New Kosher Cava to be imported to Israel

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

New Kosher Cava to be imported to Israel

Postby Lior Yogev » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:08 am

I thought this might be of interest to our observant members. It seems someone has finally picked up the glove and began importing an entry-level sparkler. The someone is the Scotish Company and the glove is the Cava Castell d'Oulrdora (hope I spelled it right), with suggested retail price of 46NIS (~13$).

More details at the following item from Sommelier: http://www.sommelier.co.il/wine_news.asp?news=3&id=138

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Re: New Kosher Cava to be imported to Israel

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:55 am

Lior, Hi....

And following are my tasting notes for the wines in question.

Best
Rogov

Castell d'Olerdola, Brut, Cava, n.v. (Kosher Edition): A very appealing Cava, crisply dry, with sharp, well-focused, long-lasting bubbles and showing light yeasty notes that highlight pink grapefruit, citrus peel and green apple notes. Drink now. Score 86. K (Re-tasted 7 Aug 2008)

Castell d'Olerdola, Semi-Seco, Cava, n.v. (Kosher Edition): Not so much semi-seco but with a quite generous note of sweetness and thus destined primarily as an aperitif or dessert wine. Sharp bubbles, a long mousse and appealing aromas and flavors of citrus and tropical fruits on a background of as a "French toast" background. Could use a bit more acidity to add liveliness. Most enjoyable when served on several ice cubes. Drink now. Score 86. K (Re-tasted 7 Aug 2008)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Yoni M » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:55 pm

Hi Lior,

This Cava has been imported to Israel for a few months now. I find it delicious.
Yoni M
Wine geek

Postby Michael P » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:52 pm

Let me guess...not available in the US either?
Michael P
Ultra geek

Postby Andrew B » Wed May 02, 2012 3:40 pm

This might be a record for thread resurrection, but has anyone tasted these K Cavas here in the US?
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Wed May 02, 2012 4:01 pm

Andrew - it is all over the Internet :D . Onlykosherwine.com has it for 13 bucks. Here is the google shopping page as well:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Castell+ ... 24&bih=672

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Wed May 02, 2012 4:27 pm

David Raccah wrote:Andrew - it is all over the Internet :D . Onlykosherwine.com has it for 13 bucks. Here is the google shopping page as well:
David

Right...but I asked "has anyone tasted this"
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Finally had occasion to open this Cava, and just wanted to report that it is a lovely bottle, very flavorful and not overly complex, and can comfortably be served at a casual dining affair or a party. I personally prefer this to the Adar Cava. I still have the sweeter version to open another time.
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Kovnat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:04 am

They sell a couple of different not half bad brands of Cava in the supermarkets here in Israel. The one I purchased is Arnan Deloi. It is Kosher L'Mehadrin from Bnai Brak. The have a Demi Sec and a Brut, both sold, on special, for something like 50 shekels for two bottles (approx $7 each). Has anyone on either side of the pond dared to taste this Cava?

Dan
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
Daniel Kovnat
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:36 pm

I'm not selling this kind of stuff but while there are indeed many Cava brands available in Israeli supermarkets, most being indeed pleasant but not complex by any means (though I find many as having some bitterness that often turns me off), the best value for an inexpensive kosher sparkler is actually from France, Kraemer, available in both Brut and Blanc de Blancs versions for about NIS 28 at the Rami Levi supermarket chain.
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:17 pm

Now, I had the semi seco version of this Cava. I didn't find it to be sweet, but rich with fruit and plenty toasty. I read the label to learn that it was not in fact mevushal as I had thought (oops) and is in fact made in the traditional Champagne method, with secondary fermentation in bottle and aged for 16mo. I figured this was a bulk tank operation given the price. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it and will certainly seek it out again.

Does anyone know if the Elvi Cava also does secondary fermentation in the bottle and if so, how long they age it for? Didn't see anything in Raccah's Elvi report.
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Andrew Breskin wrote:Does anyone know if the Elvi Cava also does secondary fermentation in the bottle and if so, how long they age it for? Didn't see anything in Raccah's Elvi report.

Indeed yes, also 2nd fermentation in the bottle+12 months aging in the bottle. Source: The back label! :lol:
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks! Haven't had one in a while, and wasn't a great fan of it.
Seems like a lot of time and $ investment for an inexpensive bottle, but better for the consumer.
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:31 am

Indeed there are a few good Cava and Prosecco options out there. The Elvi is fine, but dollar for dollar cannot much beat the Hagafen sparkler, Yarden, or the Drappier. Cheaper option, I liked a lot of them, just do not expect much from them. Almost all the cheaper options still use methode Champenoise, as the extra work is not so bad and does add the extra dose of flavor that many of these cheapos desperately need.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:28 am

The En Fuego is dirt cheap and not too bad. Personally I think the Yarden Blanc de Blanc puts all the kosher Cavas on the market to shame for not that much more money.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:52 am

Elie Poltorak wrote:Personally I think the Yarden Blanc de Blanc puts all the kosher Cavas on the market to shame for not that much more money.

I second that 100%!
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:56 pm

I am favored too the
Tishbi Brut

Yet the Yarden is awesome :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Elie Poltorak wrote:The En Fuego is dirt cheap and not too bad. Personally I think the Yarden Blanc de Blanc puts all the kosher Cavas on the market to shame for not that much more money.

I don't think it's a great comparison but I see your point. The cavas are typically not vintage dated and they use indigenous varietals. I also find them on the drier side compared to the Yarden Bdb, and typically toastier, which I enjoy. I am however, a big fan of the Yarden Bdb, I just think it is sometimes a bit too full bodied for pairings with lighter food.
Andrew B
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum