Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Clumpy oils in my marinated veggies

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Clumpy oils in my marinated veggies

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:06 pm

This summer with an extra person living with us, I like to keep a couple of things in the refer. Cucumbers and sweet onions in white vinegar and oil, also three bean marinated salad. Both are great for our grandson to pack in his lunch, or as a side to dinner on a hot summer night. I use Wesson Vegetable oil for both. While the cukes usually have white vinegar, I like seasoned rice vinegar for the three bean salad. I don't have a problem with the oil in the cucumber getting clumps, but I do with the beans. Maybe it is the water dilution from the cukes that prevent that? Does anyone know of an oil that is more resistant to becoming clumpy? I tried olive oil and it is terrible.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Clumpy oils in my marinated veggies

by Jenise » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Olive oil congeals so it's never wise to use it in anything you chill, as you've learned; but I've never had that experience with any other oil and, like you, I make a lot of cold, marinated food. My current favorite neutral oil is Spectrum Safflower Oil, but over the years I've used various other conventional brands and never had this problem with any of them. I can't begin to imagine what would cause the very same oil to congeal in the one circumstance you name and not the other. Maybe the scientists here will have some opinion...?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:14 pm

Recommend grape seed oil. We get Whole Foods store brand and it never congeals in the fridge.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:40 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Recommend grape seed oil. We get Whole Foods store brand and it never congeals in the fridge.

Why doesn't the grape seed oil congeal? Going to try it. Thanks!

Jenise,I'm also going to try the safflower oil. While I found all sorts of Spectrum oils, two stores did not have the safflower. I did find Hain's organic safflower oil and will try that brand.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:43 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Carl Eppig wrote:Recommend grape seed oil. We get Whole Foods store brand and it never congeals in the fridge.

Why doesn't the grape seed oil congeal? Going to try it. Thanks!

You really sure that you want to know? It has to do with the types of fats in the oil: the fewer unsaturations in the fat, the more likely it is to solidify in the fridge. Olive oil is a monounsaturated fat and starts to freeze at fridge temp, which is why it clumps. Grapeseed oil is 72% polyunsaturated fat, so it doesn't freeze at fridge temp.

Jenise,I'm also going to try the safflower oil. While I found all sorts of Spectrum oils, two stores did not have the safflower. I did find Hain's organic safflower oil and will try that brand.

There are two different types of safflower oil (high oleic and high linoleic), the former of which is more common. I'd guess that the high oleic variety will behave a lot like olive oil.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:50 pm

There are two different types of safflower oil (high oleic and high linoleic), the former of which is more common. I'd guess that the high oleic variety will behave a lot like olive oil.

Drat! I just checked and the high oleic is what I have. So, OK, must remember to take the dish from the fridge a little early. Thanks...I learn something every day of my life! :D