Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cost of beef going down?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cost of beef going down?

by Jenise » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:20 pm

I bought the most beautiful dinner plate size 1.5 lb portherhouse steaks the other day--the deluxe section with the thickest part of the filet attached and almost no bone--Black Angus choice, for $7.99/lb. These weren't on sale, it's just the current price. In August, the same steak would have cost me $12.99/lb or so. If I'm not mistaken, beef prices were especially attractive about this time of year last year, too.

I bought four and wrapped them individually for the freezer. That's four meals--one will feed both of us easily.

But I don't remember any such phenomena in L.A. Maybe it's logical on a regional basis? Here at latitude 49, colder weather certainly means less barbecuing, and over the holidays the competition from the poultry department for what is considered a luxury meat might simply drive prices down.

What's happening to beef prices where you live?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Cost of beef going down?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:26 pm

We have a great butcher counter in the general store in the small village in which I live (just outside Santa Fe).

When I popped in over the weekend, the prices were about the same as they have been for months. $9.99/lb for gorgeous ribeyes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:24 pm

Would that be the Tesuque Village Market?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:07 pm

Jenise wrote:Would that be the Tesuque Village Market?

No, they don't have a butcher counter. But they do have awesome baked goods and take-out!

They have recently been purchased (Jerry retired this past summer) and are undergoing some renovations and menu changes. They are the restaurant closest to my workplace, so we pop in there quite frequently.

Are you familiar with Santa Fe? This is not the kind of place one merely pulls out of the air! :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:15 pm

I've been to Santa Fe a few times, and I once had breakfast at the Market after hearing about it for many moons from a friend who lived nearby. I even had plans to buy property in Taos. It's a special place.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:25 am

Jenise wrote:It's a special place.

I like it here quite well. I especially love the nearly endless winter sunshine after spending my childhood (and much of my adult life) in the gloom of western New York state!

I live on the east side of the Sangres on the edge of the Pecos Wilderness, but work on 700 acres over here on the mountain above Santa Fe/Tesuque.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:31 pm

Jenise wrote:What's happening to beef prices where you live?

Since moving San Francisco's East Bay area, my price compass seems only to point North or spin out of control. I have never been anywhere where things are so blamed expensive. Beef is a perfect example.

It seems to be an annual ritual here. Right around Memorial Day the prices for beef and any other grillable slab of meat skyrocket. Even at Costco you can see the price change from one day to the next. After Labor Day, you see the prices plummet, especially for beef. They are literally throwing carcasses at you until the overstock is sold.

From a casual point of view and within the above frame of reference, I frankly have not observed lesser prices. I usually wait to go to my HQ in Dallas and then I simply eat steak every day and get it out of my system at a price I can afford.