Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Chicken and artichoke 'pie'

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Chicken and artichoke 'pie'

by Jenise » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:04 am

Someone mentioning a barigoule yesterday reminded me that a recent tasting note on this board referenced a chicken and artichoke pie recipe by Paula Wolfert that they had a particular wine with, and that description intrigued me. So I googled that description just now and managed to find ostensibly that recipe posted on another website (for people who have had bariatric surgery!!!). It's even more intriguing than I had imagined with all that cumin and cinnamon and the phyllo encasement, and I can't wait to give it a go. In the meantime, if y'all will forgive me for posting something unvetted, thought I'd share.

Paula Wolfert's Chicken and Artichoke Pie

Ingredients:
4 small or 3 large chicken breasts
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cinnamon; another 1 tsp set aside for later
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 cup chicken stock
some olive oil
2 leeks, chopped
a handful of chopped parsley (about 1/2 a bunch)
a handful of chopped cilantro (same)
2 jars artichoke hearts (canned in oil), chopped
200 g feta cheese, crumbled
2 eggs
phyllo dough sheets (about a dozen for a large pie)
butter, melted (about 2-3 oz)

Preparation:
Bake chicken, covered, at moderate heat with spices and stock, about 30 mins; chop the chicken into small chunks, reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid for later.

Stir-fry chopped leeks with olive oil (about 10 mins, until they are soft).

Combine chicken, reserved juices, leeks, parsley, cilantro, artichokes, feta cheese, egg, and the extra cinnamon in a bowl; mix well.

Be careful not to let the phyllo dough sheets dry out (I roll them back up every time I take one sheet). Melt the butter; use a pastry brush to spread butter all over the sheet. Put the sheet into a greased baking dish, so that the edges hang over. Continue until you have about a dozen sheets, arranged all around the dish. Scoop the filling into the dish; fold over the edges of the pastry sheets. If the pie is not fully covered, butter up a few more sheets and arranged them in the middle so everything is covered. Brush the top of the pie with butter.

For a large pie, bake for 20 mins at a moderate-high temperature (I usually go for 350); then for another 20 mins at moderate temperature (e.g. 300), until the pastry is golden.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: RCP: Chicken and artichoke pie

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:56 am

This looks delicious to me, Jenise. I'll probably never make it in this form, since Gail doesn't like artichokes.

[Edited to remove bariatric comments that I was possibly misinformed on]
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Oh, that sounds good. I think it'll go on the menu for next week.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:41 pm

Jenise, In broad outline this resembles my bsteeya recipe. (The bsteeya does not have cheese and there is a whole lot more work with sugar and almonds but it is, at heart, a spiced chicken pie.)
no avatar
User

Susan B

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 30, 2009 12:17 pm

by Susan B » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:51 am

This does really sound good. Thanks for posting. I think my picky spouse will enjoy.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:42 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:This looks delicious to me, Jenise. I'll probably never make it in this form, since Gail doesn't like artichokes.

[Edited to remove bariatric comments that I was possibly misinformed on]

Don't worry about whatever you edited it out--it was probably the same thing I thought when I realized where I was. :)

Too bad about Gail and artichokes!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:43 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Jenise, In broad outline this resembles my bsteeya recipe. (The bsteeya does not have cheese and there is a whole lot more work with sugar and almonds but it is, at heart, a spiced chicken pie.)

Yes, I thought that too--same construct, different flavors.