Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do shrimp and crawfish mix?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Do shrimp and crawfish mix?

by Covert » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:53 pm

Last night at camp Lynn made a simple Cajun kind of thing with chopped onions, green onions, garlic, fresh corn, paprika, red and black pepper, thyme and lastly shrimp sautéed in butter and then spooned over mashed potatoes with gouda cheese mixed in. We drank 2003 Gloria with it, which paired well with regard to both elements being a little hot. The combo provided a wonderful, comfortable feel which I could get used to. The recipe calls for crawfish, which weren’t available at the moment. I suggested that we mix crawfish and shrimp next time, but Lynn thought shrimp and crawfish wouldn’t go well together. I would think a lot of recipes call for that combination, especially in the South, don’t they?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Do shrimp and crawfish mix?

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:17 pm

Cajun Shimp and Crayfish Pasta Recipes:

http://www.yummly.com/recipes/cajun-shr ... g_f,site_s)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:46 pm

Interesting question. I've never mixed shellfishes but then perhaps that's only because I've never had a surplus or lived in a place with such an abundance that I would think of doing so. Thinking out loud, though, shrimp are sweet and briney where crawfish are less sweet and rather earthier. I would expect the presence of crawfish to have no material effect on the shrimp but would worry about the other way around, that after having taken a bite of the sweeter shrimp the crawfish taken next would just taste muddy.

On the other hand I believe in the South they do sometimes mix shellfish in gumbos, which would be a good precedent, but I could be wrong about that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:30 pm

Seems like it ought to work out fine to me, but I've never had a dish with both in it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:49 pm

Jenise wrote:Interesting question. I've never mixed shellfishes.

It's as common as night and day around these parts Jenise. A typical seafood restaurant will offer fried, broiled, or baked scallops, shrimp, clams, lobster, or mussels either alone or in any combination. The plum on most menus is "Seafood Platter."
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:45 pm

I made crawfish etoufee a couple of weeks ago. My mother had some frozen shrimp that she wanted to include. We cooked them both together and it seemed perfectly fine to me, but I picked over the shrimp ( I don't like shrimp), while my mother ate them both.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:43 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:
Jenise wrote:Interesting question. I've never mixed shellfishes.

It's as common as night and day around these parts Jenise. A typical seafood restaurant will offer fried, broiled, or baked scallops, shrimp, clams, lobster, or mussels either alone or in any combination. The plum on most menus is "Seafood Platter."

Oh, I know the platters--love that! But I think Covert was wanting to put both meats in a single stir-fry, which is a different proposition.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov