Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

After a few days off my feet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: After a few days off my feet

by Bob Henrick » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:50 pm

Jenise wrote:A report from the front: able to get around better now and tired of being useless, I decided today to polish all the lower kitchen cabinets (this of course requires that Bob pitch in and do the uppers--good planning, eh girls? :wink: ) and flipped on the TV to fill the silence and found The Chew. What were they cooking? Absof---inglutely nothing. They were doing Oscar fashion, and worse: audience makeovers! This show isnt about food, it's about boredom and insecurity.

Kind of like 60 minutes huh?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:59 pm

So Jenise, on our cross country trip, we stopped in Knoxville, TN to have some work done on the RV so I ventured out to get a pedicure. I sat next to a very chatty, super-nice woman and we got to talking about cooking, and cooking shows. She asked if I ever watched The Chew. I hemmed and hawed a bit since I kind of knew where the conversation was leading and I didn't want to offend this very pleasant woman. Bottom line, she watches it every day. Loves the cast, loves what they talk about, thinks they have great recipes. She admits, she likes to cook, but she's not very good at it. (Not often you hear someone say that...usually if they are good at it they love it, otherwise not so much. No?) So apparently there ARE viewers. :)

As an aside, I was blown away by Knoxville. Such a great city. I've never had so many strangers initiate converstations with me in my life and everyone was SO nice. Retail personnel, waitstaffs, patrons in the nailshop, people waiting in the checkout line, etc...
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:42 pm

Carrie L. wrote:So Jenise, on our cross country trip, we stopped in Knoxville, TN to have some work done on the RV so I ventured out to get a pedicure. I sat next to a very chatty, super-nice woman and we got to talking about cooking, and cooking shows. She asked if I ever watched The Chew. I hemmed and hawed a bit since I kind of knew where the conversation was leading and I didn't want to offend this very pleasant woman. Bottom line, she watches it every day. Loves the cast, loves what they talk about, thinks they have great recipes. She admits, she likes to cook, but she's not very good at it. (Not often you hear someone say that...usually if they are good at it they love it, otherwise not so much. No?) So apparently there ARE viewers. :)

As an aside, I was blown away by Knoxville. Such a great city. I've never had so many strangers initiate converstations with me in my life and everyone was SO nice. Retail personnel, waitstaffs, patrons in the nailshop, people waiting in the checkout line, etc...

She might also be someone who watches a lot of TV and doesn't need much encouragement to turn one on. :) Most of the people I've heard speak well of it are exactly that kind of person: the TV's on all day anyway. People like you and I require something a lot more compelling to cause us to turn it on.

Good news about Knoxville! I only got as far as Chattanooga recently and had not been to the state at all before, but I loved what little I saw of Tennessee recently. Looks like beautiful country.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:14 pm

Jenise wrote:She might also be someone who watches a lot of TV and doesn't need much encouragement to turn one on. :) Most of the people I've heard speak well of it are exactly that kind of person: the TV's on all day anyway. People like you and I require something a lot more compelling to cause us to turn it on.

Exactly. She was EXACTLY that person.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
Previous