The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN's A couple of Good QPR Frenchies

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN's A couple of Good QPR Frenchies

by Jim Grow » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:41 pm

NV Lucien Albrecht Brut Rose Cremant from in Alsace. For $15, very good flavores of red raspberry and a little strawberry carried on a fine persistant bead

2000 Bel Air Bordeaux from Haut-Medoc, also on sale for $15. Lots of smooth dustyand earthy cherry flavors with perfect non-astringent tannins. I should have bought a case of each or more.[/b]
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: TN's A couple of Good QPR Frenchies

by Brian K Miller » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:20 pm

Cool. Have a Bellaire in my cellar. Did you buy it at BevMo?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Rockbridge Ohio

Bel Air

by Jim Grow » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:59 am

No I bought it at Calvert Woodley in D.C. and it may be a different wine than the Bellaire you mention.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Bel Air

by OW Holmes » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:35 am

I had a Bel Air, or BelAir, or Bellaire, a few years ago and when I investigated the name to see what I had, there were several wines named Bel Air or some very slight variation, mostly generic bordeaux types, mostly in the same price range, and I could never figure out which I actually had. Mine was really quite boring.
-OW
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:31 pm

Oliver, Brian et al,

Under Bel-Air, with the hyphen, Parker's book lists a Lalande de Pomerol and a Lussac-St. Emilion. Without the hyphen, there's the Premier Grand Cru Classe Belair from St. Emilion, and a Belair-Coubet and Belair-Montaiguillon from Cotes de Blaye and St. Georges-St. Emilion respectively. Additionally, there's a Villa Bel-Air from Graves. Jim's sounds close to what I know the last of those to be, but of course he said Haut Medoc so apparently there's yet another....

Jenise
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:43 pm

I bought two bottles of the Lucient Albrecht Brut Rose Cremant along with a Gewurztraminer from Mann at Calvert-Woodley when they were on sale. Finally picked them up in October and will probably open one bottle of the Cremant at Thanksgiving or in early December. Thanks for the notes.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:20 pm

Jim Grow wrote:No I bought it at Calvert Woodley in D.C. and it may be a different wine than the Bellaire you mention.

When were you at C-W? I have an order down there I am waiting for them to get together. It includes at least one bottle of the Albrecht rose. Should I add a few more? What about the Bordeaux?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Rockbridge Ohio

Calvert Woodley

by Jim Grow » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:39 pm

Hi James, I was at Calvert Woodley on Oct. 26-27 and they seemed to have a lot of the Albrecht Rose Brut. I would strongly recommend it as it was much more flavorful than most cheap sparklers. The Bel Air was also there and in abundance. I would also consider the 2003 Ch. Les Grands Marechaux for $17 which I also picked up. RMP gave it a "90" and the description sounded wonderful. I have notf tried it yet.