What's the Egg Cream of today?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

What's the Egg Cream of today?

Postby Edward G Robinson » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:08 pm

As I shudder every time I see an egg cream on a supermarket shelf next to the expensive micro sodas, i wonder: what's the Spring/Summer Egg Cream these days?

I'm looking to broaden my horizons.

Lime Ricky would be my default for the non-dairy classic non-alcoholoc refresher.

I miss Rogov's repartee, lets see what we can do to honor his request to continue these threads
Where's your Rogov Now?
Edward G Robinson
Wine geek

Re: What's the Egg Cream of today?

Postby Harry J » Fri May 04, 2012 7:26 am

if i remember correctly every time this discussion came up he would remenisce about his days in brooklyn..i too vaguely remeber having them in a local candy store. your post inspires me to try it at home. h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat May 05, 2012 6:15 pm

I agree, that's really a shame that the culinary corner is almost dead, I will try to post from now on every time I'll have a good restaurant recommendation.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Shlomo R » Thu May 24, 2012 8:50 am

I'm suppressing a shudder as I type this, but I think the egg cream of today is the Slurpee. (gag)
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby Mark Lieser » Thu May 24, 2012 10:26 am

I'm glad you're shuddering and gagging. The mere suggestion that the slurpee and egg cream be mentioned in the same paragraph ought to get you banned from this forum!! (That was a joke, for all those following the drama on the wine side.)

Since I moved away from the NY area over 20 years ago, I haven't had a decent egg cream in ages (and certainly not since making aliyah.) And my life is all the poorer for that. I think that this is such a generational thing that the quality egg cream may be of historical interest only. However, if someone on this forum knows where to get a good one, I would consider travelling for the experience!

Mark
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Thu May 24, 2012 12:31 pm

You should certainly make yourself one. With the recent "vintage" craze encompassing food as well, you can now easily obtain fountain-style seltzer and Fox's required U-Best Chocolate sauce!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Mark Lieser » Thu May 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Years ago I tried with the Fox's U-Bet and seltzer. It was always missing "something," and I could never get it to taste like the fountain ones I had growing up in the NYC area. If you have specific instructions/proportions, I'm all ears.

Mark
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Thu May 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Have you tried it with Soda Stream seltzer or just bottled (they do taste different)?
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Mark Lieser » Thu May 24, 2012 2:27 pm

Just bottled. I see the Soda Stream all over the place, but have no personal experience with it. My wife might strangle me if I bought another gadget just for the purpose of making egg creams. I have to think this one over, though, if you think it makes the difference!
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby David H » Sun May 27, 2012 1:19 am

There are bottled seltzers and there are bottled seltzers. Kinley (made by Coca Cola) is tasty, and/but has ingredients other than CO2 and H2O. For a more "authentic" -- i.e., bland -- taste, try Tempo's soda water. Not being from NY, I can't testify as to its eggcreamness.
Birthdays are nature’s way of telling us to eat more cake. --
Anon.
David H
Wine geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner