Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Short ribs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Short ribs

by Jon Peterson » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:35 am

Does anyone have rcp (or a link to one) for a good, wine based short rib dish?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Short ribs

by Jenise » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Jon, this recipe is very Provencal. It was originally written for red wine, but especially in summer I would prefer white wine to the visually heavier red wine in this dish, and serve it over a flat noodle like tagliatelle tossed with olive oil and parsley.

Braised Short Ribs

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
5 pounds short ribs (not cross-cut flanken)
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 medium red onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 celery rib, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons herbs d'Provence + 1 teaspoon reserved for later
2 cups dry white wine
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (15-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes in juice
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup (3 1/2 ounces) canned green olives (not out of a jar, no vinegar)
1 navel orange

Preparation

Heat oven to 350°F with rack in lower third.

Stir together flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Pat ribs dry and lightly dredge in flour mixture, knocking off excess.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wide 6- to 8-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Brown ribs in 3 batches, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer as browned to a platter. Discard fat from pot.

Cook onions, carrots, and celery in remaining 2 tablespoons oil with 1/2 teaspoon salt over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until just softened and beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.

Add garlic and herbs and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is softened and fragrant, 2 minutes.

Add wine and boil until reduced by half, about 8 minutes, then stir in broth, tomatoes with juice, and vinegar and bring to a simmer.

Return ribs to pot. Cover with the lid, then place in oven, and braise until ribs are fork-tender, 3 to 3 1/4 hours.

Transfer ribs with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Let cooking liquid stand briefly, then skim fat from top. Stir in olives and reserved herbs d'Provence. Reduce further to taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary.

Return meat to pot. Grate zest from orange over top just before serving.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:29 pm

Jenise, thank you. You always manage to come through. I will prepare this dish to tomorrow since most of the family will be home for dinner.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:31 am

Glad to help. Enjoy!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:28 pm

Jenise, what wine would you serve this with: red or white? I can see reasons for both even a dry rose.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:21 pm

What's the weather like? :)

IOW, the white wine in the dish does not make it a white wine dish; most dry wines will go reasonably well with the dish, and your To Avoid list would be more aptly based on residual sugar, not color. Young shirazes and new world chardonnays would be rather icky, I think. The best wine is going to be one that is refreshing to drink on a hot day, and a cool white or rose might in fact be just the ticket for making that winter cut of beef feel like a perfect summer meal. Something fun to do when you have a crowd to support the number of bottles is to put several options on the table side by side, and instigate a table topic about who likes which better and why. Not that you and your kids ever lack for things to talk about. :)
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Cru Beaujolais.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:21 pm

Ok. Thanks again for your time.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:56 pm

I ended up going with a wine from Fronsac: Ch. Arnuaton, 2009. 98 percent merlot, 2 percent cab franc. After an hour or so decant, silky tannins and lots of fruit and a little spice and pepper. Went very well with the herbs in the short rib dish.