Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

When restaurant names don't exactly pull you in

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

When restaurant names don't exactly pull you in

by Jenise » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:23 pm

I was just reading about a wine event in Seattle that I got invited to attend, and I was kind of interested until I read the list of food purveyors who would also be hosting the event.

a handful of local food trucks, including Lumpia World, Marination Mobile, Sweet Wheels and Tokyo Dog

Nothing against food trucks, but....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: When restaurant names don't exactly pull you in

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:07 pm

There's a Chinese place in Tulsa called Takee Outee. Nope, I have not been tempted to check it out.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:42 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:There's a Chinese place in Tulsa called Takee Outee. Nope, I have not been tempted to check it out.

Maybe they serve congee?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Funny you mention that. We just saw a place in Pinehurst called Wedgies. We finally learned it was a pizza place, but both observed that it wasn't a name that would pull you in or clue you in.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:20 pm

Just saw in today's paper that a local restaurant shut its doors last week - Action Erection Beer & BBQ. No, I'd never heard of that place, nor would that name draw me in. :shock:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:Just saw in today's paper that a local restaurant shut its doors last week - Action Erection Beer & BBQ. No, I'd never heard of that place, nor would that name draw me in. :shock:

DitTO on that! But I actually like Takee Outee. Unlike Lumpia World, it suggests a tongue-in-cheek kind of sophistication that might make me think it has something on the ball.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:54 pm

Maybe you would have enjoyed Chairman Bao. Cutesy name, but holy picked Daikon, Batman!

Our local sushi joint is "Man Puku." I think it's pronounced "Poo-Koo," so really both ways are bad.

Also, outside of L.A., I have personally seen a storefront whose permanent sign read "Convenience Sore." Oh my.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:56 pm

A Thai opened in Redding at an upscale strip mall area. I did a double take one day when I saw the name, "Phuket" I've never had a desire to go there,
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:A Thai opened in Redding at an upscale strip mall area. I did a double take one day when I saw the name, "Phuket" I've never had a desire to go there,

So you just said"Ph...." no, that's just too easy. Many Vancouverites holiday in Phuket so the name would resonate with them. Didn't know if you were aware that it was a well known resort area.

Some of the notorious oddball names:

Portland:

In Mass.

And last but far from least in London England:

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:28 pm

So you just said"Ph...." no, that's just too easy. Many Vancouverites holiday in Phuket so the name would resonate with them. Didn't know if you were aware that it was a well known resort area.

I found out after I came home and researched it, that same day. It is actually a chain of restaurants. My husband just informed me that we have eaten there. I remember now, it was in the middle of winter, pouring down rain, very cold. We were at the locally owned grocery store in that complex and saw the restaurant. We ran over and had lunch. It was very clean, and I can't reccall the food at all. It has been there for a few years, so it must be good, and probably a place where a lot of locals go, because it is off the beaten path.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:38 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:A Thai opened in Redding at an upscale strip mall area. I did a double take one day when I saw the name, "Phuket" I've never had a desire to go there,

Vacation area with some beautiful beaches in Thailand. I know about the area for years but if one didn't I could see why you reacted.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:48 pm

Here in Sac, we have the Pho King and (for those who want a threesome, I suppose), the Pho King 2.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:52 am

Down in these parts, people are encouraged to pronounce Phuket as "Pew-ket" but I believe the people who live there pronounce it just the way it looks.
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:19 am

Here in Tucson we have a restaurant named Cock Asian. -RP
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:57 am

Matilda L wrote:Down in these parts, people are encouraged to pronounce Phuket as "Pew-ket" but I believe the people who live there pronounce it just the way it looks.

My Thai acquaintances pronounce it "poo-KET," but I don't know if that's the universal pronunciation.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:24 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Here in Sac, we have the Pho King ...

Yes and so does Los Angeles and I think other places too, and some other name variations along those lines.

Moreover, some readers far from large ethnic-Vietnamese populations (such as exist in parts of California including mine) may not fully realize the issue here:

The word is not, in fact, "Pho" but "Phở" (if you're lucky, your software displays the Vietnamese modified vowel there) and its proper, classic, pronunciation is (give or take Vietnamese regional nuances) roughly "fuh" (per NYC "fuhgeddaboudit!"). (Food-history note: Some Vietnamese experts hold that the word adapts the French feu, fire, and that the national beef-soup dish itself derived from the classic French pot-au-feu, which was indeed introduced, along with cattle raising, during French colonial influence on Vietnam preceding Phở's popularization. Vietnamese pronunciation of Phở does resemble French feu.) In my region (silicon valley), almost everyone, gringos included, pronounces it "fuh" unless they're new to the soup, and don't realize that the P-H-O spelling is an anglicized corruption.

So it'd be interesting to chat with one of the owners who elected to dub their restaurants with names that phoneticize like "fuh-king." None of which is even remotely as important to fans of this soup as is the quality of the broth -- which is easy but slow to make well (I've done it -- like pot-au-feu except for seasonings), but routinely shortcutted in restaurants with commercial soup bases and MSG, to the constant vocal exasperation of émigré Vietnamese gastronomes.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:01 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Here in Sac, we have the Pho King and (for those who want a threesome, I suppose), the Pho King 2.

I guess Vietnamese food can be good or it can be Pho King good!! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:13 pm

Shaji M wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Here in Sac, we have the Pho King and (for those who want a threesome, I suppose), the Pho King 2.

I guess Vietnamese food can be good or it can be Pho King good!! :twisted:

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:46 pm

Tujunga had The Poo Ping Palace.

Not because of the name but we like
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:53 pm

I told this story at the time it happened. A local radio personality had started down the slippery road to a so-called nervous breakdown. He did live commercials during which he would call the owner of a restaurant on the phone and talk about its wonderful features. He called Red's Restaurant once, and the owner got called away for a few moments during the commercial. The personality went off on a tangent about how words are just words and said the food at Red's would be as good if the restaurant were named Red's Butt Hole. When Red came back on the air, the personality told him he had advertised the restaurant as Red's Butt Hole and what did he think of that. The biggest stretch of dead air (pregnant pause) I have ever heard on the radio followed. I laughed so hard I cried.