Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby David Raccah » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:34 pm

YoelA wrote:I think what we will do tonight is open 2005 Four Gates syrah for the red and 2010 Domaine Netofa for the white.

So Yoel - what did you think about the 05 Syrah?
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User avatar
David Raccah
Wine guru
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Sam M » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Dalton alma smv 2009- delicious

Hagafen 2010 roussane - very enjoyable ,

Yarden 2006 viognier - I posted on an earlier thread a few weeks ago that it was drinking very nicely.
Well, I opened 2 bottles from that same case on Sunday that were both totally undrinkable.
Sam M
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby YoelA » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:25 am

David: The 2005 syrah was definitely ready to drink. Strong plummy flavors that lasted, and the wine was still fine the next day. Don't know how much longer, if at all, it should be kept.
User avatar
YoelA
Wine guru
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: San Francisco area

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby David Raccah » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:44 am

I had it and the 2004 and 2003 and they bth tasted structurally fine, but who knows.

Thanks or the info
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User avatar
David Raccah
Wine guru
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Daniel Kovnat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Sam M wrote:Dalton alma smv 2009- delicious

Hagafen 2010 roussane - very enjoyable ,

Yarden 2006 viognier - I posted on an earlier thread a few weeks ago that it was drinking very nicely.
Well, I opened 2 bottles from that same case on Sunday that were both totally undrinkable.


Sam, I don't think Viognier was meant to be kept this long, even under the most ideal of conditions. I drink Viognier young.

Dan
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
User avatar
Daniel Kovnat
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:36 am
Location: Israel

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Basic and Simple

Yarden MT Hermon Red.. Such Value.. Crazy..

and a Shot of Zwack Slivovitz..
Yet heard some Great Niggun's at the Tish in Skver :)
Last edited by Yehoshua Werth on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User avatar
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm
Location: Monsey, New York USA

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby DavidPer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Drinking Galil Mountain Alon 2009 right now. A fantastic value for money blend of CS, Syrah, Petit Verdot and CF. Only in Israel!
DavidPer
Wine geek
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:01 am
Location: Israel

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Jonathan K » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:10 pm

2009 Four Gates Cabernet Sauvignon. I believe this wine will be better in 6 months to a year but I will never know because I will be out.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:27 am

Thought its interesting and rare that 3 people on the thread coincidentaly had the same wine the Alon!
Harry J
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Elie Poltorak » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:29 am

Jonathan K wrote:2009 Four Gates Cabernet Sauvignon. I believe this wine will be better in 6 months to a year but I will never know because I will be out.

Jonathan:
Thanks for the heads-up. Benyo only allocated me one bottle of the CS so based on your suggestion, I'll wait a year before opening it.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Jonathan K » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:42 pm

Elie Poltorak wrote:
Jonathan K wrote:2009 Four Gates Cabernet Sauvignon. I believe this wine will be better in 6 months to a year but I will never know because I will be out.

Jonathan:
Thanks for the heads-up. Benyo only allocated me one bottle of the CS so based on your suggestion, I'll wait a year before opening it.


It's not like the 09 Cab Franc that either needs plenty of air or to be held for a year, the CS is drinking pretty well now but will probably improve. I have one (maybe 2) bottles left that won't see 2013 so I'll post back when I have it again.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby David Raccah » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:36 pm

Jonathan - you meant the 2007 Cab Franc - yeah the Cab Franc is released at the same cadence as his Merlot, as they are grapes from his vineyard, which are highly acidic and take time to calm down. Much like French grapes/wines.

Also, I agree that the 2007 Franc is not ready still. Enjoyable now, but only after two hours of decanting. The 2009 Cab is lovely now - just be ready to open it an hour ahead of time - no need to decant.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User avatar
David Raccah
Wine guru
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Adam N » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:46 am

Had a pleasant surprise last night in the store tasting. Teperberg Malbec 2009- Needed a few hours to open up, but at 79 nis, I thought it was great wine. Fuller bodied then previous vintages. On the flip side, had a Avnai Choshen Odem Syrah 2009. Gotta say, not impressed for the price (119 nis). Found it to be a little bit on the lighter side of Syrah.
Adam N
Wine geek
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:33 am

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Gabriel Geller » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:50 am

Adam N wrote:On the flip side, had a Avnai Choshen Odem Syrah 2009. Gotta say, not impressed for the price (119 nis). Found it to be a little bit on the lighter side of Syrah.

Hi Adam, have you (or anyone else, please don't be shy :mrgreen: ) tasted already Avnei Hachoshen Yahalom 2009? I really wonder how does it compare to the previous vintages that were magnificent and if it's ready for drinking.

Best,

GG
User avatar
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1336
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm
Location: Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Jonathan K » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:16 am

David Raccah wrote:Jonathan - you meant the 2007 Cab Franc - yeah the Cab Franc is released at the same cadence as his Merlot, as they are grapes from his vineyard, which are highly acidic and take time to calm down. Much like French grapes/wines.

Also, I agree that the 2007 Franc is not ready still. Enjoyable now, but only after two hours of decanting. The 2009 Cab is lovely now - just be ready to open it an hour ahead of time - no need to decant.

David

Oops!! Did I get the vintage wrong? I was doing it from memory. Thanks for the correction and I agree about both wines.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Adam N » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:16 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:
Adam N wrote:On the flip side, had a Avnai Choshen Odem Syrah 2009. Gotta say, not impressed for the price (119 nis). Found it to be a little bit on the lighter side of Syrah.

Hi Adam, have you (or anyone else, please don't be shy :mrgreen: ) tasted already Avnei Hachoshen Yahalom 2009? I really wonder how does it compare to the previous vintages that were magnificent and if it's ready for drinking.

Best,

GG


Nope. Still on 2008.
Adam N
Wine geek
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:33 am

Previous

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests