone appreciates it, and we always have a lot show up and have a great time. The next day is a catered picnic at a local park. We all kicked in for the food and it promises to be fun. :)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:the hostess meant, "dessert" saying she uses the two words, snack and dessert interchangeably.

I think I'll start using the word "salad" and "beverage" interchangeably. :)
Sounds like you reacted and recovered well, you deserve kudos!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:08 am

Wow - I've never heard of using "snacks" as a synonym for dessert. Nice job on pulling it together, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:17 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Wow - I've never heard of using "snacks" as a synonym for dessert. Nice job on pulling it together, though.

Well an email went out last night to all the family attending, so hopefully they all read it before they hit the road. She is now saying a "dessert buffet". My chocolate toffee bars are made, cut, wrapped and loaded into the RV fridge!
Done!!! All is well!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:12 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:[...and then I find out today, the hostess meant, "dessert" saying she uses the two words, snack and dessert interchangeably.

I'd say I'll take care of it then not show up. I use "I'll take care of it." and "Not Showing Up" interchangeably.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:[...and then I find out today, the hostess meant, "dessert" saying she uses the two words, snack and dessert interchangeably.

I'd say I'll take care of it then not show up. I use "I'll take care of it." and "Not Showing Up" interchangeably.

Surly you jest....
That would put me in the same category as the hostess, then. Naw...not going to happen. I'm sure she meant well :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:38 pm

Talking about potlucks, I went to one on Saturday over on Salt Spring Island. Everybody got there by boat or RV and everyone was staying the weekend, so none of us had our usual kitchens but had at least some rudimentary equipment. The island has an amazing Saturday Market and just about everything's in season over there, including heirloom tomatoes. Everybody was supposed to bring a dish based on ingredients procured at the Saturday market. The dinner was supposed to be at 6:00. We showed up at 6:12. Most of the food was already gone. Most of what was left were things like canned mixed nuts. Now I realize not everybody enjoys cooking, BUT COME ON.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:30 pm

Jenise wrote:Talking about potlucks, I went to one on Saturday over on Salt Spring Island. Everybody got there by boat or RV and everyone was staying the weekend, so none of us had our usual kitchens but had at least some rudimentary equipment. The island has an amazing Saturday Market and just about everything's in season over there, including heirloom tomatoes. Everybody was supposed to bring a dish based on ingredients procured at the Saturday market. The dinner was supposed to be at 6:00. We showed up at 6:12. Most of the food was already gone. Most of what was left were things like canned mixed nuts. Now I realize not everybody enjoys cooking, BUT COME ON.

So there was a stated theme of "stuff procured at the market", there was a great local market, and the food only lasted 12 minutes? Wow. So much wasted potential.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 am

Just another reason I despise pot lucks. Way too much room for interpretation.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:18 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Jenise wrote:Talking about potlucks, I went to one on Saturday over on Salt Spring Island. Everybody got there by boat or RV and everyone was staying the weekend, so none of us had our usual kitchens but had at least some rudimentary equipment. The island has an amazing Saturday Market and just about everything's in season over there, including heirloom tomatoes. Everybody was supposed to bring a dish based on ingredients procured at the Saturday market. The dinner was supposed to be at 6:00. We showed up at 6:12. Most of the food was already gone. Most of what was left were things like canned mixed nuts. Now I realize not everybody enjoys cooking, BUT COME ON.

So there was a stated theme of "stuff procured at the market", there was a great local market, and the food only lasted 12 minutes? Wow. So much wasted potential.

Exactly--and apparently, no 'cocktail hour', or even breathing space of about ten minutes. If you didn't get there at 6 straight up, you were screwed. Add to that, that "the stuff" they brought was pretty disappointing. Even those who weren't up to cooking could have picked up amazing artisinal breads, cheeses, pastas, and sweets, and piles of perfect cherry tomatoes. Also, little restaurants lined the market square that sold sushi, Indian noodles, pizza and other cool stuff that would have made great offerings. I made a salad out of lime green and purple bell pepper strips, snow peas and sliced cranberry fingerling potatoes marinated all afternoon in a sun dried tomato vinaigrette with sliced portugese red garlic, and then tossed just before taking with a big handful of beet thinnings (whole baby beet plants, about 4-5" tall) and fresh basil. I bought everything at the market--would kill for a regular source of beet thinnings here at home!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:24 am

Carrie L. wrote:Just another reason I despise pot lucks. Way too much room for interpretation.

And perhaps, way too much room for under-delivery. I don't get the conscience of the kind of person who brings a little paper bowl of canned mixed nuts just to essentially get in the door, and then helps him- or herself to other people's generosity of time, money and effort. And when there's a theme, I don't think you have the right to just ignore it. Play fair or don't show up. Wish I'd been there at 6:00 straight up to glare at the underperformers.

:)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:51 am

Jenise, those guys are the same people that bring a cheap bottle of crappy wine, stick it on the table and grab for a much better bottle someone else brought, which they up-end over their large wine glass. I call them 'people that will never be invited again no matter who they are related to'.

To the OP, Karen - you pulled that off well in the face of some pretty misleading wording by the invitors. Try inviting them over some time for cocktails and BYO 'snacks' and then call them an hour before and say that you just thought you should clarify so there wouldn't be any misunderstanding, that by 'snacks' you always mean 'caviar'...... :twisted:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Hopefully this person never asks for "finger food."
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:36 pm

Well, I have to tell you how the so called "dessert, alias "snack" party went. Our very observing older son, and his 15 year old son, accompanied my husband to the family reunion. I stayed home, but that is off topic. I told you I had made a chocolate and toffee thing with toasted pecans and pistachio nuts on top. I made two 9x13 pans, and cut the bars into a little bigger than bite size pieces, because this is a very rich dish. I sent them up on a pretty plate, piled high, and wrapped with a cloth napkin. I attached an ingredients list just in case anyone had allergies.
Our son noticed that mine was the only home made contribution (as I expected because everyone came from far away) and he also said he heard many compliments given to my husband. There was some left at the end of the party. He also noticed that all the desserts were brought to the park the next day for a catered picnic, except mine. The hostess had kept them for her family to enjoy! That is OK, she worked hard to put this on. :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:24 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Our son noticed that mine was the only home made contribution (as I expected because everyone came from far away) and he also said he heard many compliments given to my husband. There was some left at the end of the party. He also noticed that all the desserts were brought to the park the next day for a catered picnic, except mine. The hostess had kept them for her family to enjoy! That is OK, she worked hard to put this on. :D

The latter's certainly a compliment, and any one of us would smartly have done the same thing. That's not selfish, just common sense! However, a good cook can always manage something in adverse circumstances for a potluck, even when travelling from a distance--I've done it many times. One just has to want to.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Jenise wrote:
The latter's certainly a compliment, and any one of us would smartly have done the same thing. That's not selfish, just common sense! However, a good cook can always manage something in adverse circumstances for a potluck, even when traveling from a distance--I've done it many times. One just has to want to.

Oh, you are so right Jenise. We went, by car, from Redding to Long Beach OR for a family reunion several years ago. I took a lot of food in our Koolatron. My cousin, John was to be there with his family. He is a trained chef and worked for a period of time for Blair House on Pennsylvania Avenue. You can bet I wanted to impress him. As you said, "one just has to want to." I did, :D and it all turned out very well. My dear cousin impressed all of us with his cooking, and especially a fresh salmon done on a charcoal grill right on the water's edge. :D