What is your favorite fish to eat?

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Re: What is your favorite fish to eat?

Postby Ron C » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Brook trout, gutted and stuffed with green onion then grilled.

Otherwise, I'm perfectly content with grilled salmon. :mrgreen:
Ron C
Wine guru
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:17 pm

Re: What is your favorite fish to eat?

Postby Mark Lipton » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:20 am

Carrie L. wrote:I made the Wild King Salmon last night and have to say it was delicious. Apparently I have never had that variety of wild salmon before. This had a nice moist texture and mild salmon flavor. The wild salmon I've had in the past has been darker red and a strange dry texture. I believe in some cases it was Coho. In other cases it was simply presented as "wild." So I'm a believer now that I can certainly enjoy wild salmon. Thank you for helping enlighten me!


If it had a dark red color, it was probably Sockeye, Carrie. To me, it has a meatier flavor and texture, but not quite the richness of King.

Mark Liptob
User avatar
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist
 
Posts: 4318
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: What is your favorite fish to eat?

Postby MikeH » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:I made the Wild King Salmon last night and have to say it was delicious. Apparently I have never had that variety of wild salmon before. This had a nice moist texture and mild salmon flavor. The wild salmon I've had in the past has been darker red and a strange dry texture. I believe in some cases it was Coho. In other cases it was simply presented as "wild." So I'm a believer now that I can certainly enjoy wild salmon. Thank you for helping enlighten me!


If it had a dark red color, it was probably Sockeye, Carrie. To me, it has a meatier flavor and texture, but not quite the richness of King.

Mark Liptob


In my experience, both sockeye and Coho filets are usually thinner than King filets in addition to the deeper color.
Cheers!
Mike
User avatar
MikeH
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1164
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:07 am
Location: Cincinnati

Re: What is your favorite fish to eat?

Postby Jenise » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Carrie L. wrote:I made the Wild King Salmon last night and have to say it was delicious. Apparently I have never had that variety of wild salmon before. This had a nice moist texture and mild salmon flavor. The wild salmon I've had in the past has been darker red and a strange dry texture. I believe in some cases it was Coho. In other cases it was simply presented as "wild." So I'm a believer now that I can certainly enjoy wild salmon. Thank you for helping enlighten me!


Fresh (with salmon the fresher, the milder) and properly prepared Coho would not have been dry, but sockeye certainly would if it had been overcooked or prepared from frozen.

Anyway, I'm so glad this worked out for you!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26199
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What is your favorite fish to eat?

Postby Jenise » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:45 pm

MikeH wrote:In my experience, both sockeye and Coho filets are usually thinner than King filets in addition to the deeper color.


The color depends on the diet, Mike. Coho and king caught in my local waters are the same color. But Sockeye is always darker.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26199
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What is your favorite fish to eat?

Postby John Treder » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:22 pm

I had fresh king salmon for supper an hour ago. It was on special at Santa Rosa Seafood for $14.99/lb - basically 1/3 off the usual price.
And for the first time, I grilled it over mesquite charcoal.
With green salad and corn on the cob, it was deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelish!!!!!!!

John
John in the wine county
John Treder
Zinaholic
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Re: What is your favorite fish to eat?

Postby Matilda L » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:21 am

Salmon, or King George Whiting.
User avatar
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood
 
Posts: 1336
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: What is your favorite fish to eat?

Postby Mark Lipton » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:58 am

John Treder wrote:I had fresh king salmon for supper an hour ago. It was on special at Santa Rosa Seafood for $14.99/lb - basically 1/3 off the usual price.
And for the first time, I grilled it over mesquite charcoal.
With green salad and corn on the cob, it was deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelish!!!!!!!


Just a quibble, John, but I prefer a more subtle wood to mesquite when I smoke or grill salmon. I find that mesquite and hickory just overpower the flavor of the fish, whereas cherry or apple wood (or alder) adds a smoky element without obscuring the flavor of the fish.

Mark Lipton
User avatar
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist
 
Posts: 4318
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: What is your favorite fish to eat?

Postby Shaji M » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:32 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
John Treder wrote:I had fresh king salmon for supper an hour ago. It was on special at Santa Rosa Seafood for $14.99/lb - basically 1/3 off the usual price.
And for the first time, I grilled it over mesquite charcoal.
With green salad and corn on the cob, it was deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelish!!!!!!!


Just a quibble, John, but I prefer a more subtle wood to mesquite when I smoke or grill salmon. I find that mesquite and hickory just overpower the flavor of the fish, whereas cherry or apple wood (or alder) adds a smoky element without obscuring the flavor of the fish.

Mark Lipton


Cedar makes a great choice!
Shaji M
Wine guru
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:24 pm

Re: What is your favorite fish to eat?

Postby Carl Eppig » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:30 pm

Mark Lipton wrote: I find that mesquite and hickory just overpower the flavor of the fish, whereas cherry or apple wood (or alder) adds a smoky element without obscuring the flavor of the fish. Mark Lipton



Agree Mark; we grilled a sockeye salmon fillet with cherry chips last Friday and it worked fine. We use apple for chicken and turkey, hickory for pork, mesquite for beef, and pecan for lamb.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man
 
Posts: 3993
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm
Location: Middleton, NH, USA

Re: What is your favorite fish to eat?

Postby Jim Grow » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Bluegill without a doubt, partly because they are so much fun to catch, they are free out of my pond and it doesn't get any fresher than that. Yellow perch are a close second and wild coho or chinook smoked are hard to beat.
Jim Grow
Wine guru
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Rockbridge Ohio

Re: What is your favorite fish to eat?

Postby Karen/NoCA » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:26 pm

Jim Grow wrote:Bluegill without a doubt, partly because they are so much fun to catch, they are free out of my pond and it doesn't get any fresher than that. Yellow perch are a close second and wild coho or chinook smoked are hard to beat.

I've never had Blue Gill Jim, is it a white fish? Lucky you to have a pond with Blue Gill. Do you stock it or do they take care of that on their own?
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: What is your favorite fish to eat?

Postby Mark Lipton » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:41 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Jim Grow wrote:Bluegill without a doubt, partly because they are so much fun to catch, they are free out of my pond and it doesn't get any fresher than that. Yellow perch are a close second and wild coho or chinook smoked are hard to beat.

I've never had Blue Gill Jim, is it a white fish? Lucky you to have a pond with Blue Gill. Do you stock it or do they take care of that on their own?


In my youth, I caught bluegill in Lake Berryessa (well, Putah Creek, actually, near where it enters the lake) and ate them for breakfast and lunch. White meat, kind of like trout or bass. Easy to catch, too: a bit of red cloth affixed to the hook would do.

Mark Lipton
User avatar
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist
 
Posts: 4318
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: What is your favorite fish to eat?

Postby Dale Williams » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Love bluegills, though haven't had in several years. Karen, they are also known as bream, one of the most common fish in the Southeast where I grew up. Tend to be smaller than bass, similar to crappy, 1 lb is probably a big one. Great delicate white freshwater taste.
User avatar
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Previous

Return to The Forum Kitchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests