Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

In Praise of Top Sirloin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

In Praise of Top Sirloin

by John Tomasso » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:46 pm

The Rodney Dangerfield of steak, the top sirloin does not get respect, IMO. Beef eaters who overlook this tasty cut of meat are missing out on a QPR delight.

Sure, it can be a little chewy. But it's nothing a sharp steak knife and a good set of teeth can't handle. Beside, I like my meat to have a little chew to it. The beefy flavor it delivers more than makes up for the challenge in texture. While the top sirloin is a bit more difficult to cut into steaks than a strip or a ribeye, a seasoned butcher can separate the muscles pretty cleanly, and the top block will yield an ample number of single muscle, seamless, center cut steaks. The other stuff left over can be put to good use in stews, or ground up for burgers.

When I see the differential on menus between top sirloin steaks, and their uptown cousins, I almost have to pounce on the more favorably valued top. Case in point - at the Hitching Post Restaurant, the top sirloin dinner is about 1/3 less than the NY. Don't even get me started on the filet.

For pure, unadulterated, steak eating pleasure, I'll take a rib steak every time. But if value is to be considered in the equation, then my vote goes to that underappreciated king of qpr, the top sirloin steak.

What about you?
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

I'm a QPR man when it comes to steak ...

by Bill Spencer » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:24 pm

%^)

... just like my wines !

Top sirloin is also my number one ... I also have been known to cook a tri-tip steak or two ... rib steak is just too fat for me ... prefer a porterhouse if money is not the object ... filet is for sissies ... all that money but "where's the beef ?"

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: In Praise of Top Sirloin

by Jenise » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:50 pm

John, I've told this story before, but as a kid we had filet mignons every Saturday night (my father had a friend with a ranch who sent us boxes of these steaks for the freezer). I thought they were boring and tasteless, even with my father's odd marinades. Heaven was to go to Grammy's house and have a simple top sirloin broiled crispy but rare in her gas oven and then topped with nothing more than a pat of butter. HEAVEN. I'm totally with you: top sirloin is one of the best cuts of all, and I'm at a loss to understand it's inability to command the respect I think it's due.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov