Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Outdoor pizza ovens

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Outdoor pizza ovens

by Jenise » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:23 pm

My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Outdoor pizza ovens

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:57 pm

The guy across the street from me reps these (or something very similar) for the manufacturer, so he has one in his back yard. He brought it out for our Memorial Day block party and I was quite impressed. He had it up to somewhere around 700° in pretty short order and was putting out a great thin crust pizza every ten minutes or so. They came out perfectly, with just a little char on the crust and a little chewiness. It was pretty neat to have a wood fired pizza oven that could be up and going in a matter of minutes, although the downside is that you have to keep feeding in the wood and watching the temp to make sure you don't overshoot or undershoot. He said the first time he tried it, he got a little overzealous with the wood. When he put the first pie in, it was like watching time lapse photography of a cooking pizza. Within ten or fifteen seconds, the crust was brown and starting to char. He grabbed the peel and pushed it into the oven to get the pizza out, and the peel promptly caught on fire. He has it all dialed in now, though, and it works great.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child