The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '91 Ch Montelena

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: '91 Ch Montelena

by wrcstl » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:30 am

My wife and I went to a local restaurant for a relaxing dinner and a good bottle of wine. This is when we usually open old Bordeaux but I wanted to see what the '91 Montelena was like since I had not opened one since it was first purchased well over 10 years ago. The color was deep red and the nose was quite forward with spicey notes of dark fruit. The first sip was very nice but in about 15 minutes the wine began to sing. We both really liked the wine and discussed in detail how to describe the flavor profile. I kept saying deep dark fruit but could not pass the test of "OK, but what fruit?" The best description agreed upon was ripe figs with a little bit of dates in the background and a slight hint of green pepper (not a bad thing). The finish was quite long. It was obviosly a new world wine but not at all over-the-top. The wine definitely lived up to its reputation and if all cabs were this good I would have more in my cellar. Give it an A, or 4+/5, or something well over 90 or just plain good. This wine has many years ahead of it so no need to rush to drink.
Walt