Parve (non-dairy) cheese in Israel?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Parve (non-dairy) cheese in Israel?

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:09 am

Hello folks,

I'm desperately looking for kosher imitation cheese and imitation blue cheese in particular in Israel. For those of you that happen to know the kosher steakhouse Shiloh's on Pico Blvd in Los Angeles, they serve an amazing smoke cured beef burger topped with imitation blue cheese that blew my mind the first time I had it and as well a no less good imitation blue cheese crusted filet steak... 8)

So please let me know if you know where to get good imitation cheese in Israel! :wink:

Thanks,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Re: Parve (non-dairy) cheese in Israel?

Postby Mark Lieser » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Gabriel:

Regardless of how good you claim this stuff was, I think Rogov is turning over in his grave knowing that on a food forum he started, someone is singing the praises of fake cheese! :lol:

If memory, serves, he was quite adamant that if you keep kosher and want to eat good cheese, then eat a dairy meal. But, any attempt to "fake it" was just an insult to quality food.

Perhaps that's why you waited until his name was no longer on the forum title before posting this?

Mark
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Mark Lieser wrote:Gabriel:

Regardless of how good you claim this stuff was, I think Rogov is turning over in his grave knowing that on a food forum he started, someone is singing the praises of fake cheese! :lol:

If memory, serves, he was quite adamant that if you keep kosher and want to eat good cheese, then eat a dairy meal. But, any attempt to "fake it" was just an insult to quality food.

Perhaps that's why you waited until his name was no longer on the forum title before posting this?

Mark

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark with all due respect to Rogov z.l. I never judged what he used to eat and where and I assume he's not anymore interested where he might be now (I assume and like to imagine him swimming between 3 pools one containing Chateau Cheval Blanc 1947, one Chateau d'Yquem 1811 and one of Krug Brut 1996) in all the schmonses we guys now talk about here... I really like those dishes at Shiloh's and was surprised how good that fake cheese was with the meat as I used to be extremely suspicious with this kind of stuff. I believe also that I'm not the only one thinking that it is tasty so if anyone on this forum can provide the info that I'm looking for, I will be very grateful to him/her. :wink:

Jon, Craig, Dave Raccah: I assume one of you if not even all of you three had once a meal there so perhaps you know what I'm talking about and can express an opinion here?
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Mark Lieser » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Ok....go for it!

I have to take your word. I just shudder to think of what ingredients go into stuff like that?

Mark
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner