The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: G.H. Mumm Champagne Cordon Rouge Brut NV

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: G.H. Mumm Champagne Cordon Rouge Brut NV

by geo t. » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:42 pm

G.H. Mumm Champagne Cordon Rouge Brut NV $35.99, 12%.: This bottle was quite likely two years old or more, from what the distributor rep who sold it to my predecessor tells me. I brought this one home to check out the condition of the wine, due to water damage to the labels that made it impossible to sell, and I was happy to find that what is in the bottle is doing just fine. Medium straw in color, with an active bead and plenty of froth in the mouth; the nose is all flint and unbuttered popcorn, with more of the same on the palate, anchored with a solid core of under-ripe apple and a hint of bread dough underneath it all. It shows good intensity on every level, with plenty of nervosity and good length on the finish. It’s somewhat ironic that I brought this home when I did, because I read some rather unkind remarks directed towards Cordon Rouge on some internet wine forums with regard to being in the Tigers’ clubhouse for both of their playoff celebrations, but we found it to be just fine, and even if it’s not the best Champagne around for the money, it still kicks Veuve Clicquot’s yellow ass every day of the year. But then, I suppose that’s not saying much…

Imported by Allied Domecq Wines, USA, Healdsburg, CA

-From Bubbles in October

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Last edited by geo t. on Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: G.H. Mumms Champagne Cordon Rouge Brut NV

by Jenise » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:02 pm

it still kicks Veuve Clicquot’s yellow ass every day of the year

You made me laugh. I've always thought Veuve quite okay, but on vacation recently with friends we had a choice of VC, Moet Imperial and Chinese bubbly every day for about three weeks. Have to say, I was sorry on the days we ran out of Moet and had to settle for the widow.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:34 pm

Let me pile on and agree that Veuve is overrated in my opinion as well. In that price range I prefer Taittinger La Francais.

And Geo.... nice to see you in another location off the Cigar board.

Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:37 pm

Can you get grower Champagnes where you live? I would never drink a Grande Marque if I could get a grower wine. K and L has an excellent Champagne buyer who has some excellent wines, some at well less than Veuve.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:34 pm

Jenise wrote: it still kicks Veuve Clicquot’s yellow ass every day of the year

You made me laugh.

Good, that was my intention!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :P
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:41 pm

Glenn Mackles wrote:Let me pile on and agree that Veuve is overrated in my opinion as well. In that price range I prefer Taittinger La Francais.

And Geo.... nice to see you in another location off the Cigar board.

Glenn

Hey Glenn, fancy meeting you here! I'd say welcome, but with 42 posts, you already know your way around. My wife Kim and I have been loitering here for more years than we may wish to admit, because it's a great online community, with a lot of divergent views and interests. Looking forward to tossing impressions and opinions back and forth with you more here, so hang around, eh?

Cheers,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:46 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:Can you get grower Champagnes where you live? I would never drink a Grande Marque if I could get a grower wine. K and L has an excellent Champagne buyer who has some excellent wines, some at well less than Veuve.

Oliver, we get Jean laurent's Champagnes here (love 'em!), and I think we might get Bonnaire as well, but I'll have to check on that. I sell Laurent's Blanc de Blancs and Blanc de Noirs for less than I do Veuve, and they're far better wines.

Cheers,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus