The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 under-$10 French wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 under-$10 French wines

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:44 pm

Saturday Betsy was working a double; I spent day at benefit concert, then grabbed a small ribeye at grocery store. Sauteed some mushrooms in butter, then the steak in same pan, then deglazed with the 2001 Ch. des Vallees (Bordeaux Superieur). Had the wine with dinner, the plummy Merlot fruit had a little edge of earth and spice. Just a hint of oak, better acidity than some modern inexpensive Bordeaux. A longer finish and more structure would have moved grade up a bit, but as is a decent QPR ($9) and a B/B-.

After Betsy's matinee Sunday we headed towards Boston; David had college visits scheduled Monday at Emerson and BU. We spent the night in Concord with friends. They brought out some wine and cheese. The wine was the 2004 Secret de Campane (VDP de la Principaute d'Orange, a new appelation to me). Lighter Rhone-style wine, raspberry and cherry fruit. Bright acidity, nice flavors, the big problem is that there's a hint of sweetness on the finish, and the finish is a bit short. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Ben Coffman

Rank

Just got here

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:09 am

London E17, UK

Re: TN: 2 under-$10 French wines

by Ben Coffman » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:25 am

Dale Williams wrote:(VDP de la Principaute d'Orange, a new appelation to me).  

Dale, VDP de la Principaute d'Orange isn't an appellation, hence it's new to you. It's Vin de Pays from around Orange in the southern Rhone. Sometimes they have Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot in them.

Some of the Chateauneuf du Pape producers now make a VDP de la Principaute d'Orange as it is the VDP that covers the CNDP area.

Cheers
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: TN: 2 under-$10 French wines

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:22 am

Ben Coffman, what are you doing over here?!! Things a bit slow on Tom`s forum in the UK? Hope you can bring some sanity and knowledge to this colonial lot over here!!