Darna for dinner

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Darna for dinner

Postby Trevor F » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:23 am

Spent 48 hours in Israel this week from Tuesday to Thursday afternoon, c/o EasyJet's affordable fares.

After a visit to the medical faculty at the Hadassah Hospital I ended up at Darna for an early dinner. Darna is a kosher Moroccan restaurant, located behind the old Ron Hotel on Yafo Road in Jerusalem. I fancied a couscous and I was on my own. The welcome was effusive. I ordered from the fixed price menu.... first up was a chicken pastilla, freshly baked, followed by a braised beef couscous with seven vegetables. That is 7 types of vegetables although I didn't count them all. This was all served together in one dish. Usually you get the meat or chicken, the vegetables and the couscous in separate dishes with a separate bowl for the sauce. But this all came up in one go and I found it relatively congealed. You are certainly not left hungry after a couscous and this was no exception. Dessert was orange and grapefruit slices in rosewater and cinnamon with a sprinkling of walnuts. Actually this was incredibly delicious, the best part of the meal. With a soft drink the damage came to NIS140. Not a great meal but adequate and if you're after a kosher couscous one of the few places in Jerusalem to provide one.

www.darna.co.il

After another meeting the following morning at Tel Aviv University I had some time to kill prior to an early evening departure to London. I fancied a substantial lunch as I wouldn't get dinner in the evening. I parked the car opposite Manta Rey but ended up in the Dan Panorama for a buffet lunch. Help yourself to as much or as little as you want of the hot meat, chicken or fish offerings and then the cakes for dessert. Again with a soft drink the damage came to NIS 140, any meal in Israel now comes to NIS140. I didn't find the restaurant staff that welcoming, at least initially. They told me that the restaurant was closed when it looked perfectly open to me, full of diners queuing at the buffet ( this is not the first time that I have observed this in Israel, being told that things are shut when they're really open ). Also they asked me for my credit card prior to eating which I refused to do. They backed off after I told them that they would have to trust me. Is asking for a credit card before eating a Dan Hotels policy ?

I took a stroll after lunch in the hazy sunshine and ended up outside Tsar Goldman, a fish and seafood restaurant at the Jaffa end. Hadn't seen that one before - one for next time.
Trevor F
Ultra geek

Re: Darna for dinner

Postby Trevor F » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:49 pm

I flew from London Luton.

Usually Easy Jet's fares are half those of BA or EL Al but it depends how far in advance you book.... outside peak periods fare is GBP 250-320 return but I carry hand luggage. If you check in loads of baggage you pay extra.
Trevor F
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner