Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cheap cherries

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cheap cherries

by Jenise » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:50 am

What a great year for us cherry addicts! I've NEVER seen cherries this cheap. $2 lb at most of the stores hereabouts and Fred Meyer's advertising $1.48.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Cheap cherries

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Wow. I love cherries.

One of the big jokes in our family is that the first summer I was with my wife (then girlfriend) we visited her parents and ate all the cherries from their cherry tree. Which got me hooked on the relationship! But since then the tree has never yielded much fruit or at least the birds eat them all before we visit!

Price-wise, around here they were pushing $9lb early in the season, but then got down to $4lb (at least in the supermarkets where I shop, I know one can find them cheaper, but of course quality is an issue and I'm guessing you wouldn't like the cherries that can be found for $2lb around here). They were closer to $8lb in my farmer's market but the farm only had them for two weeks.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:47 am

Rainier cherries were $2.99lb this morning at our ShopRite store. Cheapest I've seen.

Drew
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:15 am

Bings were $3.99/lb and Rainiers $4.99/lb yesterday at Reasors. I passed on them this week. They never get as low as $2.00/lb around here.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:54 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:Bings were $3.99/lb and Rainiers $4.99/lb yesterday at Reasors. I passed on them this week. They never get as low as $2.00/lb around here.

Washington is a cherry-growing state so it makes sense that we'd see them a little cheaper; however, what makes sense doesn't always happen. At any rate, the heat wave (it almost got to 80 F :) ) of the last week or so might cause an explosion of them in the marketplace in the next week as the crop was so large and so many got ripe at once. I know that's why we're seeing the prices here that we are.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:12 am

Apparently that doesn't apply to sour cherries, though. There's been a 50% crop loss in Wisconsin. Trail mix makers are planning to substitute cranberries because sour cherry prices are too high.

-Paul W.