Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Ham hock and mustard green terrine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Ham hock and mustard green terrine

by Jenise » Mon May 28, 2012 6:27 pm

Per Christian's request, this is what went into the terrine I made last week, where smoked pork shanks (aka ham hocks) and mustard greens stood in for the ham and parsley in a traditional Burgundian Jambon Persille terrine. The terrine mold I used is a half-moon shape that holds 2.5 cups when I measure it's volume with water, but it will take 1.5 cups gelatin, over 2 cups of ham and a handful of mustard greens.

Here's a picture of the leftovers which we had for lunch today.

IMG_4181.JPG

Ingredients:

About three cups ham hock or city ham, trimmed of fat and sinew and cut into large inch or so chunks
Water to cover, about two and a half cups
Bay leaf
5 whole cloves
1 shallot, finely diced and tossed with vinegar or lemon juice to tame and sweeten
About 1.5 cups mustard greens, stems removed
2 envelopes Knox gelatin

Preparation:

Place the ham in a small stock pan and cover with water. Add bay leaf and cloves; simmer for about 90 minutes. Prepare the shallots.

When the ham's ready, remove the meat to a separate bowl. Throw the cloves and bay leaves away. Quickly blanch the mustard green leaves in the hot broth and set aside to drain. Reserve the liquid; let cool. Break the ham apart in hunks--depending on the size of your mold, pieces can be larger or smaller. For the small half-moon mold I used here, the pieces are no more than 1/2" in diameter. For a loaf style pan the pieces could be a little larger.

When cool enough to handle, chop the mustard greens well.

Pour the broth into a large measuring cup to make sure you have about 2 cups. Divide by pouring about half the broth back into the pan. Sprinkle both envelopes of gelatin over non-pan half and whisk in. Reheat the pan half and add that to the gelatin half to ensure all gelatin dissolves.

Line a terrine mold with cling film. Sprinkle in some of the mustard greens and layer in the ham pieces, stopping every so often to add more mustard greens and distribute some of the shallots. Keep pressing to pack the ingredients in tightly. When the pan is full, pour over the gelatine mixture--you may have some left over but it's better to have a little much than not enough.

Wrap the mold in cling film and chill overnight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

Re: RCP: Ham hock and mustard green terrine

by CMMiller » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:28 pm

Great, thank you, and it looks delicious! I love Jambon Persille' but my daughter actively dislikes parsley (unusual, I admit, a few people love it, most are indifferent). So this will come in handy as a substitute.