Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Lemon-Mustard Beef

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

RCP: Lemon-Mustard Beef

by Bill Spencer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:19 pm

With Fall in the air across most of the country and even Winter-like temperatures already invading part of the U.S., this dish made me think of "comfort food" for a cold, blustery day ...

1 Lb. Beef sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 Large fresh lemon, grated and juiced, zest and juice reserved
1 T Dijon-style mustard
2 T Peanut oil
1 Large sweet onion, cut into 1-inch dice
1 Large carrot, cut into 1/8 inch slices
2 Medium potatoes, scrubbed and diced (we always leave the skins on)
1 Large clove fresh garlic, minced
2 C Beef broth
Salt and pepper to taste

In a non-reactive mixing bowl, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, and mustard ... add the beef, stir to thoroughly coat, and set aside ... in a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat ... add the onions and saute for 1 minute ... add the carrots, potatoes, and garlic, cover and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes ... remove the vegetables from the skillet and set aside ... if necessary, add a little more oil to the skillet and, adding the beef mixture, sear the meat quickly on all sides over medium-high heat ... remove the beef mixture from the skillet and set aside ... pour the broth into the skillet, scraping the bottom to loosen the browned bits of beef ... return the vegetable and beef mixture to the skillet, cover, and let simmer gently over low heat for 40 minutes ... season with salt and pepper ... serve over egg noodles in large soup bowls or high rimmed plates ...

Makes 4 servings

Try this with the 2003 JanKris Winery "Crossfire" Paso Robles Estate Grown red table wine ... this cabernet, syrah, and merlot blend was a great slurpy accompaniment with this stew/soup or whatever you want to call it (just don't call me late to THIS dinner) ...
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: RCP: Lemon-Mustard Beef

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:51 pm

Looks great, Bill ... and, Meyer lemons just showed up for the season here!