Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What is your favorite fish to eat?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

Re: What is your favorite fish to eat?

by Ron C » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Brook trout, gutted and stuffed with green onion then grilled.

Otherwise, I'm perfectly content with grilled salmon. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:20 pm

Carrie L. wrote:I made the Wild King Salmon last night and have to say it was delicious. Apparently I have never had that variety of wild salmon before. This had a nice moist texture and mild salmon flavor. The wild salmon I've had in the past has been darker red and a strange dry texture. I believe in some cases it was Coho. In other cases it was simply presented as "wild." So I'm a believer now that I can certainly enjoy wild salmon. Thank you for helping enlighten me!

If it had a dark red color, it was probably Sockeye, Carrie. To me, it has a meatier flavor and texture, but not quite the richness of King.

Mark Liptob
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:52 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:I made the Wild King Salmon last night and have to say it was delicious. Apparently I have never had that variety of wild salmon before. This had a nice moist texture and mild salmon flavor. The wild salmon I've had in the past has been darker red and a strange dry texture. I believe in some cases it was Coho. In other cases it was simply presented as "wild." So I'm a believer now that I can certainly enjoy wild salmon. Thank you for helping enlighten me!

If it had a dark red color, it was probably Sockeye, Carrie. To me, it has a meatier flavor and texture, but not quite the richness of King.

Mark Liptob

In my experience, both sockeye and Coho filets are usually thinner than King filets in addition to the deeper color.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Fresh (with salmon the fresher, the milder) and properly prepared Coho would not have been dry, but sockeye certainly would if it had been overcooked or prepared from frozen.

Anyway, I'm so glad this worked out for you!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:45 pm

MikeH wrote:In my experience, both sockeye and Coho filets are usually thinner than King filets in addition to the deeper color.

The color depends on the diet, Mike. Coho and king caught in my local waters are the same color. But Sockeye is always darker.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:22 pm

I had fresh king salmon for supper an hour ago. It was on special at Santa Rosa Seafood for $14.99/lb - basically 1/3 off the usual price.
And for the first time, I grilled it over mesquite charcoal.
With green salad and corn on the cob, it was deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelish!!!!!!!

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:21 am

Salmon, or King George Whiting.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:58 pm

John Treder wrote:I had fresh king salmon for supper an hour ago. It was on special at Santa Rosa Seafood for $14.99/lb - basically 1/3 off the usual price.

Just a quibble, John, but I prefer a more subtle wood to mesquite when I smoke or grill salmon. I find that mesquite and hickory just overpower the flavor of the fish, whereas cherry or apple wood (or alder) adds a smoky element without obscuring the flavor of the fish.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:32 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
John Treder wrote:I had fresh king salmon for supper an hour ago. It was on special at Santa Rosa Seafood for $14.99/lb - basically 1/3 off the usual price.

Just a quibble, John, but I prefer a more subtle wood to mesquite when I smoke or grill salmon. I find that mesquite and hickory just overpower the flavor of the fish, whereas cherry or apple wood (or alder) adds a smoky element without obscuring the flavor of the fish.

Mark Lipton

Cedar makes a great choice!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Mark Lipton wrote: I find that mesquite and hickory just overpower the flavor of the fish, whereas cherry or apple wood (or alder) adds a smoky element without obscuring the flavor of the fish. Mark Lipton

Agree Mark; we grilled a sockeye salmon fillet with cherry chips last Friday and it worked fine. We use apple for chicken and turkey, hickory for pork, mesquite for beef, and pecan for lamb.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Bluegill without a doubt, partly because they are so much fun to catch, they are free out of my pond and it doesn't get any fresher than that. Yellow perch are a close second and wild coho or chinook smoked are hard to beat.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Jim Grow wrote:Bluegill without a doubt, partly because they are so much fun to catch, they are free out of my pond and it doesn't get any fresher than that. Yellow perch are a close second and wild coho or chinook smoked are hard to beat.

I've never had Blue Gill Jim, is it a white fish? Lucky you to have a pond with Blue Gill. Do you stock it or do they take care of that on their own?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:41 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Jim Grow wrote:Bluegill without a doubt, partly because they are so much fun to catch, they are free out of my pond and it doesn't get any fresher than that. Yellow perch are a close second and wild coho or chinook smoked are hard to beat.

I've never had Blue Gill Jim, is it a white fish? Lucky you to have a pond with Blue Gill. Do you stock it or do they take care of that on their own?

In my youth, I caught bluegill in Lake Berryessa (well, Putah Creek, actually, near where it enters the lake) and ate them for breakfast and lunch. White meat, kind of like trout or bass. Easy to catch, too: a bit of red cloth affixed to the hook would do.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:51 pm

Love bluegills, though haven't had in several years. Karen, they are also known as bream, one of the most common fish in the Southeast where I grew up. Tend to be smaller than bass, similar to crappy, 1 lb is probably a big one. Great delicate white freshwater taste.
Previous