Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Rice Cooker

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Rice Cooker

by Shaji M » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:51 pm

So our new puppy decided that if she is not allowed access to footwear, she will devote her attention to other needful things in the house. Thats why when we came home yesterday and found the power cord of our trusty simple Aroma rice cooker all chewed up. We eat fair amount of rice- white and brown, probably more of the latter. Hunting for another unit yielded incredible choices - Zojirushi, Tiger, Aroma etc..Does anyone hae any recent experiences with rice cookers?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Rice Cooker

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:05 pm

I have a Zojirushi Neuro Fuzzy Logic Cooker/Warmer, and like it very much. It cooks much more than just rice, which fits into my requirements of a higher priced food appliance. The directions are confusing, so I bought The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann. It has recipes for pilafs, risotto, polenta, chilie, Soups, porridges, puddings and more. Two of my faves so far are Orange rice pilaf and a butternut squash risotto. It even steams salmon, makes salsa, dim sum, and more.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:41 pm

We use a 1 1/2 qt stainless steel sauce pan with a lid.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

by Shaji M » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Karen,
one model of the Zojirushi claimed to make germinated brown rice. Have you or anyone tried this?
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

by Shaji M » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:05 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:We use a 1 1/2 qt stainless steel sauce pan with a lid.

:P
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:57 pm

If all that is wrong with the old one is the power cord, you should be able to replace it quite easily. Many hardware-type stores carry such things. Replacement is usually no more than a couple of screws.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:45 am

Carl Eppig wrote:We use a 1 1/2 qt stainless steel sauce pan with a lid.

Well damn, Carl, there's no fun in that!
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

by Shaji M » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:21 am

Howie,
That thought has occurred to me. The current cooker is a moulded plastic thing with absolutely no screws visible. I intend to call Aroma and see if they have any ideas on it.
-Shaji
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:24 am

We have two Aroma rice cookers and enjoy them very much when keeping rice warm after cooking is necessary. Most of the time, however, we use the old fashion method Carl mentioned: a sauce pan with a lid.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:39 am

Often manufacturers will hide the screws under a sticker. Sometimes a plastic clip can be pried apart nead a seam between two of the pieces. Have you looked here: http://www.aroma-housewares.com/kitchen/appliances/replacement-parts.html?line=Rice%20Cookers
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

by Shaji M » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:40 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Often manufacturers will hide the screws under a sticker. Sometimes a plastic clip can be pried apart nead a seam between two of the pieces. Have you looked here: http://www.aroma-housewares.com/kitchen/appliances/replacement-parts.html?line=Rice%20Cookers

Thanks Howie. I called Aroma and apparently the power cord is not removable :(
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:14 am

Shaji M wrote:Thanks Howie. I called Aroma and apparently the power cord is not removable :(

Can you simply cut it off above the damaged part and splice in a new plug?
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:34 am

Robin Garr wrote:Can you simply cut it off above the damaged part and splice in a new plug?

The splice point can be ugly but that will work. Use the correct gauge wire.
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:54 am

We use: http://www.zojirushi.com/products/nspc

It simple, quick, works fine for rice and brown rice. We have not used it for anything else. It does leave a small film of somethingorother (water and starch) when cooking Japanese sushi rice. Apart from that no complains.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

by Shaji M » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:34 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Can you simply cut it off above the damaged part and splice in a new plug?

I am assuming you all are honorable folks and not trying to put me in harms way! But I will that a shot in a few weeks (waiting for a fractured arm to heal).
Zojirushi's look really good, but they are expensive. Aromas are cheaper ($ 30 at costco).
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:38 pm

Shaji M wrote:
Jon Peterson wrote:

I am assuming you all are honorable folks and not trying to put me in harms way! But I will that a shot in a few weeks (waiting for a fractured arm to heal).
Zojirushi's look really good, but they are expensive. Aromas are cheaper ($ 30 at costco).

Yikes - a broken arm?? Hope it's not hurting too much and that it heals up quickly!

As for the cookers, I would factor in how often you make rice. A Zojirushi would be overkill for us - we use our ancient, crappy rice cooker about twice a month. I have some Japanese friends, though, who use theirs nearly daily. I think they sprung for a top-of-the-line Zojirushi and have had no complaints.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

by alex metags » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:10 pm

I think it's worth it to invest in a better model, though as Mike says, it depends on how often you use a rice cooker. We've had this Sanyo model since 2006, and use it 4-5 times a week. A bit pricier but very reliable and we like the timer function http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-ECJ-F50S-Mi ... B000E5EDMM

Before this, we had a Zojirushi which we were also very happy with. We passed it on to a relative, and like the Sanyo it's still going on strong after years of extended use.